Author Topic: Ultra Slug Hunter and TrackerII Slug Gun.  (Read 1546 times)

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
Ultra Slug Hunter and TrackerII Slug Gun.
« on: December 18, 2007, 05:04:39 PM »
Any one using them for deer. How accurate are they with the Sabot slugs.
The Tracker II only weighs 5-1/4 lbs and maybe a hand full with the 1oz slugs
at 1900 ft. While the Ultra Slug hunter goes 8-9 lbs. I think the Tracker would be OK with a heavy scope.

We have a season around the city alowing two doe tags with Bow and arrow.
Muzzle loaders and shot guns. Thought to give that a try.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline MI.sabot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Ultra Slug Hunter and TrackerII Slug Gun.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 05:34:19 PM »
I don't have a Tracker but I would tend to agree with you in the belief that the high speed sabots would rock you pretty good.

I do have a 12 ga USH and quite honestly have no need to shoot the high speed sabots.
It patterns the slower sabots like the Barnes Expanders and Copper Solids (1,450 fps) accurately and reliably and has all the knock down power I need.

The Tracker comes with open-sights but you'll need to get it D&T if you eventually want to scope it.
You pretty much have to scope the USH as open-sights are not available. A factory scope rail is supplied.

You really need to evaluate the type of hunting you do before purchasing one or the other.
The USH is not meant for walking around nor would I consider hauling it up in a tree.
But if your the ground blind sitting type, it would be hard to find a more accurate slug gun at any price.

H&R Ultra Slug Hunter (12 ga.)
NEF SS Sidekick Muzzleloader (50 cal.)
Remington 870 Express (12 ga.)
Stevens 311-H SxS (20 ga.)
CZ 452 American (22lr)

Offline ELMO

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 11:34:43 PM »
I have both guns in 12ga, the USH I shoot Hornady SSt's out of it and is real accurate for me out to a 100 to 125 yards. The Tracker II I shoot Rem. Buckhammers out of it and is sighted in at 50 yards. The USH is scoped and the TrackerII is open sights. The USH is what I shoot the most because the recoil is so much milder than the Tracker II. I don't mind the weight of the USH, because I'm usually on stand while hunting with it. If I'm hunting thickets or have a long walk through the woods I'll use the Tracker II..... :)

Offline mgeorge

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 02:35:17 AM »
I have a scoped USH that I shoot 3" copper solids through.  Before season this year I tried the 2-3/4" Rem. Core Lokd.  I didn't care for them at all.  There was noticeably more recoil (and the 3" CS are at the limit for what I like) and they seemed to be less accurate than the 3" CS.

I have shot many deer around 100yds with it and it's got plenty of energy for slaying whitetails at that range.  Last year I shot a doe which was facing me.  The slug went into her chest, blew up the shoulder, took out most of the ribs on that site, ripped through all her organs, and exited between her thighs.  All the way through her, eating bone and fighting through all the fluid in the belly.  I consider that a LOT of energy for my needs.  I also won't take one down like that again...  lost too much meat and it was ugly field dressing her...

My brother shot a buck at 180yds with a 3" CS and it went through him, too.  I'm tempted to go down to 2-3/4" CS to ease the energy and recoil, but I don't want to go through the expense of re-zeroing... :)

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 03:18:25 AM »
Any one using them for deer. How accurate are they with the Sabot slugs.
The Tracker II only weighs 5-1/4 lbs and maybe a hand full with the 1oz slugs
at 1900 ft. While the Ultra Slug hunter goes 8-9 lbs. I think the Tracker would be OK with a heavy scope.

We have a season around the city alowing two doe tags with Bow and arrow.
Muzzle loaders and shot guns. Thought to give that a try.

Hey Fred, I might be able to help you with this one. We now use 20 ga. Tracker II's that we had drilled and tapped and have low power variable scopes on. (with plenty of eye relief)I originally started out with a 12 ga. USH and found it to be cumbersome to carry and "un handi" in an elevated stand. Great accuracy with either choice is there and my one Tracker II is the most accurate slug gun I have ever used.

