Author Topic: My new shorty woods/truck gun  (Read 1697 times)

Offline Topper

• Trade Count: (0)
My new shorty woods/truck gun
« on: January 04, 2008, 11:50:34 AM »
My first H&R; an old 16 Ga.  Got it back around the mid 1980s.  Some time along the way I hack sawed the barrel off.  It was pretty beaten up from being thrown around in trucks, jeeps, and one too many canoe-camping trips. 

You guys are keeping me in trouble with the wife by filling me full of ideas…  I had all but forgotten about this old gun. 

I refinished the stock and sent the barrel to be threaded for chokes and a new bead site.
Now I have a new shorty woods/truck gun.

Thanks and keep the ideas coming.

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Re: My new shorty woods/truck gun
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 01:12:22 PM »
Nice job, Topper.  I like it.  I have always wondered why H&R never did the 16ga in a 22" youth length.  That's gotta be, what, about 19" barrel?  Sweet.

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 01:48:36 PM »
That's a beauty for sure, and in my favorite gauge also, the oldie but goodie sweet 16!!!....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Topper

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 01:49:10 PM »
Cookie, it’s just a hair over 18.5.  Oh, and I got my Tracker I barrel back form Carlson’s threaded, with 3 extended choke tubes (C, M, X-Full Turkey) plus one of the “spinner” type choke tools; really a fast turn around.  Can’t wait for the wind to settle so I can try it out.

Offline Froghunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
  • Contributor
  • .38 Special and .357 S&W Magnum Stuff
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 02:07:46 PM »
Topper,

Just returning home from the Holidays and I see your refurnished Pardner shorty. She's nice, very well done! Makes me want to go to the shop and work on my shorty slug gun, but I have things to do and help the wife unpack from the trip. Hopefully I will have time to work on it tomorrow. Again very nice Lil' Pardner Shorty and it sounds like the Tracker is doing well too! Is it a 12 ga. or 20 ga.

Froghunter
"Think Positive and Positive Things Will Happen"

"There's Only One Bore Size and That is .357....That's MHO"

Froghunter

Offline Topper

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 02:36:45 PM »
The Tracker I idea is Cookiemann’s fault.  I think he did one sometime back and it got me to thinking.  I sent it to Carlson’s and am very pleased with the turn around time and customer service support.  The Tracker I is 20 Ga. 
The 16 Ga. went to a local gunsmith for threading.  Although he did good work it took for ever to get it back. 

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 04:47:27 PM »
My smithy turned mine out in about a week and half.  But that was in the early spring, when things were slow for him.  I still haven't decided whether or not to have the T1 12ga done or not.  I may save the $$$ and get a 16ga to shorten and tube out.  Been thinking of gettin' a 16ga anyway and after seeing how yours turned out, well....

cookiemann

Welcome home Froghunter, glad you had a safe trip.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Alice Cooper

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 08:12:37 PM »
tell me the particulars about getting a barrel threaded for choke tubes....I know where another rusty 12 guage is,if i'm gonna duracoat one rusty gun, might as well make me a canoe shorty too since i'll have plenty duracoat left to do another...yeah, my wife will go for that logic....
don't fry bacon naked!

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 11:19:41 PM »
Not many particulars to it, really.  Take it to your gunsmith and have him cut it down to the length you want and then thread it for choke tubes.  How many and which tubes you get will depend of what you will be using it for.  If your smithy is a "one man" shop, he will likely only have taps for ONE type/brand of choke.  My smith, for instance, only threads for TruChoke.  They are harder to find in the local shops, but the taps expensive and so he only does the one style.  TruChokes are designed for thinner barrels.  That's why he chose that style.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 01:14:07 AM »
Nice shorty/coach gun  :)

Offline fernie

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 03:30:52 AM »

Topper,

Nice job!  I've done some over the years and they certainly have their place.  But they're like Oreo's...can't stop with one!  Now I find myself eyeing friend's derelict guns with greedy eyes!!!

Doc

Offline Froghunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
  • Contributor
  • .38 Special and .357 S&W Magnum Stuff
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008, 04:09:42 AM »
Doc,

We need help! For I'm the same way!

Froghunter

"Think Positive and Positive Things Will Happen"

"There's Only One Bore Size and That is .357....That's MHO"

Froghunter

Offline Topper

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 04:36:35 AM »
I know my problem… stop reading posts by Cookiemann, MSP Ret and a few others.  I pick up too many ideas.

Someone needs to start a H&R 12 step program.

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2008, 04:49:23 AM »

Someone needs to start a H&R 12 step program.

Oh, didn't anyone tell you...the "Sweet 16"  you just finished is STEP 1. ;D
Only 11 more to go.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2008, 05:31:28 AM »
 and another one bites the dust/joins the group ------ ;D ;D ;D... welcome to our family of handiholics. I just sent off parts to become a .45 ACP Handi, I hope to have it back in a couple of months....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley