Author Topic: Marlin/NEF H & R sold??  (Read 6940 times)

Offline 6Shooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Marlin/NEF H & R sold??
« Reply #60 on: December 27, 2007, 03:59:31 PM »
I'm thinking the good ol' Handi-rifle may soon be a thing of the past.
 If they do move production overseas, they're as good as dead as far as I'm concerned.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2007, 04:09:18 PM »
NEF is more profitable than Marlin.  They aren't going anywhere.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline bearbeater

« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2007, 04:54:04 PM »

hey
I am sure that nef h+r will still be nef. I have read all of these posts and after all of these inputs I believe that most are right on the money. Rem will do improvements and keep basic design but raise prices. How much, we will see they may just want to get rid of the 870 clone and keep nef intact. I pray that quality stays the same with the present employees. Moral is very important. If rem is smart they will read GB ( this ) web site and pay attention.
Bearbeater
Thats the ups and downs of Aviation

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2007, 09:26:27 PM »
I think folks should wait & see what is in store for the Handi rifles...You can play what if all you want and it won't do any good...but I know 2 things for a fact...Remington has 1 very good custom shop...now don't they and they don't have much problem with over sized chambers & bores...now do they ;) ;) :D

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline linwin3000

« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2007, 11:22:11 PM »

The first thing an investment company does after buying a smaller company is to cut employee benefits and freeze wages. This puts the employees of a gobbled up company into a terrible position, they are expected to put out more quality product for less! I have been a part of such things before and it is not pretty to be a part of. Usually after 3-5 years the company is resold to another investment company and the cycle repeats itself, again the floor employees are expected to make up for the hefty loan that was taken out to do the buying! As said above it is all about the bottom line and the greedy investers getting their blood money back as soon as possible!
                               Richard
Richard Lee

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #65 on: December 27, 2007, 11:52:34 PM »
I don't remember what I paid for my 1st H&R, but its was around $100, and that was 25 years ago or so.  The prices of most things have doubled and more in the last 25 years.  If the prices of a Handi or Pardner goes up a little, I'm not gonna complain.  It's still one of the best values around.

I guess, honestly, I don't care if the name changes.  There are lots of benefits, to Remington, for aquiring Marlin and its holdings.  Not the least of which is aquiring one of the best designed lever action riflles on the market.  They have been makin' guns a long time and they have the pulse of the American shooter.  The fact that H&R/NEF has been around all these years and has done it on the merits of a "top break single shot" firearm shows there is a market for this type of firearm.  I think the Pardner Pump and the Excel will be gone, but the economil Handiis and Pardners can stand on their own merits and they will survive this.  Maybe the Spartans will be the ones to be cut...from what I have seen, they haven't done that well.  Who knows, maybe we'll see a top break over-under shotgun rifle that you can actually afford to buy come out of this.  I could go for that! ;D

Hey "It could happen"

