Author Topic: What tha heck!  (Read 3103 times)

Offline jhm

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: What tha heck!
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2007, 06:32:57 AM »
I saw a taxidermist mount one 1/2 of a deer head and neck area on a MIRROR the reflection made it look as if it was a full perfect deer, saw it at one of the Big buck shows, I thought it was vary interesting to look at.   JIM

Offline The Gamemaster

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2007, 11:05:51 AM »
Whats the matter with trophy hunting? I do it all the time but the meat goes to a good cause. I don't think trophy huntin is wrong.

The way I was brought up - meat is meat.  You can't eat the antlers.

There is more to brag about if you shoot a spike buck in the middle of the George Washington National Forest than a 10 point in a pen.

All the people that I see on the TV hunting shows - none of them actually earned their deer.  All they did was make a nice shot.  With camera angles and lenses - they can make a 60 yard shot look like a 300 yards shot.  Even then what does it matter because they were hunting in a fence anyways.

My dad always said, if you don't eat the meat, you shouldn't shoot the deer.

Giving it away and then going back out the same day or the next day and trying to shoot another one - just for bragging rights is just being a pig!

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2007, 02:03:09 AM »
YOU CAN'T EAT THE RACK FER SURE !
but ya can keep it to let other people see what a rack looks like or how big a buck can grow one to show the beauty of the animal !
I guess some folks feel museums are a waste of time .
i also guess those that claim to preserve hunting but feel that the meat should not be given away have forgotten that in many cultures the hunter was the one who fed the village not just himself !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2007, 11:59:12 AM »
Whats the matter with trophy hunting? I do it all the time but the meat goes to a good cause. I don't think trophy huntin is wrong.

The way I was brought up - meat is meat.  You can't eat the antlers.

There is more to brag about if you shoot a spike buck in the middle of the George Washington National Forest than a 10 point in a pen.

All the people that I see on the TV hunting shows - none of them actually earned their deer.  All they did was make a nice shot.  With camera angles and lenses - they can make a 60 yard shot look like a 300 yards shot.  Even then what does it matter because they were hunting in a fence anyways.

My dad always said, if you don't eat the meat, you shouldn't shoot the deer.

Giving it away and then going back out the same day or the next day and trying to shoot another one - just for bragging rights is just being a pig!

I don't hunt in pins. I never have and never will but don't rightly know how that got brought up? As far as hunting shows some do hunt in pins but most don't. I have seen the places where they have hunted. They will stay months at a time after that one deer and believe it or not they eat the meat. As far as the camera shots yes that can be done but isn't. I hunt and if I kill a buck and go back the next weekend and go hunting for another buck that makes me a pig. You find me one person who hunts just for bragging rights? Thats just part of it. Belive me hunting isn't going out and killing the first deer you see. I have only killed one spike in my life and that was because it was a very old deer that looked like an African game animal. I didn't eat the meat because I needed no more meat. It was given away and same with the buck that was taken right before I got out of my stand the same day. I know starving family's like the meat.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2007, 12:01:27 PM »
It makes me feel good when I help some starving child with my kill. But I guess in your mind I brag and I am a pig about it. I do not know one hunter who threw his meat away unless there was something wrong with it.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2007, 01:51:36 AM »
Here we go again....... ::)

Another morals and ethics dilemma......

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2007, 03:24:35 AM »
Here we go again....... ::)

Another morals and ethics dilemma......

Not sure how that fits in.  I have spoken my peace and that's about all I have to say unless a comment comes back.

Rick

Offline usmc2111

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2007, 01:38:12 PM »
Ok I'm guilty of hunting in a pen. I hunt military installations and they have a fence around them. But I also hunt approx 1100 acres lease I have. And I shot an 8point a month ago and went right back the next morning. So I'm a pig to. And like you 30-06, I to give to the Hunter for the Hungry program.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2007, 02:40:50 AM »
gee in Va. we can kill 2 deer a day ! guess we are gluttons !
I know this will irritate some - i don't see any difference in killing 2 deer or 2 quail or more if the law allows ! if the deer are abundant and can take the hunting pressure then have at it !
i don't see one game animal as being " better " or deserving better treatment than the rest ! its a numbers game plain and simple !
as far as fenced hunting , it allows exotics to be hunted with out damage to open land and native critters ! its no less Nobel than killing a cow in a pen to eat !
I feel some try to justify killing by turning it into a ceremony ! Its how life is sustained something dies so something else lives ! If you need to surround yourself with the drama associated with a hard hunt - go for it but if others sit back in a shooting house or canned hunt or what ever legal way the hunt back off let them enjoy ! in the end the critter is dead and all that went on before the shot means little at that point ! at least to the critter !

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2007, 03:01:06 AM »

as far as fenced hunting , it allows exotics to be hunted with out damage to open land and native critters ! its no less Nobel than killing a cow in a pen to eat !

Exotics are different. I meant like hunting big bucks or natives that were pin reside and then let loose for some rich person to hunt. I don't like that but I really don't care as long as it doesn't involve me. I would hunt exotics in a pin if I couldn't go where they come from.

Rick

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2007, 04:09:18 AM »
my point !
if you like it it is OK !
if a rich man can afford to have a big buck released for him and it is legal are you just jealous since if you could hunt exotics you would ?

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2007, 07:47:44 AM »
my point !
if you like it it is OK !
if a rich man can afford to have a big buck released for him and it is legal are you just jealous since if you could hunt exotics you would ?

I wouldn't be jealous of the rich man. If I did hunt exotics in a pen it wouldn't be fair chase. I probably wouldn't but I might if it was given to me as a gift. I couldn't afford to pay any of it anyways. If someone wants to hunt a buck in a pen go ahead it isn't hurting me

Rick

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2007, 08:57:49 AM »
if its in a fenced area its not fair chase !
i shoot a pig in an enclosure , i hunt them in the wild ! same with bait ya shoot over bait not hunt !
that's how i keep it straight !
can enjoy it all !
I'm just an American and just a hunter !
not a European / American or sport / hunter !

Offline frogjake

« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2008, 06:02:54 PM »
I have shot deer from my tent in the George Washington Nat. Forest  They wandered into range of my camp I figure the less I have to work for my kills is just frosting on the cake.   I guess some of these people who "hunt" on these Game Preserves might not be that good of a hunter in the first place.  Maybe its better they are in a controlled situation instead of out in the woods killing one of us.  I consider myself lucky that my Dad took the time to show me how to hunt.  Maybe these folks didn't get that lucky.  I got a good buddy that is so tied to work that he can only get one weekend off a year for hunting.  He has to rely on what I tell him from my scouting each year.  I don't mind he is my friend and someday he won't have to work so dang hard.

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2008, 06:08:45 AM »
Why would someone that hunted on a game preserve shoot someone just because he was in say Geo Washington Nat'l Forest?  Is this another bit of irrational logic like: he shoots a magnum, ergo, he flinches?   ::)

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2008, 04:37:44 AM »
 i have seen wheel chair hunts on preserves ! often times war veteran's .
guess its one way they can enjoy a hunt after sacrificing for the rest of us to be free ! i have also seen people who have no other place to hunt go there . and as a reverse i have hunted GWNF and JNF to name a few and quite honestly worried about getting shot far more than on a preserve ! as anyone can go to walmart to pick up guns, ammo, and camping gear and hunt in the nat. forest with a stamp and a lic. ( in Va. you can sign that you had a lic , true or not ) !