Author Topic: making my own Tracker I barrel, rainy day project  (Read 961 times)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
making my own Tracker I barrel, rainy day project
« on: December 29, 2007, 11:45:35 AM »
Hi guys, well here I sit at the computer, so much work to do around the house and bored. It's raining out and has been all day, my wife is sick and has been for 3 days. I did get to go out today on my day off to interview a witness. I cleared up a case for the lead attorney at work. She will be happy when I return to work on Monday and meet with her. I have been seeing and closely watching posts about putting sights on shotgun barrels with epoxy and started thinking about what pieces parts I have laying around. I make and repair golf clubs so I have epoxy and experience using it. I have a shorty 12 gauge barrel and I remembered a set of plastic/reinforced nylon sights for a CVA ML that I bought at Kittery Trading Post a while back thinking I may be able to fit them to a shotgun. I was thinking of my 16 gauge H&R but today got to thinking about my smoothbore 12 gauge shorty barrel. The barrel is 18.5" and a true cylinder bore now, although it started out as a full choke. The barrel fits many of my frames great and is more or less expendable so I thought I would work with it. I tried my sights on the barrel using double sided tape (golf club grip tape) and decided to place the rear sight on the barrel just forward of the chamber area instead on of the chamber itself. I believe this will aid with proper POI for slugs and for ease in seeing the rear sight better with my old eyes. After locating the position for the sights I scratched a small index mark on the barrel to insure I affixed it in the proper location after preparing the sights and location on the barrel. I made sure the radius on the sight was the same as on the barrel at the point of attachment by wrapping one wrap of 180 grit sandpaper on the barrel there and lightly stroking the rear sightbase on the paper a few times to get the radius perfect, it was very close to begin with. I then cleaned the barrel with 4/0 steel wool and alcohol to remove all grease and oil, lightly sanded the barrel where the sightbase will go and again cleaned the barrel and the sight base itself 2 mores times with alcohol on a paper towel and dried them thoroughly. I affixed the rear sight base in position and placed masking tape on the barrel outlining the sightbase. I mixed my epoxy, added coloring agent (black) to color the epxoy black to match the sight base and placed epoxy on both the sight base and where it contacted the barrel. I had checked and determined that 3 spring clamps, one large and 2 small, held the full length of the sight base firmly and evenly against the barrel. I then placed those spring clamps in position, rechecked the sight for being square and plumb and now it sits while the epoxy hardens. Tomorrow I will remove the clamps and try the sight for strength of adhesion. If all is well I will epoxy the front sight on tomorrow. A rainy day project that has me looking forward to tomorrow and to shooting the barrel on the range. A safe and happy new year to all....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
Re: making my own Tracker I barrel, rainy day project
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 11:55:32 AM »
I hope it works for ya. My concern would be the sights coming off when you shoot it. But theres only one way to find out ;). If it works it would make a real handi barrel to have
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 12:00:40 PM »
That will be the test for sure, shooting it. There is a thread here that others have done similar projects and the sights have held up well so far. I have a Tracker I already (2 12's actually, one with a scope rail and scope/red dot alternately, and an iron sighted one) so if these sights come off I will still have my shorty 12 gauge barrel, nothing lost really, and it has been fun....<><....:)

the thread that piqued my interest in this project is a bit down in this shotgun forum and is titled:
                               "H&R pardner 12 ga sight suggestions"
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 02:30:03 PM »
Sounds great!  If you don't like it, when its finished ;)I'll be more than happy to take if off your hands. ;D ;D

cookie
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 03:48:46 PM »
OK Cookie, I will keep all posted about how it works out....<><....:)

Offline Stan in SC

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 04:31:02 PM »
I'm looking forward to reading of your results on this one,Andy.Good post.
Stan
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70..it's almost a religion.

Offline scout4

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 04:37:02 PM »
Hey MSP Ret, sounds like a great project. I've done auto body & fender work, and remember patching with fiberglass and after grinding out the rust I would go around the perimeter and drill tiny holes just to catch the resin and hold the glass cloth inplace this seemed to work very well. I wonder if something similar to doing that would work for holding the sights in place better. Using a tiny drill bit and drilling just a couple holes maybe no more then a 1/16" deep in both the barrel and sight base then epoxy the sight in place. Just a notion! Keep up the good work here my friend! scout4<><

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 12:36:14 AM »
Sounds great, Andy.  If it works, what a great way to create a custom set up.

