Author Topic: bc in 45-70, tang sight and the range  (Read 341 times)

Offline towpro

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
bc in 45-70, tang sight and the range
« on: December 29, 2007, 11:12:08 AM »
Well I mounted the tang sight direct to the wood stock.  I figure if it don't work I will switch to the inserts next for a try.

I am happy to say its working great so far. I am shooting 405gn lead with the lowest dose of 4895.  My first attempt a couple weeks ago the tang sight hole was to small and I could not see anything.  I opened the sight hole up from .030" to .040", now Its letting more light through but still not enough so I think I am going to open it to .048" or so.

the weather was around 45 deg, overcast with enough wind from the side to fill 1/2 a wind sock.

Anyway, the chickens at 200 meter don't have a chance, I hit them every time!
The pig at 300 meters was in the shadows and its painted black, so I could not see it to hit it.
The turkeys at 400 meters were a little better, black against (dead) green grass but still hard to see them. I hit them around 1/2 the time.
the ram at 500 meters was invisible with the .040" hole.
I did try to aim where the ram was, but the 3" creedmore tang sight was all the way to the top and I could see the bullet hitting short. That can be solved with more powder ;D

Now I am going in for a vision check Jan 2nd, we will see if that helps some.

The Butt protector from Cabelas did the trick, I shot all 50 rounds without any pain.

Now my problem.  Even at the lowest dose of H4895 (40 grain per Hodgdon book) every time I fire the BC the action comes open.
If I am sitting on bags it closes again.  If I am holding it, it will open, the case will come 1/2 way out and the action tries to close on the brass (puts a nice dent in case).
I did slam the action closed every time before I shot.  Is there anything I can check before sending it back?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: bc in 45-70, tang sight and the range
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 11:17:00 AM »
#7....

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,116451.msg1098375514.html#msg1098375514

Check latch engagement in the barrel fitting info.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain