Author Topic: New kid on the block  (Read 1989 times)

Offline Eyes Of Death

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Dehogger
New kid on the block
« on: December 25, 2007, 07:23:13 PM »
Well hear she is my Christmas present to my self. Weighing in at 1581/2 # on the money. I thought it would weigh more but the scales don’t lye. GB bore with reduced powder chamber.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
Re: New kid on the block
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2007, 07:55:59 PM »
Congratulations ! ! ! !  That is one very nice looking Christmas present. It has nice looking lines. What kind of finish will be on it?
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 01:44:13 PM »
Congratulations ! ! ! !  That is one very nice looking Christmas present.   

Yes ., I will be going with that !.
What nice looking piece of artillery. at 158 1/2 without a carriage., that all  the more weight I would care to move., It looks like a real boomer. Please keep us up to date on firing pics ., loads., ect., and by the way ., whats the length?  more pics., more pics., and Merry Christmas.

Offline lance

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 04:01:24 PM »
 Yes Sir, that's a mighty fine looking Christmas present............ I'm with Tropico, more pics,more pics!!!
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 11:58:19 AM »
The powder can, the powder can, where's the powder can?

I read it as "1581/2 pounds and wondered how ya got it on the scale.  Then I read the next post, 158   1/2 lbs.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 12:05:49 PM »
Hey EYESOFDEATH,

I see your expanding out from beltfeds ;D Small world!

KABAR2
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Eyes Of Death

• Dehogger
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 02:44:17 PM »
I was thinking of doing the brownels backing lacquer in gun metal blue. But backing this best at 300 degrees for one hour dos pose a problem. Was considering using the propane fired inferred heaters. And just putting them in circle and standing it in the middle. Will seriously consider this method. She is just over 36” long with a 31” GB size bore and 2” long by 1.5” wide powder chamber.  Yes that should be 158 and 1\2 pound. KABAR2 you found me and my other time consumer. Ammo is a bit cheaper but pulling off 250 round bursts in 1min is out of the question. As far as a carriage was looking in to going the field carriage rout out of Seder then I found this.
Can't find a date or the make.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 04:46:07 PM »
Rustoleum black barbecue paint will work a lot better and will  look just the same as the  Brownells baking lacquer.

Here's two examples

The paint job on the Cairo Gun above was applied in May 1984.   The Gun is scheduled for a refurb during the winter 2008-2009.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 12:30:09 AM »
That looks like it may be a British design, I have seen two Nepalis copies with a similar elevation system.
the nice thing with a metal  carriage is you won't ever have to worry about wood rotting. :) I have a lead on a chunk of 75mm cannon barrel and will probably build a metal carriage for it, I already have the steel plate to cut it from, and a set of wheels.

Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2007, 02:17:41 AM »
KABAR2  -

You've baited the hook!

Can't wait to see the pictures of fire and smoke ....

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2007, 03:11:47 PM »
;D Well I still have to get a few ducks in a row, I have access to a good machine shop with a large jet lathe, milling machine etc. have access to welders, I need to get a good plasma cutter for the plate, the wheels were
got in a trade, I expect this will be a project for the rest of the coming year,
right now I am completing a 1919 build in Jan. after that I'll have some time here and there to work on it, I'll post progress photos when it begins.

Sorry Eyesofdeath I didn't mean to take over your thread, I look forward to seeing your progress with the carriage,that should be a nice shooter when finished! 

Offline Eyes Of Death

• Dehogger
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2007, 03:02:34 PM »
Well apparently when you take a picture and the camera said memory full. It meant that it was full with the picture before the one you just took. Sorry but the last shot I took had a powder can in it. And it didn't get saved. This is a make shift carriage that my wood working buddy threw to gather in about one hour. No fooling! It will do fore the New Year’s Day.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2007, 02:31:46 AM »
More pix, More pix, More pix!

Looks like you'll clear the 100yard line with ease at that elevation!

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Double D

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2007, 02:35:07 AM »
Doesn't appear you will have any perponderance issues.

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2007, 04:49:59 AM »
A good elevation for making noise.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline phalanx

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2008, 01:47:18 PM »
Hay eyes ,great to see you here . three or four other guys from TOS hanging around also. great tube man ,i am about to order a Field Howitzer to slip onto my Ordnance Rifle Carriage. Have you figured out a Carriage or mount yet ?
In this time i Command ,That you take the Secular to Jerusalem .
There you rid the Holy City of the Scourge of Islam , Make the streets run red with the Blood of those who wish to wash Israel and Christianity from the face of the Earth.
Constantine III

Offline Double D

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2008, 05:05:07 PM »
What's TOS?

