Author Topic: Whats the longest shot you have taken or have witnessed with the BC in .45/70?  (Read 1262 times)

Offline henry1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
Hey all, was just wondering what the longest shot you have taken or seen by others was with the 45/70 BC. I took mine out last friday and sighted er in for deer and had a few extra loads left over and figured i would see how far i could hit the poster bord. I drove to the next hill over and figured it was to far. so i split the distance. here are some pics. the first one is with the camera on full zoom and the last is without. The front site darn near covered the whole target. and the peep was cranked all the way. I hit two for five shots. not bad for just messin around. the two hits are closer to the bottom of the target left and right. I think i was pulling the other shots as the dirt looked like i was hitting to the right but they looked about the right height. Also I wasnt using a bench just the hood of the truck standing up resting my elbows on the hood. LOL! I could also pull the triger and hear the bullet hit the cardboard. LOL! That was neat!
dont pee down my back and tell me its raining
if my guns were my children theyd be incredibly spoiled
the mountian has got its own way, pillgram
ther's many a slip twix the cup and the lip
Life member NAHC
Henry
hunter8734@yahoo.com
Looking for pdo

Offline dodd3

• Trade Count: (1)
great shooting how far was it ,i have shot a 6-7/8"x3-5/8" 6 shot group ar 400 meters[437.44532 yards] of x sticks see pic.
bernie :)

if its feral its in peril

Offline towpro

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
I put a tang sight on mine.  First trip out with the tang sight I was hitting the Steel Pig at 300 meters about 1/2 the time. I was within inches at 400 meters to the turkeys, never tried the ram at 500 meters.  The problem was the tang sight hole was .030" and was not letting enough light through, I could not see the targets, I was shooting at where I knew they were.  I opened the sight up to .040" which seems good, but have not had a chance to get back to the range.

This is shooting 405 grain lead over the lowest load of H4895.  I also have an eye exam setup on 1/2/08 with a Dr. that knows target shooting, I need to see that Ram before I can hit it!  My problem is the targets are black against a brown (dirt) background.  What I need to do is get out there after it snows  ;D

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
towpro, I had the same problem with the rear sight hole. You might try opening it a little more..........050 works well for me and I'm considering .055.
 Depending on what the eye-Doc says, of course.
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline EsoxLucius

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
600 yards at paper with 488 grain Schmittzers at 1200 fps.  Five shots into 13 inches is my best group with a Globe front sight and a Springfield Trapdoor rear sight.
We learn something new everyday whether we want to or not.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
600yds steel plate, about 2 1/2' in dia, hit it about 3 out of 6 with a tang sight and 400gr speer bullet.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline henry1

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
WOW! Those are some long shots for sure! Has anybody ever shot a target at 1000yds? My great uncle in law used to be heavy into the match shooting back in the day, we went to that range when we belonged to it but often ended up watching matches rather than shooting cause the whole range was taken up. I would love to shoot steel at those ranges! I have made my own steel plates but im not to sure what the distance would be where i couldnt see em anymore. How big are the steel targets you all were shooting? Thanks for all the input! This did better than I thought!
Hank.

Oh, ps, Im not sure how far it was, I forgot my range finder at the house when i left. I was going to ask you guys but i dont know if the pics will help you out enough. I would say it was long about 500 or 600 yds. But im not a pro so dont quote me on that one! ;D
Life member NAHC
Henry
hunter8734@yahoo.com
Looking for pdo

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline towpro

• Avid Poster
towpro, I had the same problem with the rear sight hole. You might try opening it a little more..........050 works well for me and I'm considering .055.
 Depending on what the eye-Doc says, of course.

I got the numbered drill set from #61 up to #1 from harborfreight for $9.95.  I'm ready!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Twenty five yards. Hey it's only been taken out once. But it's sighted in well enough now and maybe some day I'll take it out again.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
Twenty five yards. Hey it's only been taken out once. But it's sighted in well enough now and maybe some day I'll take it out again.

Yeah, but you'll probably forget ya shot it last time and it'll be a new experience all over again!! :o ;D

btw, how much hold over did ya have to do for that shooting?? ;D

Tim

Offline henry1

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Hey thanks for the replys fellas! I appriciate it very much! And thanks for the link there quick that too was very interesting. I wish i would have had my range finder so I could know for sure how far away I ended up being. Thanks again!
Hank.
Life member NAHC
Henry
hunter8734@yahoo.com
Looking for pdo

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Out that fer Tim I jist aim at the top of the target stand and let them fall into the target.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
Back in the day during the Western Indian wars there was a skirmish between the Indians and the Army. The Indians fell back out of rifle range about 1/2 mile (880 yards). An Army sharpshooter setup his Trap Door 45-70 and shot an Indian Chief right off his horse. It made the Indians frustrated thinking no matter how far back they dropped they could be shoot. That was with the old black powder loads. I do not know if it was true but it made a good story to read about in the old West and adds to the history and lore of the 45-70.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
Semi true story. Is this the one you're talking about............Billy Dixon, .50 Sharps, 1538 yards:

http://www.oldwestlibrary.com/OWL/adobewalls.htm
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
Out that fer Tim I jist aim at the top of the target stand and let them fall into the target.

If you use the 300gr. cast and 12.5 grs. of Unique,you'll have time to run down and raise or lower the target before the bullet gets there. ;D ;D ;D ;D   Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline henry1

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Smokeinjoe, Thanks for posting that article! It was awesome! I love reading old storys like that!
Hank.
Life member NAHC
Henry
hunter8734@yahoo.com
Looking for pdo

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
Here's more on it Hank, and the 1879 Sandy Hook testing of the 45-70 at long range.

Tim

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_6_51/ai_n13781619

http://www.researchpress.co.uk/targets/ballistics/sandyhook.htm

Offline henry1

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Very interesting Tim! ;D Thanks so much for posting those! ;D I cant believe that those good of records have lasted that long! That is so cool!!!
Hank.
Life member NAHC
Henry
hunter8734@yahoo.com
Looking for pdo

Offline towpro

• Avid Poster

If you use the 300gr. cast and 12.5 grs. of Unique,you'll have time to run down and raise or lower the target before the bullet gets there. ;D ;D ;D ;D   Digger

that funny  ;D  But I was watching a guy with a Shiloh Sharps in 45-120 shooting holy black with a paper patch boolet at 500 meters.
He actually had time to turn his head from his rifle, look into his spoting scope and see the bullet hit the target  ;D
But when it hit, the bang it made it was easy to know it was a hit.

Also: Thanks Tim for pointing out the reading on Sandy Hook. I have heard about it, but its nice to read it!