Author Topic: junk gun?  (Read 1654 times)

Offline Alice Cooper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
junk gun?
« on: December 28, 2007, 06:24:11 PM »
ok, so I had the feeling that nef meant a cheap,pot metal,throw away single shot.lately I got to feeling a need for a new project,a single shot used rusty gun to turn into a truck gun,and started reading up on the nef guns.I went out and purchased a used rusty nef pardner with excellent wood.the more I read, and looked at my purchase, the more I realized I was wrong.these things rock!I bought it yesterday, and went out today to see if I could stand that horrible 12 ga. kick i've been reading about.after shooting an 870 express with 3-1/2 inchers,this thing feels like a .410!I love it! this is the gun I wanted when I was a kid,but my dad bought me a 20 ga. revelation bolt action with a screw choke.still have it, it has a stock that reminds me of a garand,and I always hated the thing.the nef is a graceful swan in comparison.it has a coat of rust all over,and I've started work on it with steel wool and am going to duracoat it as soon as I decide what color I want.the original owner had never oiled the metal it seems, but strangely the stock is almost new with only one ding in the very front of the forearm.I should have learned years ago about forming opinions about things with no prior knowledge.did I say I love this gun? ::)
don't fry bacon naked!

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Re: junk gun?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 09:23:20 PM »
Now you've done it.  You're hooked. ;D  Try to post before and after pics or your project.  We really enjoy that around here. ;D

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Foggy

• Trade Count: (40)
  • A Real Regular
  • If you die first we're going to split up your gear
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 10:48:26 PM »
Welcome  Now you have to come to the meetings and everything. come early they are crowded.

Foggy
Walk softly carry a big stick and never walk away  T.R.

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 12:49:50 AM »
Welcome Alice.   :)

This is how it begins.  First we rescue one and give it a new life then we're hooked.  We begin scouring local shops looking for other lost souls that need a good home.  It just doesn't end. 

By the way, I saw you in concert around '76-'77 in Baltimore.  Great show!   ;D  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Offline fernie

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 03:11:15 AM »

AC -

Welcome!  NEF's are like an old pickup.  You'd never take your angle grinder to your new Escalade,  :o
but you can tweek that F150 carbed 300-6 to fit its own niche, and be proud of it.  8)

See you around...

Doc

Offline IXLR8

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 05:13:18 AM »
Hey Alice,I did the exact same thing,I bought a 20 ga. with full choke that was rusty and dirty.I had to scrub the rust from the inside of the barrel.The chamber was so bad a shell wouid not go in.To make a long story short,the balance and the way it points,as well as the light weight is good.I have taken it rabbit hunting several times this season with sucess every time.I just bought a 12 ga. modified,all though it is in good condition.Now i visit my local pawn shops on a regular basis looking for more.I am hooked.

IXLR8

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 06:28:20 AM »
You did a good thing by rescuing that Pardner!!
They are great shotguns and will serve you well for a long time.
Congrats and good luck with it!!

Spanky

Offline Alice Cooper

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 05:27:14 PM »
ok, went to the range today and shot at 25 yards, no.6,7-1/2,and 000 buck. the windage is right on, but i'm hitting about a foot low at 25 yads.the 000 buck put every pellet into a hand-span at that range,and the smaller shot had a nice pattern too, only about a foot below point of aim. now I have little shotgun expierience,but i've shot handguns every saturday and sunday(unless i'm sick) for the past 6 years.maybe I just need some shotgun aiming(pointing?) lessons. what you all say?
don't fry bacon naked!

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 03:19:42 AM »
i'm hitting about a foot low at 25 yads.the 000 buck put every pellet into a hand-span at that range,and the smaller shot had a nice pattern too, only about a foot below point of aim.

I find NEF Partners to pattern high.  At least in the smaller gauges.  Seems the frame is the same on all and is a rear reference point so the smaller the gauge (end of the barrel) the higher it points for me.  The 12 is fine though.  Just a little rough on the shoulder in a 5 Lb 8 oz gun. 

Keep us posted on your project.  It should be fun.

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 06:02:50 AM »
You've just started with this sickness I think and the only cure is to buy more Handirifles or shotguns. The pawn shops are good, that is how I started too- 16ga, 20ga, ML, and 243 so far!

