Author Topic: Rabbit hunt with Froghunter  (Read 621 times)

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Rabbit hunt with Froghunter
« on: December 26, 2007, 06:50:40 AM »
Finally got to meet and hunt with someone from the forum. I met Froghunter and Mrs. Froghunter and even a Junior Froghunter for a nice rabbit hunt with their beagles. It was a real H&R hunt, I had my Nickle barreled 12ga shorty, Froghunter had his 20ga shorty with the TDC stocks and Mrs Froghunter was shooting a 20gaTDC. He even brought a buddy along that has not yet converted to the single shot  way yet. Rabbits were scarce but there were enough to make the beagles sing a little. Not the most productive hunt as far as game but it was great to meet the Froghunter Family and spend some time hunting with some members of the GBO family. Thanks for an enjoyable hunt. Looking forward to doing it again.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline plumberroy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Re: Rabbit hunt with Froghunter
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 08:29:41 AM »
If you got to here the beagles sing it was a good hunt! my friends get upset with me because I get busy watching/listening to my beagles and don't even shoot at the rabbits, ;D one weekend I saw 19 rabbets and shot twice ;D ;D ;D
Roy
Every breath I take as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier

Offline Clodhopper

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 11:14:10 AM »
I take my two girls (Mollie and Belle) out and sometimes I don't even take a gun.  I do love to listen to the full cry of two beagle hounds on the track. 

Offline plumberroy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 12:26:38 PM »
there has been several attacks by coyotes on beagles, one of the big name field trial champion beagles was attacked this year.  I may not shoot at  the rabbits  and my dogs are not world class but there my buddies .  I all ways  carry a gun just in case. any yote messin' with my dogs are going to get some lead in the a$$
Roy
Every breath I take as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 02:30:00 PM »
It was a real H&R hunt, I had my Nickle barreled 12ga shorty, Froghunter had his 20ga shorty with the TDC stocks and Mrs Froghunter was shooting a 20gaTDC.

I don't want to sound ignorant but is a "shorty" one with a 22 inch barrel or one that is cut even shorter?

Offline Markus

• Moderators
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 03:12:00 PM »
Mine has a 22"12ga mod choke barrel and Froghunter's is a 22" 20ga with screw in choke. I do have a barrel chopped to 18 1/2" but it is still a work in progress.

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 05:55:22 PM »
Markus, W I P, is that gonna be a slugger or get choke tubes or.....you may have talked about it already and I either missed it or have just forgotten. ;D

cookie
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Markus

• Moderators
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 04:52:11 PM »
My plan was for it to be a slugger, but I just won a tracker1 on gunbroker so who knows what I'll do with it now.

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 02:36:14 AM »
Hey, congrats on the Tracker I.  I just picked up a 12ga Tracker I off of the classifieds here.  It looks like new.  I had thought of getting it tubed, but I think I may just leave it stock and save the money for something else that may come to mind. ;D
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 02:40:55 AM »
I had thought of getting it tubed, but I think I may just leave it stock and save the money for something else that may come to mind. ;D

What would the costs be on cutting threads for a choke tube? 

Offline Froghunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
  • Contributor
  • .38 Special and .357 S&W Magnum Stuff
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 04:02:57 AM »
Fellows,

I had the opportunity to enjoy two rabbit hunts with one of our moderators, Markus! I PM Markus acouple of months ago and talked about the likely hood of a rabbit hunt in the First State. We meet at a little store next to the public hunting area we hunted. I learned acouple of things about the girls. It takes them awhile to get use too the new scents of the rabbits in the area. They did run one rabbit pretty good the first hunt. The next hunt was not as productive, we did find one rabbit and it make a long run up a hedgerow with no shots. I think if I hunt the rabbits in the public areas early in the season or in the far reaches of the area, I'll harvest some rabbits. Markus invited me and the family to dinner, which was very good. I got to see his collection of H&R and NEF. Very Nice! He also let me shoot his 12 ga. Shorty, the one in his avatar. It didn't recoil that bad, no plans for a 12 ga., for I'm a 20 ga. guy. We did discuss the 10 ga. for waterfowl hunting, but time will tell. We talked alot about hunting and my move to Delaware in the summer. Very nice People.

jpshaw, I feel a shorty would be one that is 24" long, 22" or one that is cut. Please remember the G-man said we can not cut them under 18" and there is a law about the total length of the firearm too.   

plumberroy, I will take your concerns about the coyotes seriously and had a couple of 20 ga. 3" Mag's number 2 lead with me, just encase.

Froghunter

PS: The other guy we hunted with did ask about our single shots and maybe he will get one!
"Think Positive and Positive Things Will Happen"

"There's Only One Bore Size and That is .357....That's MHO"

Froghunter