Author Topic: Help identify this rifle  (Read 566 times)

Offline victorcharlie

• Trade Count: (0)
Help identify this rifle
« on: December 28, 2007, 10:26:47 AM »
I've had for many years an old rolling block of unknown origin and caliber.  It has a emblem on it, a crown (maybe an Enfield?)  Then, under it it has AR.O,with the A's right leg the staff for the R.  Under that is 1877, probably the year of manufacture. The Rolling block has a serial number on it, but only the last 3 number are visible.

It's bore measures .435. Barrel length is 37"

It's a "Buffalo rifle" looking gun full stocked to within 4 inches or so from the muzzle and has a cleaning rod under the barrel.

I got it probably 40 years ago.....my father was going to make a lamp out of it, but I pitched a hissy fit and he gave it to me......(right after the a$$ whipping for throwing a hissy fit)......

Any idea's?
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: Help identify this rifle
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 12:33:34 PM »
The crown symbol is probably a proof mark, "1877" is most likely the patent date and/or model number and has nothing to do with the date of manufacture.  I'll take a look in my encyclopedia of firearms to see if I find anything that looks like what you described with that patent number.   
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Foggy

• Trade Count: (40)
  • A Real Regular
  • If you die first we're going to split up your gear
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 03:48:36 PM »
Sounds like one of the many .43 cal rifles made by Remington and contractors in various countries. Denmark, Spain and Egypt come to mind off hand. there are probably more . Do A chamber cast that will help figure out the caliber. could still be life in the old girl.

Foggy
Walk softly carry a big stick and never walk away  T.R.

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 04:44:12 PM »
Can you post a picture?
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 09:01:22 AM »
I'll get a picture of it soon.......I just emptied the gun safe, inventoried, lubed and put the least used ones in the rear.......guess where this gun is...?
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Brett

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 09:56:17 AM »
VC, is it possible that the second one down on the page of the attached link is what you have?

http://www.martinihenry.com/infantry.htm

This page may explain the AR marking (actually back to back R's) which you describe.

http://www.martinihenry.com/othermarkings.htm

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 12:12:06 PM »
The stock style is very similar, but mine has a rather large exposed hammer and rolling block......

Barry Goldwater

Offline Brett

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 02:59:22 PM »
It's a rolling block not a falling block?   Hmm, post pics when you can.  Maybe someone here can solve this mystery. 

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 10:47:30 AM »
About a month ago Cabelas in Ft. Worth had to rifles that look like what has been decribed
 they were marked the same and also said (if i remmberCorrectly) Egypt 43 cal. on
the side of the reciever.
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.