Author Topic: Nice Older 1895  (Read 662 times)

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
Nice Older 1895
« on: December 18, 2007, 01:59:57 PM »
I bought an unusual 1895 Marlin .45-70 today. The S/N is B00XXXX.  It was made in 1972 (first year production.) The stock is much nicer than typically found on Marlins. The finish is very smooth and satiny almost like a Browning. It has a straight wrist, a round 22" barrel, a cresent buttplate, and a non-hooded front sight.   I'm told that they had Ballard rifling the first year.  The metal is 100% & the wood is perhaps 90%, but for a couple of dings it would be perfect.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline bomtek44

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Nice Older 1895
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 02:27:05 PM »
Ooooohhhh!  Pictures please! How do you find the stuff you find? I need you to find me a 72-74 336A.

Congratulations on the find. It sounds great.

bomtek44
bomtek44

Offline EsoxLucius

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 06:49:41 AM »
We're green!  ;D  Good for you!
We learn something new everyday whether we want to or not.

Offline crash87

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 02:55:49 AM »
Swampthing, I have in sitting next to me a rifle similar to yours. I picked it up about 3 years ago now. I was in the market for a Winchester (new production) 1886 L.W. when I stumbled upon this one in the used rack. Marlin 1895 S/N BOOXXXX, staight stock as they were when they first came out, round barrel/half magazine, front sight dovetailed in the barrel and cresent, or what I would refer to as a semi-crecent butt. The one thing I've been trying to determine is the ballard rifling issue. I have 2 written acounts from writers, Brian Pearce, and Ken Waters stating while they have heard that ballard rifling was used on the first ones, they have not, to date, come across any. I would echo that, as I have not seen any to date either. Mine has Microgroove rifling as does a friend of mines rifle and there is no stamping on the barrel saying so.(could this be where the assumption comes from?). I might add, His has a period scope on his, a Weaver 3X with a post reticile! I added a A.O. ghost ring with their post front sight. I bought it on a closeout for $25.00, I was on a roll that day. I shoot 400 gr. LBT LFN that I cast from wheelweights. So far it has accounted for one Wis. Black bear and one Montana Bison. You've got yourself one hell of a rifle there, I know I do. CRASH87

Offline crash87

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 03:01:06 AM »
Excuse me, its Swampman, I'm sorry about that. I'd like to add I also had a few miniscule dings in the wood. I didn't really care for that as I like to be the one who adds character to the, "MY" rifle. Which I have, and those dings and a scratch or 2 are a story all in themselves. CRASH87

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 01:53:53 PM »
I have an almost new looking late 1960s era Weaver K4 made in ElPaso, TX that I'm going to send off to be rebuilt and have the Duplex crosshairs installed in it.  It will be mounted using the old style Weaver Tip-off rings on a Weaver one piece base.  I think I'm going to install a Marlin leather sling even though I hate to drill a hole in the buttstock.  I don't like those leather cuff sling things, and I don't plan on ever selling this rifle.  I must say this is probably the nicest handling rifle I've ever owned.  It's perfectly balanced.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline crash87

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2007, 02:21:42 AM »
Looks like you found the right rifle to go with the scope. Yes, it is one fine handling rifle, also I've noticed the action is slick and smooth. I would have to believe this isn't just from usage, as I don't think mine was used all that much, but from quality and workmanship put into the rifle at the time of mfg. I also own a 1894C which dates to circa 1983, lets just say I've developed callouses on my knuckles working the action. BIG difference in the smoothness of the action. But I wouldn't trade any of them off for a-n-y-t-h-i-n-g. CRASH87