Offline phalanx

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2008, 08:15:22 PM »
Double D :
It means ,the other site. Trust me ,Kabar is the finest teacher on this subject you could ever get.
He is by the book ,and he knows the book. He wrote the book ,and we are lucky to have him.
I have the tubes,i shoot the tubes,He asks me things ,i will not tell on your site,or any other.
Pirate knows ,Naval ,like me he knows things.
Lets just talk cannon,OK.
Lets not do or say dunb stuff. as you say ,lets not give someone the clue to act stupid ,no one coming here is stupid.
These are dangerous ,stupid stuff will kill you.
OH ,don't freak. the things i say we know are short cuts.
But i will not talk of them ,or endorse them,we go by the book here.
You would do well to have kabar,He is a very good man,and will become the angel of your better nature.
Me ,i have studied all attached to this subject,from the trenches of Vicksburg,to the fields of Kansas in the Indian wars,to the trenches of WW1,where the ordinance rifle was used with veterans of the war at Vicksburg ,to break the trench warfare,not the airplane,it was the air burst shells,learned by our own Civil war.
Europe was way behind on this sort of thing,I guess we were real good at killing each other.
Anyway,thank you for listening,Do not relate Kabar by anything you may think of me, it is me,not him, he only asks me questions.
There you rid the Holy City of the Scourge of Islam , Make the streets run red with the Blood of those who wish to wash Israel and Christianity from the face of the Earth.
Constantine III

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2008, 10:03:04 PM »

I am thee only Pirate in these waters mate.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2008, 02:58:00 AM »
TOS is one of the belt fed forums, we, at a similar forum refer to them by "The Other Site"

Tropico, Ye may be or may not be thee only Pirate 'er there be another by thee name "Pirate" on the TOS he may be 'er by another name known only by Phalanx I say..... Arrrr! 
:)

Offline phalanx

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2008, 05:33:50 AM »
It ain't me ! The first time i saw him in the powder keg he was talking Naval Guns with Kali.
I like Naval ordnance ,but in the desert i don't think they would be a real good idea.
Constantine III

Offline phalanx

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2008, 05:51:26 AM »
Kabar ,I think i am going to give that Dom Carpenter a shot. That French 75 is way cool ,and I always wanted something that looked like it was from WW1. He is a sponsor on this board ,and after talking to him he said he could make one in any scale i wanted. I think i am going to stay with the  1/2 scale , but Dom says it is more like a 2/3rds. It would be nice to have something one or two men could push around. I'm selling the Ford one ton to get it ,so it doesn't bite me to hard. Do any of you guys have any experience with one of these guns ?
Constantine III

Offline lance

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2008, 08:37:59 AM »

I am thee only Pirate in these waters mate.
Tropico, I don't think ya have nothing to worry about. Besides, i'm still planing to visit that cool resort you're building overseas. It will be great, one winter, to stay on Your private beach, man the guns on Your ship, oh yeah, i might even take them scuba lessons.

Offline phalanx

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2008, 01:50:07 PM »
Lance ,is most of this forum about Naval guns? I haven't seen a lot here about field Artillery.
Constantine III

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2008, 02:22:00 PM »
I haven't seen a lot here about field Artillery.

It is cyclic.  Look around more, there is lots of stuff here.  Also, naval carriages are easier to build so you will find a number of FA tubes on naval carriages.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2008, 02:24:44 PM »
Lance ,is most of this forum about Naval guns? I haven't seen a lot here about field Artillery.

The topics drift from one to another.  We've covered quite a few in the last 5 years.

Sometimes it has been manufacturing, other times focused on bowling-ball to golf-ball calibers, and from time to time mortars and thunder-mugs and hand gonnes.

It usually is driven by one or more people asking detailed questions of construction, history or loading/competition.

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline phalanx

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2008, 02:44:29 PM »
Thanks Cat ,i just was beginning to wonder,even two pages back ,it was  coastal and Naval guns.
I was like,,OK,,, what about Army Artie ? a few of them were around also.
And you guys are right ,in the 1870s a lot of Carriages had Naval guns on them.
Constantine III

Offline Double D

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2008, 05:37:37 PM »
Post what you like.  We are open to any pre 1899 artillery, as well as signal guns and punt guns.   The French 75 is about the youngest gun that fits with in the scope of this board.  Keep going through the old posts you will find old field guns posts.

Seacoast guns are popular discussion right now, because that's what one of our sponsors play with.  We have had long discussions about fircracker cannons, golf ball mortars, and nano cannons. 

We don't have alot of big field gun folks.  We do have a movie star and periodically discuss Artillery Games.  I know Artilleyman should have been nominated for  Best Supporting Actor for his role in that.

So I f you can't find a discussion on the topic you like start one.  I my self  would like see you open a post telling us more about your guns. 

Show us how you use them, what loads you are using, where do you shoot them.   And if you fail to put up pictures with smoke and fire we'll let you know about that. 

As I said before we have a lot of little guns and folks making there own guns.  But folks like you come along and start talking about big guns, and they will graduate up. so jump in!

Offline lance

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2008, 06:02:49 PM »

phalanx, sorry for the delay in an answer back, but i was out in the shop and GG and CW did a right fine job of it. If most folks are like me, they like them all, big ,small, you name it. DD is right, jump in with your big stuff, folks will like them. I'm in Virginia, so you can imagine some of the stuff here, but i like looking at everything everywhere! I don't have a 75 yet, but have done business with Dom Carpenter and can tell you he is a standup guy and very friendly and honest!

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2008, 06:37:28 PM »
Besides, i'm still planing to visit that cool resort you're building overseas. It will be great, one winter, to stay on Your private beach, man the guns on Your ship, oh yeah, i might even take them scuba lessons.
Lance., I am leaving January 8th for that L O N G  flight to Cebu to do a little work there., Its coming along. We are excited .,  but its still a little ways out. I'tll be cool Lance., we'll get to Scuba in warm clear waters.,then go blow up some stuff *Grinning*