Author Topic: A Dictator in the "Fog of War"  (Read 960 times)

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
A Dictator in the "Fog of War"
« on: December 30, 2007, 06:17:21 PM »
 Actually the "Smoke of Fun" in this case...

I ordered this one from Dom with a can-size bore and a golf ball bbl sleeve...

I finally had a chance to take it out today. I used 3/4 full cans of plaster of paris and a small wad of foil over 150 grains FFG. At ~45 degrees, it would send a can out to about 200 yds.

With the same charge at ~20 degrees, it went about 150 yds. You can see the can just above the ridge line here...

One thing I wanted to find out is if the golf ball liner would stay put without some kind of retainer. As can be seen here, it didn't - it shot out about 5 feet. Charge was 75 grains FFG. Ball shot out of sight...

I suspect that maybe the ball was deformed upon firing and grabbed onto the bore sleeve and took it with it. Or, there may have been enough pressure present at firing to get under the base of the sleeve to eject it. Either way, some sort of retaining screw will be added so the mortar can do double duty (Cans and golf balls).

Another thing that was once again confirmed in my ongoing BP mortar research is that there is no way to prevent guys who have never seen one before to refrain from giddy giggling and shouting expletives.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
Re: A Dictator in the "Fog of War"
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 07:15:00 PM »
Wow the Dictator is even more impressive yet in this larger size  Definitely on my "To-get" list. Thanks for the great photos.., and the multi-bore is a great idea .

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 08:04:35 PM »
 Tropico - I can certainly recommend that you keep it on your list. I'm going to sell my large Coehorn. My "Dictatorito" is just as much fun without the danger of a hernia.

By the way, I was looking to take my thunder mug out with me today also but it was not where I left it in the garage. When I got back home, I asked my wife about it. It seems that since I made a silk purse out of a sow's ear from it, she's warmed up to the idea of having it in the house.

Some things never change - show 'em some gold and they want to compensate (errr... confiscate) it from ya!
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 02:12:09 AM »
Such fun!

As an alternative, one could make the 'liner' such that the powder charge was inside the powder chamber inside the liner - with only the fuse holes lining up.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 02:39:58 AM »
No, No, No!!! If you do this liner thing, then how do you justify a second mortar for golf ball mortar contests? Never ever create something that reduces the number of toys you have.
 ;D ;D

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 02:43:34 AM »
That shouldn't be a problem - because one ALWAYS needs a second mortar in the same caliber so one can shoot high angle with one, pause, and shoot low angle with the other so both rounds hit the same target at the same time!

::)
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 04:45:37 AM »
I disagree. If you make one mortar that does the job of two mortars then you will have money left over for the next toy. That way the boss(wife) won't complain about all of the toys taking up space in the garage and house.  ;D ;D ;D
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 04:47:18 AM »
I am not sure that I would lock the liner in place unless it had a very precise fit where it contacts the breech area.  Though remote an ember might develop at the seam between the two which might cause a problem during the loading process.  Just something to consider.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 05:51:45 AM »
That is something to consider. The ideal would be a liner that would stay in during firing, but that could be slid out of the way without a lot of hassle.

The bottom line on the locking mechanism will depend on how much of a change in appearance is acceptable.

What immediately came to my mind was a pivoting latch. It would pivot on a bolt screwed into the muzzle face of the mortar. The lower arm of the latch would extend beneath the muzzle, the upper would extend up in front of the liner.

The latch would only be in place when firing GBs, it would be removed for firing cans and for display. A flush-fitting setscrew could take its place.

This is not to scale, only to illustrate the concept.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 06:12:26 AM »
Better yet. Make the insert so it has both bore for Gb and powder chamber and  slides down in the bore and chamber of the can mortar.  Then a vent is screwed in that goes through both can chamber wall and into the powder chamber of insert.   This will serve to make a clear path into the insert much like a the vent does in a stand lined cannon barrel.  It will also help keep the ionsert from bouncing out.

This is how I did my  GB mortar a couple of years ago.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 01:40:20 PM »
     Great photos, Victor3!!  Nice to see somebody is getting out to make some smoke and thunder.  Mike and I really like the dual-bore conversion concept.

And to DD we say Ditto, DD.  See below:

Re: Just another Dom Dictator...
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 09:48:51 AM »
   Reply with quote Modify message
    I think Victor3 is pulling your leg, DD.  I would like to know if there is a screw-in vent piece that provides an unbroken channel for vent gasses upon discharge of the GB Mortar conversion and if it also acts as a bore sleeve retainer.  Very interesting concept.  Would it work in high pressure applications?

Wondering,

Tracy and Mike

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2007, 02:57:19 PM »
If the wall thickness around the powder chamber meets the criteria of being the same as the diameter of the powder chamber the insert should be usable 'free standing' - i.e., not dependant on the larger tube for any strength.  Hence, the only safety issue is the continuous channel for ignition.  The insert for the touch hole would lock the insert in place.

One therefore could have a 'matched set' of inserts. 

Maybe a little engraving and silver filiagree and a fitted wooden case for the high-end set?

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline lance

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2007, 03:11:57 PM »
 Great pics Victor3, everybody should have a Dom Carpenter mortar or two. I was wondering how the bbl sleeve would perform, i'm sure something will get figured out.................since the topic includes a mortar doing two jobs, and talk about having more toys. The 12pd'er Tredegar mortar that Dom made for me has a bore of 4.62", a golf ball drops into it's powder chamber. Does that count as a dual purpose mortar? I'd really hate to quit shooting my Dom Carpenter golf ball Dictator............ I know what to do!!! fire a golf ball from the two mortars as warning shots, then a 12pd'er.......two mortars doing three jobs ;D ;D ;D
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2007, 04:58:18 PM »
Such fun!

As an alternative, one could make the 'liner' such that the powder charge was inside the powder chamber inside the liner - with only the fuse holes lining up.

That was my first thought on the design. I went with the sleeve because it was simpler. I figured I could make  one with an integral chamber if the sleeve didn't work out.

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2007, 05:35:24 PM »
That is something to consider. The ideal would be a liner that would stay in during firing, but that could be slid out of the way without a lot of hassle.

The bottom line on the locking mechanism will depend on how much of a change in appearance is acceptable.

What immediately came to my mind was a pivoting latch. It would pivot on a bolt screwed into the muzzle face of the mortar. The lower arm of the latch would extend beneath the muzzle, the upper would extend up in front of the liner.

The latch would only be in place when firing GBs, it would be removed for firing cans and for display. A flush-fitting setscrew could take its place.

This is not to scale, only to illustrate the concept.

Something like this is what I will probably do. Instead of a clamp, I'm thinking of a screw with a large diameter head. I can grind a flat on the diameter of the screw head so that when it is turned 180 degrees, the sleeve will clear it for removal. Similar thing could be done with a cap screw and a thick washer with a flat on it.

I may also put a 1/4-20 hole in the end of the sleeve so I can use a slide hammer to remove it if it gets stuck.

Dom and I talked about a few retainer ideas - A big "washer" with a golf ball ID and an OD to match the bbl diameter secured to the muzzle with flat-head screws. A cap screw from the underside of the bbl through the can bore into a hole in the sleeve. A set screw from inside the sleeve bore into the can bore.

Any of these would work, but I'll probably just go with a screw from the front. I'm not all that concerned with asthetics on this one. It will be used much, displayed little since it's probably my most practical (If one can call any of these toys "practical" LOL!) cannon-type thing.

Sherlock Holmes