Author Topic: 2 x 7 Nikon Prostaff Parallax  (Read 897 times)

Offline pmang

• Trade Count: (0)
2 x 7 Nikon Prostaff Parallax
« on: December 23, 2007, 07:58:48 AM »
I have a Nikon Prostaff 2 x7 with a parallax setting of 75 yards from the factory. It is supposed to be a shotgun scope. How would parallax play a role in putting that scope on a .270 or .243? Will I have sight in problems? I guess I really dont understand parallax and how it plays a role. If anyone could explain it, I surely would appreciate it!!

Thanks in advance. Happy Holidays.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: 2 x 7 Nikon Prostaff Parallax
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 11:22:36 AM »
Prolly won't be that big a deal for a hunting gun to use on big game. Parallax is the apparent movement between crosshair and target when you move your head side to side or up and down with gun in a fixed position.

It can only be zero at one distance and for most centerfire rifle scopes that distance is set to be 100 or 150 yards. At longer ranges you'll note a bit of movement of crosshairs in relation to the target with it but then you would notice some even with a scope set to 150 yards.

I have a Leupold shotgun scope set up just like it on one of my rifles and it works just fine. Not a biggie.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline pmang

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 05:12:51 PM »
Do you think it would help if I sent it in to Nikon to have the parallax changed to 100 yards? Do you think they would do it?

Thanks

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 05:17:37 PM »
Don't know if Nikon offers that service or not. I honestly don't think it would be worth the cost to have it done but it's your scope and your money so if it makes you happy go for it. If I had it changed I'd likely change it to 150 tho not 100 as that's just not enough difference to pay the cost.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 05:19:56 PM »
Parallax shouldn't be a problem at the magnification your scope works at.  It's a bigger problem at higher powers and longer ranges.

If it makes you feel better then send the scope back and see if Nikon will change it for you.......
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater