Author Topic: Had Unwelcome Visitors  (Read 996 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Had Unwelcome Visitors
« on: December 25, 2007, 07:33:20 AM »
  The wolves were here.

The Beagles had been quite all day yesterday, no barking.  When we took them out they peed on the corner of the porch and would not leave the area of the back door.  Took Bert out with me to get the paper yesterday morning, he would not get out from under my feet, all the way to the street and back.  Went into Fairbanks around noon with the wife to finish our shopping.  When I got home both dogs refused to go outside when I opened the back door.  In fact they hid under the truck in the garage.  I went out and found where the porch, the well head, my snow machine, and the fill pipe for the oil tank had been used as a scent post.  Wolf tracks went around the house, they peed on the front steps, then they went up on the deck, and peed on the corner of the sliding patio door.  Places where the dogs went in and out.

Neighbor came up last evening said his dog also refused to go outside.  He said he saw something out on the pipeline behind our houses, he thought it was wolves but he could not be sure.  I went out and scouted the area.  Found where they had bedded down out in the back.  When they left they were headed toward Hurst.

Went for a walk last night up the pipeline.  Met a man out doing the same thing.  He related this story to me.

Friday morning he got a call from his neighbor at 4AM.  "Wolves are circling your dog".  He looks out the window and four wolves are circling his dog's house.  He puts on his pants and grabs a rifle.  Runs outside and there are the wolves.  One on top of the dog house, one on each side of the door, and one in front.  At first he could not understand why the one in front was shaking, and going back and forth so violently.  Then he realized the wolf was pulling the chain that was attached to the dog.  The dog and the wolf was having a tug of war, the dog to stay inside the house, the wolf to bring it outside so his partners could grab it.  The guy fired a shot, the wolf holding the chain dropped it and ran.  The others followed him and disappeared.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Dusty Miller

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Had Unwelcome Visitors
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2007, 08:05:03 AM »
SSS
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline powderman

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2007, 08:41:16 AM »
Are you saying that you don't have the right to protect your own dogs??? POWDERMAN.  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline blackpowderbill

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2007, 09:12:51 AM »
Reintroducing wolves was a big mistake. We spent 150 years getting rid of the rotten animals and now their back. The law be dambed, a wolf attacking my dog is attacking my family. That would be one dead wolf.
People are like slinkies, they serve no purpose yet they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2007, 01:05:09 PM »
I have kept Jack Russells for years here in pairs. They do a great job keeping the place rid of the many copperhead snakes in the area, and a pair can handle the EVOLVING hunting style of the coyote. One of my Jack's had to be put down last month, and I worry about Huff. He is fearless, and no match for a pair, and they hunt down here in pairs, and many times 4 to 5.
I live on the edge of town, and if they jump my fence, they are still dead. I WILL protect my family, i.e. dog.
I too believe that modern man does not understand the ways of nature, but merely THINK they do, and there was a reason the wolf was hunted down.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline sdb777

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2007, 02:44:11 PM »
SSS

Like your thinking on the matter!  Anyone need to borrow a shovel?

Scott (my dog=my best friend) B
Custom Cartridge pens available.....

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2007, 04:17:12 PM »
I wish you could have killed a couple of them.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline Dee

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2007, 04:27:11 PM »
You know? I'm starting to think that SSS may be the cure for a lot of this political correctness. :-\

Offline Tn Jim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2007, 06:13:21 PM »
SSS
big time +1
Not all Muslims are terrorist, but oddly enough, all terrorist are Muslims.

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2007, 07:22:43 PM »
...and there was a reason the wolf was hunted down.

Oh ya....RANCHERS! :o

Jim
He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2007, 09:49:47 PM »
No need for the three Ss.  We can and will hunt them.  I was out tonight and looked around.  Fresh snow today, but tonight no tracks to be found.  They either have not moved today or have moved out of this area.  They have a very big area they call home.  I have some things to do tomorrow, but I intend to go out and spend several days looking for them.  This pack originally had six members.  Heard that someone (A Trapper) over in Two Rivers had taken two.  There is only four now.  Did see Coyote and Fox tracks tonight, but since it is snowing I think it will be more productive tomorrow evening.  We will see what happens.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2007, 12:59:31 AM »
Dee:  one of my neighbors raises Jack Russell's and those guys never fail to set up an incredible howl when something, or someone walks by.  They don't care if it is coyote, bear, whitetail, possible wolf (sightings in this area) or me (even though I know every single one of them.  In other nearby areas Jack Russell's do not leave coyotes alone - but wolves are a different story.

There was a pair of Canadian Grey Wolves taken near Glens Falls last year I believe and others have been spotted as far south as the Adirondack Park (not far from where I am).  I am not foolish enough to want to accept them back into the area.  I need to check the state's hunting regulations but if they are not identified as a protected species they are fair game. 

And even if they are protected, I am more protected.  Heck, I don't tolerate coytoes.  I'm not going to tolerate wolves. 

Sourdough:  Good Huntin'.    Mikey.

Offline Dee

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2007, 02:36:24 AM »
Mikey you are right about the Jack Russells. Mine aren't mouthy and don't EVER bark, unless something unusual is going on. If he barks, you had better go look. Ole Huff will try on anything, and that makes us nervous, as we have lots of coyotes, but at his age he will not tolerate another dog in the fence, so he is basically on his own now, since we lost the other one.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2007, 08:34:01 AM »
Ya know, my Beagles will chase a Moose or a Black Bear at the drop of a hat.  They don't allow Moose or Black Bears inside their territory (My six acres).  But when the Wolves come around, they get real quite.  All the dogs in the neighbor hood are the same way.  Most nights you can go out and hear dogs barking somewhere in the neighborhood, usually from all directions.  There is a lot of dog mushers in the area and all have noisy dog lots.   But when the wolf pack is in the area, there is silence when you go outside.
What Is A Veteran?

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2007, 08:51:16 AM »
where i live its black bears , haven't been here for 100 years . they are moving back enough that the season was open the last 2 years . then over the last couple years the coyote has arrived ! ticks me off can't find stray cats or other targets anymore ! not to mention the pets that never come home !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Chilachuck

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2007, 05:32:28 AM »
Wolf and coyote pee are real handy for practical jokes. Squirt some coyote pee on some one's shoe, and watch him start dodging the dogs trying to pee on his leg. Wolf should get a much more interesting reaction.

I haven't figured out how to get some of either on a door to door sales man's leg, yet.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2007, 08:58:33 AM »
i dont understand why it is people are so slow on the trigger.  perhaps they arent, and just leave that part of the story out to avoid the headache. 

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2007, 09:25:51 AM »
It's not that people are slow on the trigger, it's just that it happens so fast.  And these animals are educated, at the first sign of humans, the pack in North Pole leave, quick.  Two have been killed, I followed them for about six miles total last week, down the Chena river, and then out into the flood plain in the flood control area.  I finally saw them and they had left the trail they had been following all that time, and were running into a timbered area with heavy brush.  A place a snow machine could not follow.  Being an old man with a bad heart I could not follow either.  Snow was too deep and brush too heavy, and they were running too fast for me.  The wind had changed since I had left the river, moving from me to them.

Plus we've only got about three hours of sunlight to hunt them in now. 
What Is A Veteran?