Well wishes to the Mrs.    :)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 02:07:39 AM »
Thanks Joe, and the same to you and your Mrs....<><....:)

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 02:27:41 AM »
I would like to cut one that short but would like to thread it for a choke.  Back when I was in the MPs in the Army (we carried 1911s to let you know how long ago that was) the arms room had Savage pumps with 18 1/2 inch barrels and FULL chokes.  I'm not kidding.  They were real handy but a Partner with that length barrel would be even shorter.

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 02:43:57 AM »
jpshaw,
I have a email off to H&R, just waiting for them to return from holiday and answer it. 

Do you have any of the 22" 20ga full choke youth barrels left in stock?

They used to make a Youth Turkey gun with camo stocks with that barrel.  I thought it might be a nice addition to my collection.  The kid across the street has one, but it was his first shotgun and he won't sell it to me.  Actually, kind of proud of him for that.  Wish I hadn't sold my first H&R.  That's 4" longer, but it might scratch that "itch" ;D

cookie
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Foggy

• Trade Count: (40)
  • A Real Regular
  • If you die first we're going to split up your gear
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2007, 02:47:30 AM »
Andy
before you bond the sights put cheese cloth between the area to be bonded  it will nt let the bonding agent get too thin and not bond good. That is how it's don on fighter aircraft. 

I thought about puttin a poly choke on a shorty  have all 3 chokes and nothing to loose
Walk softly carry a big stick and never walk away  T.R.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2007, 03:45:23 AM »
Thanks Foggy, that's an idea I will try in the future. A friend and hunting partner makes custom Longbows and used to work in the wood laminating business where they would manufacture 100' plus laminated beams and arches and such for the inside of churches and large fancy buildings and "greatrooms". What I learned from him was that epoxy loves pressure and heat to cure and adhere. There is a difference from a non permeable substance such as steel and plastic, nylon, and polycarbonate and a permeable substance such as wood. The thickness of the adhesive is important as are others factors. Your suggestion has great merit and I will explore it..Happy New Year....<><....:)

P.S. - the polychoke sounds great, especially since you already have it. Those are the projects I really enjoy, taking what you already have and making something better than the sum of the parts...

Offline scout4

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2007, 05:27:59 AM »
Hey MSP Ret, I like Foggy's idea. Better than tryin to drill. Sounds like he has experience with that. From what I've seen there is some heavy duty epoxy glues that should do a great job. I have a project gun to try some of things I've read here. Have an old mod.88 topper, but have to find out if I can get a barrel change for it. Anyway, I'll see what I can find. Thank Men have a great New Years! scout4<><

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2008, 11:25:31 AM »
Hi guys, I just got back from the range with my "custom" Tracker 1 12 gauge. The sights held up fine with the blackened epoxy. I fired 14 shots through it, 12 slugs and a couple of #4 buckshot just for fun, and is it fun!!! The 18.5 barrel is a hoot to shoot and I started right off at 50 yards. First I shot my 12 gauge H&R Tracker 1 I had drilled and tapped and a scope rail added. It is currently wearing a Simmons 2.5 power shotgun scope. I first used 2 3/4" Remington Sluggers with 1 oz. slugs, just to check the gun ($2.00 for the box of 5), a 3 hole clover leaf 1" below the bullseye. I was good to go on the test.
I then picked up the "custom" Tracker 1 with the CVA sights I epoxied on. I shot the 2 remaining Sluggers I had and put them 2" apart about 18" high and dead centered on the bull. The rear sight was centered on the elevation adjustment so I lowered it a bit, about half way to the bottom of the adjustment range. I then shot 3 Federal Max load 2 3/4 slugs, more kick, about 12" high and about a 3 1/2 in spread, I preferred the Sluggers!!! I then lowered the rear sight to the bottom of the marked scale on the elevator and shot 3 Federal Tactical Slugs, still quite a bit of kick, about 10" high a just about a 3 1/2 group, lateral, all the same height bit a bit to the right of the bull, about 1"-1.5". I then fired 3 Winchester 1 oz 2 3/4" slugs and they were also just under a foot high but right over the bull. Worst group so far, about 4". I had a Federal Tactical slug sitting slug on the bench and as I looked out at the 100 yard target butt I could see what was left of an orange clay pigeon on the banking, it looked to be intact but with the naked eye at 100 I could not be sure, what the heck the gun was shooting high so I loaded it up, put then gun on the rest I was using and lined up the iron sights I just recently finished epoxying on, I held right on the orange target and touched it off,  when I recovered from the recoil the clay pigeon was gone!!! Obliterated!!! I would rather be lucky than good anytime!!! I looked around for a witness but I was alone. Usually I like to shoot at the range alone but there are times a witness is good to have. Well I have wiped down my guns and looked at the "custom" Tracker 1 (Tracker 1/2?) barrel with the new sights. The windage is perfect but the elevation need some tweaking, unless you are going to shoot slugs only at 100 yards. I think I can simply file the rear notch a bit lower and perhaps even lower the 'ears" on either side of the notch to make it look better. So far this experiment has been an unqualified success, and this barrel can shoot!!!, now to just lower the POI and it's meat on the pole....<><....:)

