Author Topic: Choke tube for 870 smoothbore and slugs?  (Read 732 times)

Offline cherokee75

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Choke tube for 870 smoothbore and slugs?
« on: December 27, 2007, 10:39:35 PM »
My first question is can I use my smooth bore bird barrel with interchangeable choke tubes to shoot Remington Sluggers with?  If so which tube do I use between imp., mod., and full?  I am not interested in a rifled choke as I already have a rifled deer barrel for my 870 but I don't want to pay the money for the sabots.  I use my Omega for stands with longer shot possibilities anyway?

Offline John020769

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Choke tube for 870 smoothbore and slugs?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 01:17:33 AM »
I use the rifle tube with the sluggers with 3in groups out to 100 yds. and have used the Mod. tube with 3in groups at 50 yds., saddle scope and Simmons scope ....John

Offline wink_man

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 05:18:10 PM »
You can use your bird barrel with interchangeable choke tubes to shoot Remington Sluggers, or any other lead type Foster slug.

While results vary from gun to gun, most of the time, the more open chokes will give the better results. For example, Remington makes their smoothbore slug barrels with an improved cylinder choke, Winchester makes theirs with a cylinder choke.

The more important question is,' do I have the ability, or option, to ridgidly mount a set of adjustable iron sights or a scope on the gun'. If you do not, it's almost a moot point to bother. Attempting to aim with the single shotgun bead will give dismal results at best. And at least in my state, you cannot hunt deer with a shotgun using slugs, unless you have either adjustable iron sights, or a scope on it.
Garry
'Life is to short to hang with an ugly woman, or hunt with an ugly gun' - Garry
'It's not that our liberal friends are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't' Ronald Reagan
Just ask an American Indian what happens when you let immigration get out of hand.

Offline 45/70fan

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 01:52:51 PM »
A modified tube and cheap Winchester fosters work great. I never could get the Remy's to shoot, but than I've not tried the newer oversize ones.

Offline Qtip

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 02:13:39 AM »
wink-man

Ya gotta do something about that avatar!

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!