Author Topic: Ultra Shooting Flatter than Handi  (Read 642 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Ultra Shooting Flatter than Handi
« on: December 29, 2007, 07:45:29 PM »
Finally got around to shooting the .223 Ultra I bought a few months ago and had to send back to H&R to get the ejector fixed.  Sighted in for 100 yards with the Night Force scope.  Moved the target out to 400 yards.  Used the third line down on the scope reticle and shot right over the target.  I'm only getting half the drop I expected.  Pulled out the Standard Handi, and using the same UMC factory ammo, Hit the target right as I expected.  There is an 8" difference at 400 yards between the standard Handi, and the Ultra, using the same ammo.  I guess the extra barrel lenght makes a difference.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline mrbgt

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Ultra Shooting Flatter than Handi
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 04:25:30 AM »
extra length helps , but i'd say the scope rail and rings might be sitting a little higher also

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 04:36:57 AM »
When you could buy the Win.varmit pack ammo than was rated at 3600 fps,the guy's with the 24" barrels were getting 3450 fps. while the 22" barrels were chronoing there's at 3350 fps. The scope may be a little higher also. My Saiga with the scope 4" above the bore cross's the first time at 69 Yds.and is 1.9" high at 100 and dead on at 280. And thats with a 308 cal.and a 125 gr. BT at alittle over 3000 fps.The scope mounted so high makes the 308 seem like a 220 Swift.   Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 10:42:44 AM »
The Night Force on the Ultra, does sit a lot higher than the Bushnell Compact on the Handi.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 12:39:52 PM »
The Night Force on the Ultra, does sit a lot higher than the Bushnell Compact on the Handi.

I think that would be the main reason, I have noticed the same with my RRA AR.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.