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #66 on: December 28, 2007, 06:28:24 AM »
It's true that Remington has been making guns a long, but I sure can't see where "they have the pulse of the American shooter". If they did they would not be in financial trouble.  All the new cartridges they've introduced in recent years have been a total bust because no one ever needed them, same could be said for the defunct Winchester brand. In this day and age of easy communication it is astonishing to me that all companies don't have web sites expressly for customer feedback and suggestions, but do they? No, because upper level management don't want to hear it. The marketing department runs the show and the guy in charge has a background in sales of shoes or cars or whatever. They think the answer to poor sales is just to find the right marketing gimmick, we don't need to address the wishes of the public, we don't need product improvement, we surely don't need  skilled labor, just find the right marketing strategy and I can sell anything.
  I've seen some very frivolous decisions made by all the major manufacturers in recent years. How much did it cost S&W to design and tool up to produce a 1911 style handgun?  And who needs it? Sure it is arguably the most popular design in the U.S. but everybody and their cousins are already producing it. Did the American shooters actually demand the S&W name on their 1911? So now they're producing ARs, as if we didn't already have plenty of choices in that style. And their much ballyhooed M&P pistol, just another Glock wannabe, albeit with a bit nicer styling, but who needs it?  When going to the expense of producing a new firearm it would seem to me they should produce something NEW, not jump onto the bandwagon where the market is already flooded. But that is the U.S. corporate strategy, see what is selling and jump in there to "fight for a share of that market". Why not look for a market that isn't already flooded and have it all to yourself while at the same time giving the American shooter something they don't already have?  Nobody seems interested in building a better mousetrap, they just want to sell the same mousetrap in greater numbers.
Sorry for the rant, but it just really POs me to see American industry all going down the tubes and it is entirely due to the corporate heads who get millions of bucks for running the company into the sewer!
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2007, 07:12:24 AM »
It's true that Remington has been making guns a long, but I sure can't see where "they have the pulse of the American shooter". If they did they would not be in financial trouble.  All the new cartridges they've introduced in recent years have been a total bust because no one ever needed them, same could be said for the defunct Winchester brand. In this day and age of easy communication it is astonishing to me that all companies don't have web sites expressly for customer feedback and suggestions, but do they? No, because upper level management don't want to hear it. The marketing department runs the show and the guy in charge has a background in sales of shoes or cars or whatever. They think the answer to poor sales is just to find the right marketing gimmick, we don't need to address the wishes of the public, we don't need product improvement, we surely don't need  skilled labor, just find the right marketing strategy and I can sell anything.
  I've seen some very frivolous decisions made by all the major manufacturers in recent years. How much did it cost S&W to design and tool up to produce a 1911 style handgun?  And who needs it? Sure it is arguably the most popular design in the U.S. but everybody and their cousins are already producing it. Did the American shooters actually demand the S&W name on their 1911? So now they're producing ARs, as if we didn't already have plenty of choices in that style. And their much ballyhooed M&P pistol, just another Glock wannabe, albeit with a bit nicer styling, but who needs it?  When going to the expense of producing a new firearm it would seem to me they should produce something NEW, not jump onto the bandwagon where the market is already flooded. But that is the U.S. corporate strategy, see what is selling and jump in there to "fight for a share of that market". Why not look for a market that isn't already flooded and have it all to yourself while at the same time giving the American shooter something they don't already have?  Nobody seems interested in building a better mousetrap, they just want to sell the same mousetrap in greater numbers.
Sorry for the rant, but it just really POs me to see American industry all going down the tubes and it is entirely due to the corporate heads who get millions of bucks for running the company into the sewer!

The buying American shooters like name recognition...and S&W certainly has that...You ask who needs those rifles...Well I'll tell you one thing as far as the AR's of S&W ...they are selling rather briskly..around here..and at a price cheaper than some of the others...Another thing...in the beginning...no one demanded a slab sided 45 ACP...and if it wasn't for the war...most wouldn't have since this was a revolver packing country with a few Lugers here & there......You talk about trying to build a better mouse trap as to guns...They have tried...and folks are happy with current designs...just as the majority of shooters always have...Come out with something new...and see what is said about it...Take you pick of what is being made...and look at the responses here already...people don't like change...The break action single shot has been around for how long...?...there isn't a whole heck of a lot they can do to them...that will constitute a new design...other than an electronic trigger or ammo...and that has been tried a few times already...As with most practical gun designs...those that work..work...those that don't...don't hang around long enough to make a ripple...let alone a big splash...

If Remington does run the company in the ground...and I kind of doubt they do but...(you never know stranger things have happened)....the Handi's we have now will increase in value..It would be a shame if NEF isn't around...but with as many of these rifles in as many configurations as what has been produced over the years..I don't see anything bad about owning them..or Remington's acquisition of the firm...Time will tell..

Mac

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #68 on: December 28, 2007, 11:46:17 AM »
they have the pulse of the American shooter.

coyotejoe
I'll give ya that one.  That part may have been a little over the top ;D.  But, like H&R and Marlin, they've been around a long time and they must be gettin' most of it right.

Does anyone know where the single shots are made?  The base model SP100 MSRP on the Remington web site is $115.  That's pretty close to a Pardner.  How do they compare...fit and finish?  Anyone ever do a side by side comparison? Do the barrels interchange on the same receiver? Can you even send it in to have a different gauge/caliber barrel fitted?  What ever happened to the over-under rifle/shotgun they were gonna market? 

These are just questions I have.  Things that may play a role in the decision making process over at Remington. 

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2007, 11:58:58 AM »
I think folks should wait & see what is in store for the Handi rifles...You can play what if all you want and it won't do any good...but I know 2 things for a fact...Remington has 1 very good custom shop...now don't they and they don't have much problem with over sized chambers & bores...now do they ;) ;) :D

Mac

You forgot the 3rd fact...They also have the worst Customer Service in the industry!
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #70 on: December 28, 2007, 12:09:56 PM »
Maybe Jennifer could help them solve that problem ;D
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2007, 12:16:05 PM »

coyotejoe
I'll give ya that one.  That part may have been a little over the top ;D.  But, like H&R and Marlin, they've been around a long time and they must be gettin' most of it right.

