Author Topic: Deer movement in fog?  (Read 898 times)

Offline Charlie Tango

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Deer movement in fog?
« on: December 19, 2007, 02:55:09 PM »
Here in northern Illinois it is freezing fog right now, what is your experience with the deer moving in foggy weather?

Offline Siskiyou

Re: Deer movement in fog?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 03:40:09 PM »
I have seen a lot of deer movement around ridges and saddles.  I would much rather hunt on a foggy day then a bright day.  You will see the deer out feeding more.

One late night on the highway  a herd of them confused by the headlights ran into the side of my car.  Deer snot all over the side of the car.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 12:43:34 AM »
I have seen deer in much closer quarters to me while in fog.  Perhaps that is in part due to not being able to see further into the fog and therefore the only deer seen were in close quarters than is usual.  I like stand hunting in fog when I know exactly where I am.  Otherwise orientation is all messed up and safety goes with orientation.

It becomes easier in fog to better understand how scent gets carried to game (in all weather conditions).  As the tiny water droplets that comprises the fog drift by us (you can see them) they pick up our scent from static items like hair, clothing, shoes, sweat, hat and watch bands, and dynamic items like breathing, blinking, skin chaffing, etc. and carry it all down wind.  Even when it isn't foggy, similar water droplets are still present in the air.

Offline backstrap

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 09:56:55 AM »
I would think that fog would hold air born scent down do to the little water droplet in the air ,and if u brushed up against something you would think the water droplets would was the scent  away but thats just how i think it is. might be wrong i have never hunted in the fog, but have seen several along the highway when comeing home after dark in the fog so they move in it thats for sure
1 shot 1 kill

Offline The Gamemaster

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2007, 03:58:46 AM »
If you were hunting with a bunch of guys and putting drives on, it wouldn't matter much if it was foggy or nice outside.

But when you are sitting, you don't have much of a chance unless they come in really close.

It isn't the part of if they are moving or not, it is the part of being able to see them.

But you can't shoot them sitting on the couch watching BUCKMASTERS.

So anyone asking - should I go hunting - makes me wonder if they are a real hunter or not.

Offline qmastersgt

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 07:32:49 AM »
The last thing I want is to drive or dog hunt in the fog. I love me too much for that. I love the fellows I hunt with too much to take that chance at shooting some one.

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 08:05:58 AM »
I have seen deer plenty of times on foggy mornings....I lost a good deer due to the fog....He stepped into my narrow food plot behind a small bush....The bush was in the way of my shot...i thought ill get him when he steps out.....About a minute later the fog was so thick i could not see the bush....I guess that is the way it happens sometimes