Author Topic: NEW Remington Premier® AccuTip Bonded 12ga Sabot Slug  (Read 1850 times)

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
NEW Remington Premier® AccuTip Bonded 12ga Sabot Slug
« on: January 01, 2008, 07:42:11 PM »
It's a PDF, so it may take a couple minutes if you are on dial-up. Polymer tip without the weight and mass, looks expensive.

http://www.remington.com/pdfs/08cat/2008_ammo.pdf

U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline deerhunter10

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: NEW Remington Premier® AccuTip Bonded 12ga Sabot Slug
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 05:21:33 PM »
Busta, called Remington today about another matter and they started telling me about this new slug for 2008, according to them this slug is capable of some amazing things, from unbelievable accuracy, to blowing up their gelatin molds into 4 parts. And that it actually has the energy and ballistics to be effective out to 300 yards. Right there they went to far! I tried to get on their web site while we were talking, but because of their new 2008 catalog release, their web site will be super slow for a while they said. They also said that the copper slug locks up in the sabot, which would be the 1st one to do that, outside of a lead slug like a Lightfield, or Hastings. But I will say their new Super Cell recoil pad sounds outstanding, if it can actually do what they say. I don't think we'll find the answers to anything new right now, they said some of these products won't be out for months yet. But I'm sure it will be some where on this forum, as soon as they hit.

Offline nkhunter

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 10:22:59 AM »
HMMM, might have to pick up a box and see if they perform better than my partitian golds, but  there isn't much room for improvement.

Offline wink_man

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 12:40:15 PM »
Busta, called Remington today about another matter and they started telling me about this new slug for 2008, according to them this slug is capable of some amazing things, from unbelievable accuracy, to blowing up their gelatin molds into 4 parts. And that it actually has the energy and ballistics to be effective out to 300 yards. Right there they went to far! I tried to get on their web site while we were talking, but because of their new 2008 catalog release, their web site will be super slow for a while they said. They also said that the copper slug locks up in the sabot, which would be the 1st one to do that, outside of a lead slug like a Lightfield, or Hastings. But I will say their new Super Cell recoil pad sounds outstanding, if it can actually do what they say. I don't think we'll find the answers to anything new right now, they said some of these products won't be out for months yet. But I'm sure it will be some where on this forum, as soon as they hit.

Not trying to sound negative here, but I think I'd take Remingtons sales pitch with a grain of salt as far as being a 300 yard slug, muzzle velocities just don't show it to be true. This new slug has a muzzle velocity of 1850 FPS in the 2 3/4 version, and 1900 FPS in the 3 inch version.

The Cor-Loct bonded slug has a muzzle velocity of 1900 FPS in the 2 3/4 inch version.

In comparing, both slugs weigh in at 385 grains. The new slug simply looks like a cor-lockt bonded slug with a plastic tip over it, and I don't see how that could possibly translate it into a 300 yard slug. Frankly, looks like a gimmick to me, and with 30 boxes of the cor-lockt bonded slugs we have, and comparing the differences I see, I think I'll just stick with them when I use a rifled barrel slug gun.

And with the Cor-Lockt Bonded slugs currently selling at around 16.99 a box, I can't even imagine what these new slugs will be selling for.

Here's comparative ballistics from Remingtons site, if you want to compare:

http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/shotshell/slugs/accutip_bonded_sabot_slug.asp

http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/shotshell/slugs/core-Lokt_ultra_bonded_sabot.asp

Just my personal thoughts and opinions.
Garry
'Life is to short to hang with an ugly woman, or hunt with an ugly gun' - Garry
'It's not that our liberal friends are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't' Ronald Reagan
Just ask an American Indian what happens when you let immigration get out of hand.

Offline nkhunter

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 01:52:34 PM »
I don't know if Remington officially proclaims the new "plastic tipped" corelokt to be a 300 yard performer, the published ballistics appear to be virtually identical to the winchester partitian 3" I currently use. I tried to convert to the remington version of the partitian, the corlokt as Wally world charges less for them but my Savage slug gun wouldn't digest them properly. Read my post on 200 yard slug guns. 300 yards might be a little far but 250 is definatly in range under the right situations.  I'll try that new remington slug but it'll have to really perform to replace my partitian gold's.

