Author Topic: Wild Turkey  (Read 824 times)

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
Wild Turkey
« on: December 26, 2007, 12:23:22 PM »
Did anyone hunt wild turkey and had it for x-mad dinner.

As a side dish we had a rosted hickory smoked pheasant, which was very good.

Many years ago when we had no children my wife and I had Black Ducks for
CHRISTmas dinner. They are much like a mallard and feed on wild rice rather than grain. At one time we had a Canada Goose for CHRISTmas.

Wild Turkey has always intrigued me, never tasted one.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Wild Turkey
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 12:34:04 PM »
Fred,

I've eaten a lot of Merriams wild turkey, the breast is great cut ½" thick, dipped in egg and rolled in flour, then deep fried, but oven baked, they're no Butterball, I'll tell ya that. The rest of the turkey is good in turkey soup or stew, but the legs and thighs are so tough, they aren't much good any other way. They may be good deep fried in a turkey cooker, but I can't see spending that kind of money on oil for a turkey or two a year, so I just make chicken-fried turkey breast strips or Turkey McNuggets with the meat batter dipped and deep fried.  ;)

If I want a turkey for oven baking, I'll buy one at Safeway or Albertson's!! ::)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline ccoorreeyy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 01:11:42 PM »
Whats Safeway or Albertson's?  I'm live in Georgia and don't think I have ever heard of one of these.
This is the day that the Lord hath made!!  I will rejoice and be glad in it!!

Offline Foggy

• Trade Count: (40)
  • A Real Regular
  • If you die first we're going to split up your gear
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 01:16:09 PM »
Winn Dixie
Walk softly carry a big stick and never walk away  T.R.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 01:21:36 PM »
Safeway is a national chain and is in Canada, I think Albertson's is a west coast chain. ;)

Tim

http://shop.safeway.com/superstore/default.asp?brandid=1&page=corphome

http://www.albertsons.com/defaultSSL.asp
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 02:01:31 PM »
Fred,

I've eaten a lot of Merriams wild turkey, the breast is great cut ½" thick, dipped in egg and rolled in flour, then deep fried, but oven baked, they're no Butterball, I'll tell ya that. The rest of the turkey is good in turkey soup or stew, but the legs and thighs are so tough, they aren't much good any other way. They may be good deep fried in a turkey cooker, but I can't see spending that kind of money on oil for a turkey or two a year, so I just make chicken-fried turkey breast strips or Turkey McNuggets with the meat batter dipped and deep fried.  ;)

If I want a turkey for oven baking, I'll buy one at Safeway or Albertson's!! ::)

Tim

Here I thought I was the only one who felt that way about those wild turkey!

I couldn't agree more, and give me a store bought ButterBall anyday!

We've got those Rio Grande subspecies, and they are some scraunny tough old birds, and if you don't make nuggets or strips out of them, then you would be better off eating your boot.
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 02:06:09 PM »
Fred,

Tim

Tim I have to agree with you 100%. The wild turkeys we have here in Virginia are the same as your Merriams as far as the eating quality. I fix mine the same way as you do,  chicken-fried turkey breast strips.

I fixed a venison roast for our Christmas dinner and it must have been real good because it all got gone.

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007, 03:42:06 PM »
Eh, you guys I am really disappointed, I thought these birds were really
yummy. They must be as bad as Ground Hogs, the toughest meat I ever ate.
One of my favorite bird is a farm grown capon, the bigger the better.

Albertson is a Supermarket chain right down to Yuma AZ. We shop there in Yuma.Yes we have Safeway in Canada. Safeway is US owned, they sell good stuff meat in particular.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline bigjeepman

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2007, 03:50:03 PM »
Sorry, but I have to agree with the others about the taste of wild turkey. Like Tim said, the breasts are okay if they are chicken fried. The only way I really enjoy any turkey is injecting it with liquid seasonings, putting rub on the outside, and deep frying it. Now that is good eating to me.

bjm
5 Rules for Happiness
free your heart from hatred ... free your mind from worries ... live simply ... give more ... expect less

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2007, 04:14:28 PM »

The way turkey is fit to eat is smoked.  Over Mesquite wood fire,
 That's when they are good!!!!!!!!! Marv.

Offline mrgd

• Avid Poster
    • Red River Ammo Company  Edmond, OK
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2007, 04:32:33 PM »
Well, in my opinion, the main problem with Turkeys being tough has to do with the fact that it is popular to try to get one with a really long beard.  In other words, old and tough.  Shoot a jake, pluck the breast.  Leave the skin on and smoke it, delicious.  Older birds I do the chicken fry thing with too.  Every turkey I have ever eaten has had good flavor, but some of the old ones have been tough.  The best turkeys I have eaten were taken on a place where the neighbor decided about a year before to start feeding them corn.  He put feeders all over the place and fed the wild turkeys.  They were big and fat.  Then one attacked  his wife and he stopped filling the feeders.  I know, sounds like bs, but a crazy turkey flogged her for no apparent reason one day in the woods next to the house.

tt

Offline SM Bob

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2007, 05:52:15 PM »
A wild bird probably won't be as good eating as a farm raised one.
I can imagine it would be pretty stressful wondering where your
next meal is coming from on top of will I get eaten today? ;)
I wonder if it would make a difference to brine a wild turkey?
I do that with my store bought ones that I cook for Thanksgiving
and Christmas. They are 100% juicy and tender as can be!

Robert

Offline ro

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2007, 07:41:40 PM »
 i smoke all my turkey over low coals with hickey and cherry wood, i have smoked just the breast and the whole turkey, they have always turned out great,

Offline Nightstalker6117

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2007, 05:47:13 AM »
I am with the later of the post sorry Tim, yall can take the butter(steroid)ball let me get a wild bird Smoke it rubbed with some good spicy seasoning and inject if you want nothing better. I did one and my brother came over and to this day he says that is the best thing he has ever put in his mouth.
NEF 25-06 3x9x40 Bushy
Support the men and women that risk their lives for your rights

Offline Clodhopper

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2007, 07:31:49 AM »
I had a little sip of Wild Turkey after Christmas dinner!  Does that count?

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2007, 07:46:57 AM »
We did ducks for CHRISTmas this year also... along with a Publix turkey and ham.  I did do a wild turkey breast in deer camp this year though.  Ina crock pot.  Fallin off the bone tender, but to much Tarragon... :P
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2007, 10:06:33 AM »
We had Rio grands in sw OK. where i hunted them years ago. They would start eating
pecans as soon as the pecans started to fall, they were pretty good eating if you got a younger one, i liked them smoked mostly, think the BB is better. i think the wild turkey is about 100% better than white tail deer.
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.