Good luck with the gun,

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline Alice Cooper

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 01:27:48 PM »
well, i went back to the range and it shoots slugs and shot where it's supposed to now,I was just sighting it like a handgun instead of a shotgun.gah,old folk take a while to get the right idea.i'm thinking of modifying the ejector to just an extractor,the ejector makes a lot of noise, like if you wanted to switch from birdshot to buck or slug and not draw attention to oneself.many times silence is golden, dontchaknow... ;)
don't fry bacon naked!

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2008, 02:49:14 AM »
i'm thinking of modifying the ejector to just an extractor,the ejector makes a lot of noise, like if you wanted to switch from birdshot to buck or slug and not draw attention to oneself.many times silence is golden, dontchaknow... ;)

Not really necessary.  Just break the action a little, then press against the shell with your thumb as you break it the rest of the way.  Now slowly release your thumb, remove the birdshot and replace with a slug, or whatever.  Also when when you have that deer, or rabbit, really close, pull the trigger first and hold it, then pull the hammer back.  Now release the trigger then let the hammer move forward to the cocking notch.  No loud click.

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2008, 01:24:13 PM »
i'm thinking of modifying the ejector to just an extractor,the ejector makes a lot of noise, like if you wanted to switch from birdshot to buck or slug and not draw attention to oneself.many times silence is golden, dontchaknow... ;)

Not really necessary.  Just break the action a little, then press against the shell with your thumb as you break it the rest of the way.  Now slowly release your thumb, remove the birdshot and replace with a slug, or whatever.  Also when when you have that deer, or rabbit, really close, pull the trigger first and hold it, then pull the hammer back.  Now release the trigger then let the hammer move forward to the cocking notch.  No loud click.

Ditto! I also use the thumb thing when I get to my tree stand to unload quietly, so I can pull my unloaded gun up to me.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Alice Cooper

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2008, 05:22:08 PM »
yup, both methods work like a charm....i'm embarrassed I didn't think of it... :'(
don't fry bacon naked!

Offline Alice Cooper

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2008, 03:55:11 PM »
ok,i got the frame torn down completely, ready to derust and duracoat in "tango down flat dark earth".what is the accepted lubricant to use on the moving parts, and should I use some type of loctite(blue) on the splined ends,or will it be ok without it?should I try to line the splines back up with the marks in the frame,or is this a non-issue?i've never worked with splined pins before,hence my paranoia...
don't fry bacon naked!

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2008, 05:03:46 PM »
Lubing moving parts can be done with any decent gun oil such as RemOil.  Believe it or not many people lube moving parts with Mobil 1.  The splined ends should be fine.  If they do move you could always bring them out a little (to the left side) and apply loctite later.  Good luck and don't forget some pictures.

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2008, 05:28:48 PM »
Yeah, what he said...PICTURES ;D
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2008, 05:29:53 PM »
All that is covered in Perklo's trigger info which is in the FAQs, I've been using Superlube lately. The splined pin are hard enough to remove without anything on em, they certainly don't need loctite!! :o :D

Tim

www.perkloafm.com
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Alice Cooper

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2008, 05:46:26 PM »
thanks. this one seems to be a 1987 model,there was still lube inside,but none outside! i made a slave pin, per perklos recommendation, and that worked like a charm...the wooden template not so much.I finally sailed it over the back fence and took my chances with just my eye and the punches,and that went great.weren't near as hard as i'd have thought.and I didn't break, bend or dent anything, which is still amazing.i think i'll leave the trigger and hammer as it is,they look fine with no rust.it's about time I learned how to post photos....here's a recumbent bicycle I built and coated in "orange sherbert" duracoat. duracoat really goes on easy,that's less than 2 ounces of orange. oh. fourth photo down the page.
                                                     http://www.recycledrecumbent.com/new_page_1.htm
don't fry bacon naked!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2008, 05:51:46 PM »
Most folks are scared to do a trigger job, but once you get one under your belt, they're easy, I've done a couple dozen at least so far, piece of cake. ;D

The easiest way to post pics is use the Additional Options below and to the left of the post window, there's a size and file type restriction, but no need to upload to a hosting site, other pic posting help can be found in the FAQs or in the Blackpowder Mortar and Cannon forum.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2008, 11:34:44 PM »
Thanks, Tim.  I have been using photobucket.  I never new this function would work.

This ain't one of my guns.  Just grabbed a pic to see if I could do this. ;D
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"