Offline wink_man

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 03:34:30 PM »
I understand, I'm just saying, in reading the specifications, and the way it was redesigned, it doesn't appear to be a better product than the Cor-Lock Ultra bonded slug.

Simple physics tells me that short and fat is out and long and slim is in when it comes to air resistance, and retaining velocity. This is exactly why slugs have transformed to what they are currently in comparison to the lead foster style slug. They redisigned this slug from 50 caliber to 58 caliber, and put on a plastic tip for a better air resistance. However, at 150 yards, the cor-loct bonded bullet has it beat, both in retained velocity and energy. So obviously, the plastic tip is not overcoming air resistance in relation to the diameter that the slug was increased to. Obviously, mid range trajectory is also higher than the cor-loct bonded slug.

I hate to say it also, but they are touting a 2.2 inch 100 yard group for this new slug, and a 1.8 inch group for it's predecessor. Of course, if your gun shoots it better, thats a whole different story. The upside of it all is that this new slug might reduce the price of cor-loct-ultra bonded slugs.

I am just leery of Remington anymore, especially since they were sold from under the DuPont umbrella, seems ever since then, that have to many bean counters in the corporate offices, and not enough skilled machinists in Ilion NY. Even before that I remember the 5MM rimfire they came out with, that they said was going to be the rage of all rimfires. Well, they discontinued the rifle after a few years, and then, couldn't even make ammunition for all the people that bought those rifles from them.

Garry
'Life is to short to hang with an ugly woman, or hunt with an ugly gun' - Garry
'It's not that our liberal friends are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't' Ronald Reagan
Just ask an American Indian what happens when you let immigration get out of hand.

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 09:03:12 PM »
In our 20 ga. Tracker II's we have settled on using the Win. Partition Gold (2000fps) as they are the most accurate we have tried. We have noticed that with the Remington Premier Cor-Lokt sabots that when changing lot numbers, our point of impact changes. With the price of these I'm done buying Remington. I just ordered some Partition golds today.

We have had good luck with the Federal 3" Barnes Expanders (1900 fps) as well. Stays fairly accurate like the Partition Golds..

Offline deerhunter10

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 09:03:51 PM »
Wink Man I totally took what Remington said with a grain of salt, like I said they went to far when their customer service guy said it was capable of shooting 300 yards. I've yet to even have any Remington slugs shoot with any consistent accuracy out of any of my shotguns. And since I've switched to Lightfield nothing has come close, but I'm always willing to look at new products. It's new, it's different looking, and it's got a green tip. I'm guessing it's going to get alot of attention. However this forum is where I go to get alot of opinions and info from. So I think the truth or feed back about these slugs will be posted right here as soon as they hit the market.

Offline nkhunter

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 02:45:18 AM »
Guess we'll have to wait and see. I haven't been a big fan or Remington Ammo for a while, Had several bad 7mm rem mag cases that split after a first reloading while my winnies are on their 5th load. Same with Federal.  My cousin had some rem sluggers that you could hear slide back and forth in t heir case. Are the slugs that loose? Hows that for consistency.   I'll still buy a box of them new fandangled green tips just to try out.  More than likely it'll just be another 17 bucks wasted and I'll stick with the partitian golds again for yet another season.

Offline 1187VX2

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 07:22:14 AM »
A couple years back, I finally just said to myself 'No, I'm not paying $3 a shot anymore' for the Hi Perf slugs (acquisition of a Savage Muzzleloader made this work).  Sure, using a box of slugs to hunt with doesn't cost that much but shooting 40 or 50 practice rounds is going to hurt.  I'm still interested in where slug technology is going, but if you want to stay in this game, you'll be paying $ 5 a shot soon.  I can't help but wonder when the hunting public is going to say enough and stop paying these prices.