Author Topic: Pardner squirrel hunt  (Read 516 times)

Offline Mad Dog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Pardner squirrel hunt
« on: January 01, 2008, 06:35:18 AM »
I bought my son a pardner, years ago, as a companion to his tracker II deer gun.  My son doesn't use the gun much.  I ended up putting a cinnamon lam straight stock on the shotgun, cause I thought it classied it up a bit.  The gun has sat in my gun case for some time not seeing any use.

Since deer season is over, I've been getting back into the squirrel hunting this winter.  I have been several times with my marlin 39A[I've had it for years, and shot a ton of squirrels with it], but have only taken a couple.  Seems where I'm hunting, the squirrels are ultra spooky, and I'm having a hard time getting on them[old age/bifocals, I guess].  Yesterday for the heck of it, I grabbed that little 20 ga., and rummaged around and found some high brass #6s and headed for the woods.

Saw three squirrels, and managed to get 2 on the run thru the briars.  I wouldn't have stood a chance with the .22.  I was so impressed with its performance, that I think its gonna see a quite a bit of action, in the woods , during January.  I may just keep it and not let my son have it back ;D

Mad Dog
Mad Dog

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: Pardner squirrel hunt
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 06:40:22 AM »
Sounds like the ol' 20 found a new hunting buddy.   Good hunting to the both of you.  ;)
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 09:04:40 AM »
What an enjoyable time.  Thanks for sharing. 

I picked up a used 20 with a 26" modified barrel not long ago and plan to get in some woods time with it very soon.  ;)

:)

Offline db22

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 02:27:17 AM »
Mad Dog -- It's such a relief to hear others talking/writing about the pleasure of squirrel hunting!! A couple of years ago, I mentioned to someone at my gun club that I like to hunt squirrels, and he replied "You hunt TREE RATS??" Like it was a big waste of a true hunter's time to hunt squirrels! What a bonehead that guy is -- all you need for a perfect day in the hardwoods is a comfortable pair of boots and an old favorite shotgun or .22. Yes, I love deer hunting, but walking up squirrels is actually more fun to me -- less planning and hardware, less sitting and waiting, more walking and watching, and more shooting.

The older I get, the simpler I like things. So, here's hoping that 2008 brings all the aging (and young!) squirrel hunters here a wonderful year in the woods!!
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." -- Samuel Adams

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 02:40:13 AM »
db22, I couldn't agree more with you.  Far less money, planning and work involved in squirrel hunting and more time shooting and just enjoying the time in the woods.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC