Author Topic: 45-120 BC Pic's and First shots...THANK YOU TIM!!!!!!!!  (Read 887 times)

Offline fanner50

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Contributor
45-120 BC Pic's and First shots...THANK YOU TIM!!!!!!!!
« on: December 23, 2007, 11:51:12 AM »
Thanks to Tim's encouragement I went all the way out to 45-120 on my BC. I did it with a hand brace I got at Ace Hardware for $22. I went slow used a lot of oil and cleaned out chips often. I rented my reamers from 4D and talked with them on the phone. They were great help and great to deal with. I also throated the 45-120 and my 45-70 at the same time. Fred at 4D gave me guidance on making an extension for the throat reamer as it is long enough for the 45-70 but fell into the 45-120 chamber so had to make an extension by turning down a drill extension on my belt sander. Necessity is the mother of invention. Nothing out of the ordinary about this BC added a Smith Int rear sight and a .404 Lyman front. I fit a 16 oz. mercury recoil suppressor in the butt stock and have my saddle shop making a shell holder for the stock. I loaded up two test rounds to make sure all was OK. One was with 50 gr. of H322 and the other was a case loaded to get about 1/16" compression with Jim Schokey's Gold FFG. I got to tell ya the BP sub is a kick in the pants. I have cast my own Lee 459-500-3R and tumble lubed with LLA. and will try to get to the range tomorrow for a little R&R(recoil and rumble). Recoil is nothing compared to some of the magnums I've shot and the BC just naturaly fits and balances well. Here's a couple of pic's for your enjoyment. Hope you all have a very Merry Christmas. - Fanner50 aka Gary

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i97/montanajustice/45-120BC.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i97/montanajustice/45-120vs45-70.jpg

Hey !Tim you're right BIGGER IS BETTER ;) ;D ;D ;D

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: 45-120 BC Pic's and First shots...THANK YOU TIM!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 12:04:48 PM »
Sounds like you did a great job Gary ,you're really in for some real fun, the 45-120 is a 45-70 on steroids fun!! ;D

Merry Christmas!!

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline fanner50

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 12:12:08 PM »
Amen! brother Tim. My COL with this boolit is 3.98.  :o

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 02:43:43 PM »
So, should we start callin' you Roy;D

Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline fanner50

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 03:20:46 PM »
smokinjoe5150-You were a big influence here also and I appreciate all your help. You should build a 120 just for grins. Believe it or not Roy was my dads name. You can call me anything you want if I can ride a good horse around Australia with a pretty girl with big "eyes" and shoot bad guys. Merry Christmas to ya my friend. I'll try to get a range report for ya tomorrow. Fanner50 aka Gary

Offline JerryKo

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (64)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 03:28:52 PM »
Good going there Gary.  Sounds like all went well.  I hope to do the same for my BC one day, at least the 120 part.  My Dad left me a nice 45-100 Sharps and some reloads.  The only problem is me being left handed.  I didn't want to restock it, never even looked into it actually, but decided to pick up the BC for now.  After hearing about Tim's 45-120 it got me dreaming of the big one too.  Best of luck at the range.  I'm looking forward to the report. ;)

JerryKo
"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up."- Vince Lombardi

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2007, 04:25:09 PM »
After I finish my 50, I might just do that, Gary.

Here's some reloadin' music for you:

http://home.bak.rr.com/jslayer/Q.wav
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline blackpowderbill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2007, 09:23:10 AM »
Fanner; can you give me some intel on the rear sight? Cost, who has em and what type of apertures and adjustments. Thanks
People are like slinkies, they serve no purpose yet they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2007, 10:07:05 AM »
Long range sight info including the Smith ladder, for the BC/Target can be found in the FAQs.

Merry Christmas, ;)

Tim

Offline fanner50

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2007, 01:01:27 PM »
I got the Smith Int sight from Brownells for around $125. It has a peep slide. I installed a .404 Lyman in the front with cross hair insert.  ;)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2007, 01:06:51 PM »
That must be the dealer/FFL price Gary, us common folk have to pay a bit more!! It appears they've started offering them with the peep slider again, that's a relief, the notch slider they were coming with wasn't good for my old eyes. :-X Our/my complaints must have been heard by Smith, I gave BA an earful when I got mine with the notch slider, they changed the pic on their website real quick!! ::)

Merry Christmas!!

Tim

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=18735&title=WESSON+%26+HARRINGTON+LONG+RANGE+SIGHT

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,4191.htm