I would not use the 12 ga. in a Tracker II as the recoil is just too much. The 20 ga. with Winchester 3" Partition Gold @2000 fps with 280 gr. slug is an outstanding deer round and plants whitetails close to the point of impact. We have also used the Federal Barnes Expanders in 3" that are rated @ 1900fps. My son had two Bang Flops this years with the Winchesters. We regularly get one to one and a half inch groups.

The 20 ga. can be shot from the bench without holding onto the forend while the 12 ga. in my experiences cannot. My vote would be for the 20 ga. Tracker II. YMMV though.

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 03:27:31 AM »

Here is how ours are set up. My son has a 1-3x20mm Weaver and I use a 1.5-5x20mm Leupold on mine. These are nice and light to carry and come to shoulder and point well for us.

Offline 3s3k

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 03:39:53 AM »
 ??? ???

I will come at this from a little different view,I bought a 20ga USH youth model its lighter than the standard model and shorter works fine in tree stands and walking around.the shorter stock is ideal when wearing bulky clothing when hunting and recoil is not a problem. If need extra lop can always add a slipon recoil pad,bottom line it covers all the bases and is lethal to 125yds.gl

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 11:06:53 AM »
Fred,

I started off with a 12 ga. Tracker II and now have a USH 12 ga. 

The Tracker's recoil was very heavy.  Too heavy for me.  I sold it and eventually picked up the USH.  For me, shooting the USH recoil from the bench is about the same as 12 ga. field loads.  I have no recoil issues with it, at all.   I mounted an extended eye relief Bushnell Banner 3X9X40 on a Weaver base.  This set up works well for me. 

The only sabots I have fired are Winchester Super X.  It will put up to five shots within the 9-ring at 100 yards.  Due to the cost of Sabot's, once I found the Winchesters shot well, I stopped experimenting.  The Tracker gave indications it would shoot with Brenneke KO's Sabots.  However, I never shot it enough to be definite.

Offline deernhog

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 04:48:17 PM »
I just recieved my 12 ga USH w/ the 3-9 x 32 marlin scope included. The specs on this gun said 9 pounds but a quick trip to the scales said 11 pounds. Have yet to fire the beast but can't imagine the recoil to be any more than my H & R custom turkey gun with 19" screw in choke barrell. Is the metal bar in the stock a necessity as I figure it weighs 2 pounds. How accurate are Remington sluggers in these guns if you keep them clean. I was planning on shooting the Winchester BRI sabots, but I have approx 9 boxes of the 2 3/4" 1 oz. sluggrs from my police days that need shot. Heavy or not this gun will be shot from a tree stand or a ladder stand as this is my tried and true hunting technique.
Deer hunting is mostly fun then you shoot one and it turns to work.

Offline dadman

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 10:17:40 PM »
I bought a H&R 20 ga. USH for this year. Has a nice looking laminated stock. ut a B&L scope on it that I had sitting aound.
Got a doe with it. Range was about 30 yds. Was shooting from ground next to tee.
Doe went about 5 yds after being hit. Not much meat damage. Lungs were done though.
Was using the Hornady SST sabot slug. Didn't do much zeroing or grouping due to cost. Kept it a little high at a 100 yds. Seemed to group real good at 25 and 100 yds.
The weight of the USH didn't bother me. I did haul it by rope up to the tree stand one day.
Carrying it from sling or at ready wasn't a problem.
Using the supplied sling, it was better to sling the shotgun from the weak shoulder, muzzle down due to the barrel weight.

My son got a large doe the same day using the same Hornady SST slug, same lot #, in a Mossberg 20 ga. youth pump.
15 yd shot. Iron sights. Shooting from ground next to tree. Dropped in tracks. Broadside. Little meat damage. Small exit wound, same with mine.

I could see where a Tracker II would be better for a smaller shooter, or if you don't shoot at longer distances.

I did a side-by-side comparision of the 12 ga. and 20 ga. USH's. The 12 ga. seemed noticeably heavier.

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2007, 05:31:05 AM »

I could see where a Tracker II would be better for a smaller shooter, or if you don't shoot at longer distances.

dadman, I can't see where one has better accuracy over the other. I've had both at one time and now just the Tracker II and they both shoot well.

