Author Topic: Dogs Deserve Best  (Read 1771 times)

Offline Sheila

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Dogs Deserve Best
« on: January 01, 2008, 10:46:05 AM »
I think  they  are  a bunch of idiots.  You have to keep  your dog on a leash. A woman  in State Collage got herself  into a lot of trouble, because she went onto some people's proberty, and stole their dog because she thought  the dog  was being negleted. If you see a  dog being negelcted, you don't take it upon yourself to go onto that persons property, and take that animal. You call the police.
   You have to keep your  dog on a leash. Because if you don't, then that dog is going  to run out in front of a car, attack someone, or someone is going to shot the dog. Twice  in the summer, I have had  dogs approch me that were  not leashed, and I would would have every right to kill that dog.
[

United we stand against Ovomit.

Offline bulzaye

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
  • How about them cowboys
Re: Dogs Deserve Best
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 01:14:09 PM »
Every right to kill the dog? just because they approached you?  seems kind of harsh to me. My dog goes anywhere with me walking right beside me.  When I stop, he stops.  He would not approach you or anyone else.  I guess I am not getting the point of your post.
Deceased 4/26/08 RIP Bob.

A country boy can survive

Offline Sheila

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 01:45:28 PM »
No, you're not.  There is a law about keeping your dog on a leash The dogs that approched me were not leashed, they were running lose  in the neighborhod, yes, they have barked and showed their teeth at me. 
[

Offline powderman

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 04:14:35 PM »
SHEILA. You should have the right to defend yourself. POWDERMAN.  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 06:52:06 PM »
Have shot many dogs.  Their offense, they were running loose, and when I yelled for them to get, they growled at me.  Came close to shooting one last week, went to get the paper at the road.  While I was getting the paper out of the box, a dog came running down the street barking and growling.  I backed down the drive, and pulled my pistol.  I was aiming for his chest, when a woman went to screaming.  The dog stopped and turned toward her.  I held my gun on him as she ran up and grabbed him, attaching a leash to his collar.  She asked what I had intended to do?  I told her I was going to kill the Sucker(nice word for the expletive I actually used).  She was appalled and threatened to call the police, so I pulled out my cell phone and offered to call the North Pole Police.  That surprised her, I then told her that letting her dog run loose was against the local law, and I had every right to shoot it, when it came at me, especially on my property.  Next time I would not hesitate to shoot the animal.  Advised her to keep her animal on a leash or under closer control.  She was shocked and left in a huff.  Have not seen her, or her dog walking the street again.  Did have one of the neighbors ask me about it at a New Years party last night.   Apparently she has talked to some neighbors, and complained about me.  I told the neighbor what happened and that I would shoot the dog if it came into my yard and I felt threatened, which was the case that morning.   Everyone at the party agreed with me about my having the right to shoot the dog, but some said they would wait and try and scare it off first.  I told them that in the dark we have here, (the sun does not come up till after 10AM) I can not tell if it is a dog or a wolf, and I will not wait.  Everyone agreed with that.

Any dog that runs at me growling and showing his teeth, is treading on thin ice.  If there is no home nearby it is history.  Shoot them, throw them into the bushes, and with in 24 hours there will hardly be enough left to tell that it was a dog.  The wolves, coyotes, foxes, or ravens, will get them pretty quick, especially in the winter.

Got sued once over shooting two dogs.  Valuable sled dogs the owner claimed.  He lost and had to pay my attorney fees.  The fees were far more than the value of those two dogs, even he admitted that. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 05:00:21 AM »
It has always amazed me that the folks that care so little as to let their (usually un-neutered) mutts run loose, place such value on them or they become such valuable animals when they get hit or killed.
I've had dogs all my life and even here in the "way back" where I live, my dog don't run loose.

If a dog walks into  MY yard and growls at me, ain't gonna be no SSS involved. His owner, in the unlikely event that the dog has a collar and license,  is gonna be called up and told to come and get his dead a$$ out of my yard.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 06:43:24 AM »
To allow the animal to run loose in a populated neighborhood is nothing more than animal abuse, and indicated an irresponsible owner to me.  Lease laws are enacted not only for the safety and protection of the citizen, but for the animal as well.  Failure to keep the animal under control often places it in a situation where it may harm someone or be harmed itself.

