Author Topic: Are You READY For Big Game Season?  (Read 717 times)

Offline Lawdog

• Trade Count: (0)
Are You READY For Big Game Season?
« on: June 25, 2003, 02:19:11 PM »
The wife and I were out this morning sharpening our stalking skills by stalking to within air rifle range of ground squirrels.  For us we try to keep shots under 60 yards to insure clean kills.  Score this morning was 27 squirrels.  15 for the wife and an even dozen for me.  I have an excuse though.  The wife's rifle is a repeater while mine is a single shot.  This got me wondering what the rest of you do to brush up on your big game hunting skills.  Seasons are coming fast.  Lawdog
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline tominboise

• Contributor
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2003, 04:00:51 AM »
I try to keep the gray squirrels away from my apple tree, using my air rifle.  But I try to get within 6 yards  :wink:

I also go to the desert and practice off-hand with my rifles, shooting paper plates at various distances, as well as rocks, etc.

The gophers are about gone for the summer, but they are good practice in the spring, with a .22.

But, I need to spend a bit more time doing that all important "pre-season scouting"......
Regards,

Tom

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2003, 10:56:26 AM »
I am still trying to bond with my new rifle.  But after that comes time in the woods.  Checking trails, mast crops etc...There is no deer hunting. in Mich. ,  until Oct (bow only) and then rifle Nov 15th.
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Elwood

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2003, 11:43:03 AM »
In my state getting ready for big game hunting always begins with applying for tags in the drawings. Even deer requires a application and about every other year I am turned down entirely.
     So yes I am getting ready but we wont know if we are sucessfull untill the second half of next month. I put my soon to be 10 and 11 year olds in for the Kaibab plateau deer. Their dad is in for Mule Deer in the Chirachaua Mountains and Elk near Flagstaff. The anticipation is killing me!!
Elwood P. Dowd
Vae Victis

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2003, 12:00:56 PM »
:D I'm trying to get enough home repairs done so that I'm good to go for the next couple years. I even cleaned the old gear out of the garage.

Offline Dezertyote

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2003, 05:54:41 PM »
I'm ready now after reading the post by Bucky... Knee and back treatment :D
Blow a vintage Circe dinner bell and they will come...

Offline Dogshooter

• A Real Regular
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2003, 05:29:48 AM »
Usually, I start bringing out my 25-06 or 270 (or SOMTIMES) the BIG guns and go shoot prarie dogs. I try to get some shooting with all that I plan to hunt big game with by the middle of August so I have my confidence in them built up before hunting season starts.  I have a Sig 202 so I try to shoot with all of the barrels in field conditions to make sure they all shoot pretty close after swapping the barrels. So far, I have only noticed a very slight (+/- .5") change in POI after swapping barrels.
Perception is everything. For instance, a crowded elevator smells different to a midget.