P.S. - I also shot a couple of rounds of #4 buckshot from it, the first from the hip, WOW...that 18.5" barrel screams with buckshot when the sun is setting, it lights things up a bit also, the first one was so much fun I shot another just for chuckles, I could have done more and enjoyed them all, what a HD gun this would make, buckshot for defense and up close and if the bad guys got away you could shoot the tries off their getaway car at 100 yards with slugs and iron sights!!!!

Offline db22

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2008, 01:59:25 PM »
Andy -- It's good to hear you succeeded with your sight project. I had pretty fair results with an old Remington 700 barrel, a 28" modified plain tube that had a bulged choke. The previous owner probably shot a lot of early steel-shot ammo through it. I bobbed it off to 24", silver-soldered a Williams Shorty ramp on the front, and used JB Weld to affix a Williams aluminum rear base. After about 25 rounds of Rem Slugger, Winchester 1-ounce and Federal Truball, the sights are still in place. Give those Federal Truball slugs a try in your chokeless barrel. Your results with Slugger and Winchester ammunition were better than mine, but the old Remington barrel really liked the Federals -- there is a target hanging over my loading bench with a three-shot cloverleaf group, shot at 50 yards.

I hope you and your family had a good Christmas together. Is your wife feeling better? Here's hoping we all have a good year on the range and afield, safe and successful!

Dave
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." -- Samuel Adams

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2008, 03:20:55 PM »
Hi Dave, and yes, thanks for asking, my wife is finally feeling better, she did not eat for 3 days, I should be so lucky myself, I ate to much over the holidays. She was able to get out of the house with me yesterday for the first time in a week and think she is well on her way to being OK.
The sights on this barrel have really worked out well and the barrel shoots fine also. Who needs sabots at $15.00 to $18.00 and up per box of 5 when slugs for $2.00 for 5 on sale will shoot cloverleafs with a scope or 3" with iron sights at 50 yards, not I, not in the woods of New England at least.
I want to try this barrel with some Brennekes also and will look for some Federal Tru Balls, thanks for the tip. The Brennekes are what usually shoot the best for me, but the best were the Brenneke Rottweills and they are not imported anymore, Brenneke America is selling the KO's which I have found to be less accurate and less desirable. The Brenneke Rottweils I have left I am saving for hunting. Luckily lately the Remington Sluggers have been quite accurate as well so I will try more of them. I trust you and your family had a nice Christmas and New Years also. I am lucky, I spent part of 01/01/08 at the range!!!....<><....:)

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2008, 11:55:18 PM »
Isn't it great when a plan comes together?  What a way to begin a new year. 

Congratulations, Andy.  Good Job.   ;)

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2008, 05:08:57 PM »
Nice work Andy. You are right about the Rottweils being much better than the KOs. I cannot get any consistency in my slug guns with those KOs, same for a friend I hunt with. the Remingtons worked fine though :D
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us