Unfortunately, it is the poor animal that is normally killed or injured, but the irresponsible owner walks away feeling like the victim rather that the individual responsible for the incident. 

Offline tomzuki

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 07:30:58 AM »
I think the defining term here is un-attended.  Most "working" dogs are valuable, and as such should be leashed while near others.  Also dogs should be trained to "heel" and not run off by themselves.  As far as Sourdough, you have a valid point, but most neighborhoods do not have Wolf problems in them.  If people would take more responsibility for their pets it would eliminate many urban pet problems.  I like the guy in my neighborhood that takes the time to bag after the dog does his/her business, and then leaves the bag!  Makes you want to shake your head.
Tomzuki

Offline Sheila

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 02:35:29 PM »
SHEILA. You should have the right to defend yourself. POWDERMAN.  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

The next time that happens, the dog lunges at me, I grabbing him^by  the legs, and spreading them. You know what that's going to do to the dog.
[

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 11:30:38 PM »
Hmm sounds like someone is frightened of dogs.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 01:52:41 AM »
In NYS, unattended dogs running whitetail can be shot but that is about the only time they can be shot. 

You can defend yourselves in the cities if you are armed but face charges of discharging a firearm in the city when/if it happens. 

My dogs are pets, but they are just dogs.  They are not wolves or coyotes or otherwise dangerous predatory canines.  I see dogs loose all the time - none seem to be interested in me but I do not give off a weak sense of being and am usually left alone.  I haven't been bothered by a dog in years. 

The last dog I adopted was one I found - for all purposes I first thought it a wolf or coyote/dog mix but it turned out to be a lost female Shepard who has since joined my pack.

I too am in the 'way back' and a large part of this territory is claimed by my pets as they have walked it with me regularly.  For someone to come onto my property and claim the right to shoot one of my dogs under the guise of defending him/herself is only gonna get them a bullet and a spot on the forest floor right next to the rest of the coyote poop. 

Brithunter - you're right, sounds like someone is scared of dogs. 

There is an easier way to deal with dogs that approach you and I am speaking to any of you who carry a gun.  I find it interesting that a person with a gun can or will be a lot braver when dealing with another human but falls to pieces when faced by an animal. 

Get bear repellant spray - cheaper than a gun and more effective on smaller critters than Grizzly Bear.  That spary will stop any dog, wolf or coyote, period.  It won't be pleasant for the animal but that is what you want and that way you won't be mauled or bitten and the dog will be in pain.  All you have to do is aim and spray and the dog is in a major hurt.  I think that's what a lot of people who are afraid of dogs, or people, want -  the aggressor or antagonist to be in pain and rolling on the ground.  Geez, you can even go over and give'm a swift kick while they're down if it makes you feel better. 

One thing is for certain - if a dog is wandering or trespassing or lookin' for trouble and you gas it, it won't ever come back.  If you live in the wrong state and shoot the dog you may have to defend yourself in court. 

Tomzuki - I know people like that..................
JMTCW.  Mikey.

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 04:41:16 AM »
MY DOGS ARE JUST DOGS NOT WOLVES OR COYOTES
guess you have never seen or heard of feral dogs, they are much worse than coyotes or
maybe wolves (no or little fear of people)
We have a responsibility to these animals that WE domesticateed years ago not just dogs
WE have changed their lives to depend on people, yes their are animals that can survive
without us they become the feral hogs, cats, dogs and wild cattle.
WAKE UP AMERICA, take care of you animals and ilegal aliens.
Sorry couldn't help my self, box didn't collapse soon enough. ::) ::)
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 05:17:42 AM »
People make the mistaken comparison between a TRAINED, well-tended family member and an abused, neglected, semi-wild street animal.  Don't confuse the two. 
I'm not afraid of dogs but anyone that doesn't think a 100+# shepard or dobie with an attitude can't do some serious damage has been watching too many Disney movies.  For that matter, those stinking, little ankle biters have to be watched. Especially around small kids. Often they have little or no training because they are just too darling to spank don't you know.