Does anyone know where the single shots are made?  The base model SP100 MSRP on the Remington web site is $115.  That's pretty close to a Pardner.  How do they compare...fit and finish?  Anyone ever do a side by side comparison? Do the barrels interchange on the same receiver? Can you even send it in to have a different gauge/caliber barrel fitted?  What ever happened to the over-under rifle/shotgun they were gonna market? 

These are just questions I have.  Things that may play a role in the decision making process over at Remington. 

cookiemann

If I remember right the Spartans are made in Russia, or at least they were when they first came out.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #72 on: December 28, 2007, 12:53:47 PM »

coyotejoe

cookiemann

If I remember right the Spartans are made in Russia, or at least they were when they first came out.

Thats right. As far as their CS I haven't had much trouble with them. Not near as much with others like Browning's bad CS.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #74 on: December 28, 2007, 01:40:27 PM »

Mac

You forgot the 3rd fact...They also have the worst Customer Service in the industry!

No...not to me they haven't.....I've had excellent customer service from Remington...They used to have about the worse...but a couple years ago...they completely revamped that department...and since then...as long as you aren't rude or cuss them out..they normally take real good care of you..

Mac

Offline Jellyhead

« Reply #75 on: December 28, 2007, 02:13:25 PM »
Copied from H&R's website:

Press Releases

Remington to Acquire Marlin Firearms

New CR Carbine in 45 Long Colt is highlight of H&R/NEF lineup for 2007
The Target Model and Buffalo Classic have long been favorites of the nostalgia crowd. Now you can get a carbine version of these models with a 22-inch barrel, chambered for another historic cartridge – the 45 Long Colt.
Remington to Acquire Marlin Firearms
Deal positions Marlin and its various brands for growth

Madison, North Carolina – December 26, 2007 – Remington Arms Company, Inc. (“Remington” or “ the Company”) the only manufacturer of both firearms and ammunition for Hunting, Law Enforcement/Security, Government & Military applications in the United States, today announced it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Marlin Firearms Company, Inc. (“Marlin”). The transaction is expected to close by the end of January 2008.

Marlin, headquartered in North Haven, Connecticut, also owns Harrington and Richardson (H&R), New England Firearms (NEF) and LC Smith brands of rifles and shotguns.

Tommy Millner Remington’s CEO, said, “I am pleased to announce that Marlin’s well known brands with a long heritage of providing quality rifles and shotguns to hunters and shooters around the world will join the Remington family. The opportunity to combine two historic U.S. based companies with such storied and proud histories, is both challenging and exhilarating.”

“We look forward to working with Bob Behn, a well respected member of our industry. He will remain as president of Marlin, charting a course of further growth and operational improvement,” Mr. Millner continued.

Closing of the transaction is subject to certain customary conditions, including regulatory approvals. Credit Suisse acted as financial advisor to Remington with respect to this acquisition. Duff & Phelps Securities, LLC, a unit of Duff & Phelps Corporation (NYSE:DUF), initiated the transaction, assisted in the negotiations and acted as exclusive financial advisor to Marlin.

Frank Kenna III, Marlin’s Chairman, said, “Marlin has been a family run business since 1924 and through a number of important steps, we have grown it into the company it is today. We knew it was time to find the right partner for Marlin to ensure our brands maintain their leadership positions and move into the next century.”

Mr. Kenna III continued, “We believe Remington’s commitment to the industry, shooters and hunters alike, combined with their resources from a manufacturing and sales and marketing position, will reinforce the confidence, hard work and dedication that our employees and management have put into our brands.”

Marlin manufactures a wide range of long guns, from the historic Model 39 and 336 rifles, which are the oldest shoulder arm designs in the world still being produced, to the XLR Series, which are the most accurate lever action rifles in the world. Its lever action 22 repeater, now the Model 39, became the favorite of many exhibition shooters, including the great Annie Oakley.

E. Scott Blackwell, Remington’s President of Global Sales/Marketing and Product Development, said, “The history of our two companies in innovation and meeting the needs of hunters and shooters around the globe, combined with the opportunity to further develop the Remington, Marlin, H&R, NEF and LC Smith brands, is not only beneficial to the Company and our channel partners, but especially to our to the end customer. And it is these customers and our employees that have contributed to the success and longevity of these brands.”
About Remington Arms Company, Inc.

Remington Arms Company, Inc., headquartered in Madison, N.C., designs, produces and sells sporting goods products for the hunting and shooting sports markets, as well as solutions to the military, government and law enforcement markets. Founded in 1816 in upstate New York, the Company is one of the nation’s oldest continuously operating manufacturers. Remington is the only U.S. manufacturer of both firearms and ammunition products and one of the largest domestic producers of shotguns and rifles. The Company distributes its products throughout the U.S. and in over 55 foreign countries. More information about the Company can be found at www.remington.com.
About Marlin Firearms Inc.