A recurring theme to these threads seems to be the weight of the USH versus the recoil of the Tracker II. Most all the threads in one way or another talk about how heavy the USH is. Some like it while others don't. The recoil of the 12 ga. Tracker II is another issue constantly brought to the forefront in these threads. Luckily for us there are 5 different versions of these slug guns manufacturered. Fred take your pick!

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2007, 11:11:38 AM »
First of all I like to thank everybody for their replies and wish all of you a
merry CHRISTmas.

I am a rifle shooter and have two custom Ultra Handi"s, and several Ruger #1's as far as shot guns go they are strictly for the birds or Skeet in either
SXS or O/U.

Now you got me I have never heard of an USH. What is an USH? Who makes these USH shotguns?

From what I have heared from you I think I will get a 20gauge. I am well versed in hand loading and perhaps I can make my own Sabot shelles from components to suit my requirement. Any inputs on hand-loads????? Also for two deer a year it is hardly worthwhile to hand load.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2007, 11:17:35 AM »
Geez Fred, I know lots of guys that handload for one deer a year, that's all they can take here!! :D

USH = Ultra Slug Hunter. ;)

Merry Christmas to you and the wife. :)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2007, 12:11:28 PM »
Thanks Tim.
This is a brand new game for me. Never thought to come down to shoot deer with a shotgun ;D.

One of my pheasant hunting friends wanted to know where he can get  an rifled barrel for his his 870 pump. We found one very fast made by Mossberg.
Bought it on Monday for $180 with a box of 5 went out on Tuesday morning. 20 min from his home he killed two Mulie does.

I ask him if he tried the barrel first he said he had no time, he just used the the barrel as is with the the factory open sights. Bang bang two deer at 40 yards game over. If I did not know the guy I say, BS.

I have an old Ithaca 37 and tried to find a rifled barrel for it, Hasting has one called a Paradox with a partly rifled bore. Ah in the US of course.

The 20 gauge Tracker II is a better deal at $200. I got a whole year to get
one put together.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline O44

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
  • TRADED HER FOR A HAWKIN GUN!!
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2007, 02:13:26 PM »
I also have a 20 ga tracker, it has a nikon 2x7 shotgun scope and shoots very good with the lightfield slugs.They a few bucks cheaper than the others but do a great job on deer.I also prefer to use a encore scope base,It gives you four screws rather than three and its a llittle more compact.I use a dowel and some sand paper to match the radius perfect. It's very close already so it only takes a minute.

Offline dodd3

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2007, 08:07:43 PM »
First of all I like to thank everybody for their replies and wish all of you a
merry Christmas.

I am a rifle shooter and have two custom Ultra Handi"s, and several Ruger #1's as far as shot guns go they are strictly for the birds or Skeet in either
SXS or O/U.

Now you got me I have never heard of an USH. What is an USH? Who makes these USH shotguns?

From what I have heared from you I think I will get a 20gauge. I am well versed in hand loading and perhaps I can make my own Sabot shelles from components to suit my requirement. Any inputs on hand-loads????? Also for two deer a year it is hardly worthwhile to hand load.
here ya go fred see pic.
bernie ;)
if its feral its in peril

Offline GrassLakeRon

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2007, 09:37:56 AM »
See Below

Offline GrassLakeRon

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2007, 09:39:08 AM »
I have a tracker 2 in 12 ga.  I use a limbsaver recoil pad and Hornady SST's and this seems to work well.  This fall was a large doe in the backyard.  I never felt the recoil when I pulled the trigger.  It is light enough to carry all day and hits hard.  I am scoping it this spring.   It was the best 150 bucks I've spent in a while.

Ron

Offline rangerwillie

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2007, 02:53:25 PM »
when I was little I hunted with a single shot 12 ga. Now I'm a grandpa and my boys bought me a single shot 12 ga. ( Life sure does go round ). Its a12 GA USH. I tried wheels and a 5 hp brigs motor but that didn't work. So I bought a safari sling from cabellas, item #XH-220723. $ 19.99.
 I also cast my own lyman sabot slugs. They give me predictable results. I feel comfortable with neck shots at 75 yards. I use a fixed weaver K3-W. If you hunt with a USH I would strongly recommend the safari sling