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 10:38:47 AM »
Beeman
you have hit the nail on the head.
If you are going to have a dog then be responsible.
these street dogs have learn that most every one is after them and they act accordingly
Rex

Offline Sheila

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2008, 01:18:30 PM »

The next time that happens, the dog lunges at me, I grabbing him^by  the legs, and spreading them. You know what that's going to do to the dog.
Please don't be doin that to any Beagles,,,,they don't always know what they're doing...?        ;) ;D

...TM7

I meant   the front legs . When you spread those legs, it breaks the  dog's  sternum. 
[

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2008, 03:43:33 AM »
Dang, Sheila, this ain't your first rodeo is it?   ;D

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2008, 05:03:04 AM »
Sheila i need to ask, what is this dog going to be doing while you are grabing it by the front legs? i agree that what you say will work BUT i don't think i am fast enough to dodge it's
little toofys while i grab it ::)
Rex

Offline Sheila

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2008, 08:12:16 AM »
Sheila i need to ask, what is this dog going to be doing while you are grabing it by the front legs? i agree that what you say will work BUT i don't think i am fast enough to dodge it's
little toofys while i grab it ::)

Do you carry a knife? If you do, if the dog is about to lunge at you, take your knife and hold it between you and the dog. The grabbing legs part, you have to be very fast with that.  The dog probably won't be doing much of anything  when you grab him by the front legs. You just have to keep the dog away from your throat. And if the dog is already on top of you, grab him by throat, and try to break his windpipe.
[

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2008, 08:48:05 AM »
sheila i think i know how to handle a dog if you have a stick handie you can stick it in his mouth and half way to CHINA that will hold him of. What i am getting at is if by chance you do not grab Both legs at the same time and spread them quicker than a minnow can swim
a dipper he is going to chew on the hand you caught him with. I have had large black and
tan hound lunge at my face, in that case he had his mouth open and i had nothing
i was lucky enough to run my hand down his throat to about my elbow, amazingly enough
he couldn't even bit down on my arm. but that is very messy, don't like dogs slobbering
on me. trust me it is going to take a very strong person to grab a 80-90 lb upset half
wild dog and do any thing with him with out being chewed on at least a little (20-30stiches)
so be prepared.
Rex

Offline Sheila

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2008, 04:21:01 PM »
sheila i think i know how to handle a dog if you have a stick handie you can stick it in his mouth and half way to CHINA that will hold him of. What i am getting at is if by chance you do not grab Both legs at the same time and spread them quicker than a minnow can swim
a dipper he is going to chew on the hand you caught him with. I have had large black and
tan hound lunge at my face, in that case he had his mouth open and i had nothing
i was lucky enough to run my hand down his throat to about my elbow, amazingly enough
he couldn't even bit down on my arm. but that is very messy, don't like dogs slobbering
on me. trust me it is going to take a very strong person to grab a 80-90 lb upset half
wild dog and do any thing with him with out being chewed on at least a little (20-30stiches)
so be prepared.

Did you kill the  dog when  you  did that?
[

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2008, 01:08:54 AM »
GRAVE YARD DEAD his owner is still mad at me and that was about 25 years ago. the dog was running loose and i later found out that people had been calling the police
about it, i just happen to de there, i could have been a 5-6 year old .
Rex

Offline Hairtrigger

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2008, 02:11:33 AM »
Within the last year there was a story of a cop that let his K-9 partner loose and it ran down to his neighbor's property and threatened the guy. The neighbor shot it. There was talk of charging the poor guy as if he shot a cop.
The cop should have been charged with letting his dog loose as most citizens would have been, the dog was not wearing his badge at the time.
This happened in the Fremont Ohio area.

