Author Topic: New to forum with questions  (Read 241 times)

Offline AZHoosier

• Trade Count: (0)
  • An unloaded gun is just a CLUB!!
New to forum with questions
« on: December 28, 2007, 05:19:35 AM »
Good mornin'
Basically my first post. The others were comments. I've acquired by trade, my grandson's NEF .243, 20 inch youth rifle with synthetic stock. He out grew it and I've sort of decided due to some health issues to cut way back on hunting. No more stompin' the mountains. So, he now has my Ruger M-77 .270. So, I now have a few issues to sort out.

I'm putting on Gunstocks, Inc's Fiddleback Maple Stinger thumbhole stock and forend. Also it will be topped with an older BalVar 6 X 24 scope and a Morgan adjustable recoil/butt plate. It will mainly be used to kill paper and cardboard, maybe a few vermin on occasion. Be it known as to one of my downfalls....... If there is paper between three bullet holes at 100 yards!!!!!!..... Not acceptable!  

I received for Christmas a ambidextrous hammer extension. When I put it on it hit the scope when in the forward position. Bummer. I'm requesting opinions and experiences with the following. I'm looking at either shimming the scope base high enough, which isn't much, or replacing the scope rings with high rings or even "look through" as the gun has the open sights still on it. I will most likely leave the open sights on. Never know when you might need them. That is why I'm also looking at the "look through" rings. All notions are accepted!!!!!

It currently is getting the high gloss finish and the butt stock cut to fit the recoil pad. And yes, I will post a photo when it's saddle broke and ready to ride!!!!!
Bill
I shoot first, and don't ask questions.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: New to forum with questions
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 05:51:56 AM »
Welcome aboard, Bill! The 243 Superlight would be a poor choice for accurate paper punching, it's the most finicky of all H&R rifles, you'd be  happier sending the frame in, without the GSI stock, for an accessory barrel, one of the 243 bull barrels if you want to stick with 243.

Read the FAQs, lots of info there including how to modifiy the hammer to use lower rings, although depending on how high the comb is on the stinger, you may not need to change rings to just clear the hammer. Check the "Lets see some Handis" link in the FAQs, lots of handi pics including some of the GSI stocks. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline AZHoosier

• Trade Count: (0)
  • An unloaded gun is just a CLUB!!
Re: New to forum with questions
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 06:07:11 AM »
Hi Tim,
Thanks for the info. I've done a bit of reading on the FAQ's. Loads of good information. I do realize due to the lightness of the barrel, etc will affect the accuracy but I love challenges. I have, beyond question, my sights set on some other barrels for sure. Bull barrels, fluted barrels, that sort of thing. I'm not sure that I want to modify the hammer, thus the question about anyone using shims. I don't see why it won't work. Most likely a longer screw will be needed depending on thickness of the shim.

Again thanks for the information. Reading lots of the posts that you have done, you are for sure what one would categorize as an "expert." And I think there are others on the forum that fall into that group. Right Graybeard? You have a great site!!!!
I shoot first, and don't ask questions.