Established in 1870, The Marlin Firearms Company’s brands include Marlin, Harrington & Richardson, New England Firearms and L. C. Smith. Under its various brands, Marlin produces an array of lever action, bolt action, and semi-automatic rifles, a wide variety of break-open single shot shotguns and rifles as well as muzzleloaders and combo sets. The company maintains a corporate Headquarters and manufacturing plant in North Haven, Connecticut as well as a manufacturing facility in Gardner, Massachusetts.
Forward-Looking Statements

This press release includes "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of federal securities laws. Forward-looking statements give the Company's current expectations or forecasts of future events. These forward looking statements include expectations regarding (i) the proposed acquisition, (ii) the anticipated benefits of the acquisition and (iii) the timing of the proposed acquisition. The Company cautions that these statements are qualified by important factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those reflected by such forward-looking statements. Such factors include the demand for the Company's products, the Company's growth opportunities, and other risks detailed from time to time in the Company’s reports filed with the SEC, including its Form 10-K Report for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2006.

The Company assumes no obligation to update publicly such forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.

http://hr1871.com/News/pressreleases.aspx#remington

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #76 on: December 28, 2007, 04:33:41 PM »

Mac

No...not to me they haven't.....I've had excellent customer service from Remington...They used to have about the worse...but a couple years ago...they completely revamped that department...and since then...as long as you aren't rude or cuss them out..they normally take real good care of you..

Mac

Mac,

That is good to hear. My experience with them has been from the 80's and 90's. All toll, 4 or 5 instances that were the worst, I had written them off. I guess I will have to give them another chance. Thanks for the heads up. The only Remington left in my house is my sons 870, and luckily it has been a good one.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #77 on: December 28, 2007, 04:58:01 PM »
I haven't had to send one back since 1998. I have only sent 2 back.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline Ireload2

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
« Reply #78 on: December 28, 2007, 06:25:43 PM »
Maybe the microgroove barrels will finally go down the toilet.....

Offline vincewarde

• Avid Poster
« Reply #79 on: December 28, 2007, 08:00:18 PM »
It seems to me that this investment company is trying to put together a group of firearms companies that offer a broad selection of long guns.  S&W has T/C and their single shots.  Buying Marlin and H&R gives them Marlin's lever guns and H&R's single shots.  T/C sells a lot of guns - and the Handi-rifle could be a real competitor if they standardized the new "magnum" frame and increased tolerances to allow full barrel interchangeability. Assuming that fitting "magnum" barrels to our "standard" frame is mechanically impossible, they would not have to worry about the "new" barrels ending up on "old" frames that might require fitting .  Of course they would have price their offer a bit below T/C s ......... which in my opinion cost way too much.

Another reason for buying Marlin and H&R is that their guns are not as likely to be banned.  Single shots and lever guns are hard to label as "assault weapons" :)

Speaking as a resident of the People's Republic of Kalifornia (at least until I retire to Idaho), yet another angle is that the more firearms are regulated, the more single shots with interchangeable barrels become an attractive option.  It's hard to find deals on guns because there are few discount stores selling guns.  In addition, by the time you pay fees, taxes, etc a $275.00 rifle will cost over $400.00 out the door.  Anti-gunners want to disarm the poor first, so making guns more expensive is likely to be a tactic the push in other left leaning states too.  Sooner or later the anti-gun crowd is going to try the same thing that has worked so well with cigarettes (I don't smoke, but I think taxes have driven the price up to well over $5.00 a pack).   Look for it to be called an "impact fee".

A great advantage of T/C s and Handi s is that instead of going through all of the expense and hassle of buying another gun, you can just buy another barrel.  No state fees, no dual background check and no waiting period.  About 1/4 the cost of a new gun and I can even have it mailed to me across state lines!

Just my .02 worth.....
"Preach the Gospel at all times, when absolutely necessary - use words" St Francis
<><

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #80 on: December 29, 2007, 12:34:02 AM »
Microgroove barrels shoot fine for me.  Now the 2 greatest gun companies in the world are one.  I'm not concerned.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
« Reply #81 on: December 29, 2007, 02:56:39 AM »
maybe it will work out like the bennelli ,stoeger,franchi uberti deal that turned out good in my book, they kept things goin as normal but really bettered all the lines, they are doin good last i read? all we all can do is kep the fingers crossed , maybe some emails and call later on when the deals done to inform the remington people we want the lines to be improved not  sent down the river?