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2008, 05:45:30 AM »
I find that hard to believe about the K-9 dog. I've known a couple of K-9 cops and the dogs are too highly trained to do that sort of thing and the restrictions on the officer about the care their dogs are very astringent. 
Okay, from an old coyote trapper: carry a small club kinda like a billy with you. 2"x18" or so. Not too long nor clumsy.  When the dog attacks or gets into your comfort zone, show him your left hand to draw his attention and strike him sharply acrost the muzzle with the club. Not the head, not the body. This will stun him. Step on his neck and stomp his chest over the heart.  This will stop the heart. Then stand on his chest.  He won't be able to breathe.  Saves a bullet hole in the pelt.

Offline Hairtrigger

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2008, 07:35:37 AM »
Here is a link to the K-9 killing
http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061222/NEWS17/612220406
Unfortunately cops protect cops instead of charging them as they should

Offline Sheila

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2008, 10:28:13 AM »
GRAVE YARD DEAD his owner is still mad at me and that was about 25 years ago. the dog was running loose and i later found out that people had been calling the police
about it, i just happen to be there, i could have been a 5-6 year old .

Just ignore him. He's nothing but a big cry baby, it was his fault he left his dog run lose.
[

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2008, 11:52:51 AM »
I live out in the boondocks but my dog stays on her chain if she is not by my side.  Most of my neighbors let their dogs run free to $#!%% were ever they please and get into other peoples trash and pester us or our livestock.  Can't tell you the number of times one neighbor's lab pup has jumped up on my wife with muddy paws as she was going out to her car to go to work.  My wife works at a law firm and has to dress professionally.  I'm surprised she hasn't shot that one or it's owner herself.  Had a pack of stray dogs kill one of my roosters one night.  Saw them on a couple of other occasions but they would high tail it before I could get a shot off.   About two weeks ago I was standing in my driveway talking with a contractor when a Chocolate Lab I did not recognize wondered up to us.   It seemed friendly so I asked it where it came from and gave it a couple of pats on the head.  The next thing I know the SOB lifts its leg and tries to pee on me foot!  I booted it in the stomach and chased it off spewing a stream of colorful language much to the amusement of the contractor. 

I would complain to the neighbors about their dogs but I would have more than 3/4 of the neighborhood mad at me.  I did catch one and send it off to the pound.  The funny thing is all the neighbors think that my dog must be vicious because I keep her on a chain all the time.  I think I will just continue to let them think that.   ;)

Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Sheila

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2008, 12:36:24 PM »
I live out in the boondocks but my dog stays on her chain if she is not by my side.  Most of my neighbors let their dogs run free to $#!%% were ever they please and get into other peoples trash and pester us or our livestock.  Can't tell you the number of times one neighbor's lab pup has jumped up on my wife with muddy paws as she was going out to her car to go to work.  My wife works at a law firm and has to dress professionally.  I'm surprised she hasn't shot that one or it's owner herself.  Had a pack of stray dogs kill one of my roosters one night.  Saw them on a couple of other occasions but they would high tail it before I could get a shot off.   About two weeks ago I was standing in my driveway talking with a contractor when a Chocolate Lab I did not recognize wondered up to us.   It seemed friendly so I asked it where it came from and gave it a couple of pats on the head.  The next thing I know the SOB lifts its leg and tries to pee on me foot!  I booted it in the stomach and chased it off spewing a stream of colorful language much to the amusement of the contractor. 

I would complain to the neighbors about their dogs but I would have more than 3/4 of the neighborhood mad at me.  I did catch one and send it off to the pound.  The funny thing is all the neighbors think that my dog must be vicious because I keep her on a chain all the time.  I think I will just continue to let them think that.   ;)

Just make the Dogs Deserve Best Wackos don't see that, they  will  come on to your property and take your dog. They  have already  done that to some  people.
[

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2008, 06:31:23 AM »
Oh, here in Wild and Wonderful West Virginia, in Charleston, our state capital, there is a law that limits the amount of time your dog can spend outside on a chain.
We have drug dealers and whores on every corner but the cops are after the real criminals: The folks that smoke in bars and people that leave their dogs outside too long.