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #82 on: December 29, 2007, 04:18:30 AM »

Quote from:  Busta
Mac,

That is good to hear. My experience with them has been from the 80's and 90's. All toll, 4 or 5 instances that were the worst, I had written them off. I guess I will have to give them another chance. Thanks for the heads up. The only Remington left in my house is my sons 870, and luckily it has been a good one.

Yup...they have did a 180 turn around from where they were in the late 80's -early 90's ..They aren't perfect...but they are pretty damn good getting the problems fixed...I certainly hope that they leave NEF's C/S department alone..and intact...they could always use more help...but our guys & gals are about the best at what they do for the Handi's...The 870 & 1100 are the 2 best single barrel shotguns ever produced as far as I am concerned..springs..pins..trigger groups..choke tubes..extra barrels..different stocks...are easy to come by and easy to fix..

Mac

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #83 on: December 29, 2007, 05:00:26 AM »
Sure would like to see them put in a 21st century inventory system so they know what they got and what they don't got till some one goes out back and finds out they ain't got what they thought they had. Hell a Kardex system would work better than what they now use.Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
Remington to buy Marlin
« Reply #84 on: December 29, 2007, 02:15:35 PM »
I saw in my local newspaper, the Utica(New York) Observer-Dispatch, that Remington bought Marlin.  Since Marlin owns H&R, your next H&R might be a Remington.  I wonder if Remington's will start having micro-groove barrels?  I hope that they have the sense to leave Marlin and H&R intact so we can have choices.

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• A Real Regular
« Reply #85 on: December 30, 2007, 11:57:27 AM »
Frank Kenna III, Marlin’s Chairman, said, “Marlin has been a family run business since 1924 and through a number of important steps, we have grown it into the company it is today. We knew it was time to find the right partner for Marlin to ensure our brands maintain their leadership positions and move into the next century.”

Boy, what a great Christmas present for the good folks at NEF and Marlin... ::)  I wonder how many are sitting around right now and wondering if their job will be eliminated?  I just can't fathom how you can just sell off the business that has such a great reputation and has been in your family for over 80 years?  ....guess it is simple GREED.

Jim
He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: December 30, 2007, 12:06:36 PM »
I should think if the Gardner GCOC president's statement is accurate, H&R employees shouldn't feel too threatened, but ya never know. ::)

Tim

http://wbjournal.com/j/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3055&Itemid=129

Gardner Firearm Manufacturer Sold     
Written by Christina Davis     
Thursday, 27 December 2007 
The parent company of a gun manufacturer in Gardner is expected to be bought by North Carolina-based Remington Arms Co. Inc.

Remington has entered into a definitive agreement to buy Marlin Firearms Co. Inc. of North Haven, Conn., for an undisclosed sum. Marlin, a family-owned business, owns H&R 1871 Inc. in Gardner, which employs about 230 people.

H&R (Harrington and Richardson) was founded in the 1871, and at one time had a plant in Worcester. According to past news reports, the company was bought by James O. Garrison in 1991, who then sold the company to Marlin in 2000 citing mounting legal bills from class action handgun lawsuits.

Greater Gardner Chamber of Commerce President Michael Ellis said he does not expect the purchase to hurt H&R.

"As a subsidiary of Marlin they have done better than Marlin," he said. "They have had better earnings and better profits. So my feeling is that H&R is in a pretty good position."

The Remington deal is expected to close in January

Offline db22

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
Seen the NEF website today?
« Reply #87 on: January 01, 2008, 09:33:10 AM »
There's a little news item on the NEF website today. Did I miss a previous post about it? Marlin is being bought out by Remington. So -- maybe we'll see Handi-rifles in calibers not previously possible, like .260 Remington and .338 Winchester, since Remington can supply barrel stock in those bore sizes. And the .44 caliber issues might be cleared up once and for all. 

The same thing is happening in many American industries -- big guys swallow up little guys, and the little guys go along because they can't afford to compete with overseas makers any more. Let's hope that Big Green doesn't decide to stop making NEF guns in the USA. They do import some rough single-shots from Russia already. I want to think positive and hope they will quit selling Russian guns and expand the plant in Gardner MA, give the workers a raise and install some modern machinery.
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." -- Samuel Adams

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: January 01, 2008, 09:41:16 AM »
Old news db22, I merged your post with the original thread. ;)

Jellyhead posted the H&R news on reply #75.

Tim

Offline aflineman

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #89 on: January 01, 2008, 11:17:12 AM »
The thing that worries me is, these are the same folks that have bought out Chrysler. How many more American companies will now be bought up due to the decline of the dollar?  They have Chrysler, DPMS, Remington, and now Marlin/NEF. What is next?
Have lights? Thank a Lineman!