Author Topic: Charges and projectiles  (Read 1806 times)

Offline phalanx

• Trade Count: (0)
Charges and projectiles
« on: January 04, 2008, 07:35:41 PM »
This is just the way i do it ,taught by a good fellow named Gun smoke.
Most of your charges are better if they are in foil. Find a PVC collar about the size of your bore.
Cut a piece of foil to fit into the collar, shoving it in with a wooden dowel or hammer handle.
Steal the wife's measuring cups and find one that is one ounce.
Remember BP is measured by volume not weight.
Get your Cannon powder, and measure it out to one ounce per inch of bore ,this does not have to be exact ,just accurate.
Pour it into the foil until you get your charge,then fold it over sealing it,mark on it the size of the charge with a sharpie.
Store in an old ammo can, they work well for this.
Projectiles. several people out there make molds ,casting molds. I like mine 1/32 less than the cannon bore,in this i am talking smooth bore which i prefer,and they will cut them to that amount.
Casting: I use wheel weights,a large melting pot is needed,a propane heater ,and a 5 gal.bucket of water with an old towel in the bottom filled with water.
Heat your mold up on the propane heater,melt your lead,and the object is keep the mold hot.pour the lead into the mold ,wait a second,then open the mold into the bucket allowing the ball to fall out into the water.
You will get it down ,then you know just what to do,and you have a perfect ball.
Some guys are now using cement,this works fine but you have got to let the Cement cure. so you get one ball a day.
Some use cans,i use cans for reasons i will not go into,they work much better for that.
Upon loading you slide the foil packet into the bore seating it,then take your ball and i wrap it in an industrial paper towel,really.
Slide it in and packing isn't necessary ,just seat it,and you are good to go,the towel seems to improve accuracy.
Use a brass vent pick,Pierce the foil,and use your Fuse or friction primer.
I know some have already gone over this, but i got a PM asking me to post it. it is just the way i do it.
In this time i Command ,That you take the Secular to Jerusalem .
There you rid the Holy City of the Scourge of Islam , Make the streets run red with the Blood of those who wish to wash Israel and Christianity from the face of the Earth.
Constantine III

Offline phalanx

Re: Charges and projectiles
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 07:57:17 PM »
 Why do i feel like i am preaching at the Quire ? You guys know all of this, I am sure this has been gone over before.
I feel stupid telling all of you this,you know this. PM Email guy ,there i told em. What am i going to tell or show these guys things they don't know? I will just show my guns, like they all do and that is that.
There you rid the Holy City of the Scourge of Islam , Make the streets run red with the Blood of those who wish to wash Israel and Christianity from the face of the Earth.
Constantine III

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 10:37:07 PM »
You aren't preaching to the choir...okay maybe you are, but they need it every once in a while.  So I will preach to them a bit also.

This is just the way i do it ,taught by a good fellow named Gun smoke.

It appears you had a good conservative tutor who practiced good technique and safe procedure. Consider your self lucky to know such a person. Most people come to cannon shooting and try to apply muzzleloading small arms techniques and don't get the guidance you got.

For those who aren't as fortunate as you to have a good mentor they would do well to acquire a copy of THE MORE COMPLETE CANNONEER  By M.C. Switlik with selected excerpts from other artillery manuals.  Good safe cannon shooting information can be found in this book!  The book can be ordered from these two suppliers.

The Complete Cannoneer from Matt Switlik
and
South Bend Replica

Most of your charges are better if they are in foil. Find a PVC collar about the size of your bore.
Cut a piece of foil to fit into the collar, shoving it in with a wooden dowel or hammer handle.
Steal the wife's measuring cups and find one that is one ounce.
Remember BP is measured by volume not weight.
Get your Cannon powder, and measure it out to one ounce per inch of bore ,this does not have to be exact ,just accurate.
Pour it into the foil until you get your charge,then fold it over sealing it,mark on it the size of the charge with a sharpie.
Store in an old ammo can, they work well for this.

Couple of things.  I am going to assume a far greater experience here than you on this subject.  Marriage--41 years....never ever ever, borrow or steal any of the wife's tools.  If you have any semblance of common sense, her measuring devices and cook stove (her toy's) are off limits.  This has nothing to do with cannon shooting. It's a basic marital survival technique...so buy your own tools. Don't even ask me how I know!!!

Weighing/measuring powder charges.  You are partiality correct.  To start you should weigh the charge on a scale and then set your volume measure to hold that volume of powder. Never rely on the markings of powder measure.  For my 1 inch gun I have a 50 BMG case cut down to hold my charge.  I determined the correct weight charge for my gun and poured that weight of Cannon grade in the case then cut the case down.   One thing that should be avoided is using a small powder measure and throwing multiple charges to get your charge.  Doing this, your charge will settle and compress.  The volume will weigh differently every time.  You want a measure that will throw the correct charge in one throw.

Couple years ago, The Artilleryman gave us permission to post a copy of their article on making cartridges.  It's right here. Making Cannon Cartridges

As I said your loads are very conservative.  That's good and safe, especially since you are using heavy lead projectiles that will raise pressures.

Both N-SSA and AAA allow larger max charges and they are conservative.    Safe Loads and Cannon plans  .  But always remember those are maximum loads.  By limiting yourself to 1 oz per inch you built in an additional safety cushion.  I sure you noted Matt Switlik load recommendation in his book to start ridiculously low.  You prove the worthiness of that statement with your success. 

Projectiles. several people out there make molds ,casting molds. I like mine 1/32 less than the cannon bore,in this i am talking smooth bore which i prefer,and they will cut them to that amount.
Casting: I use wheel weights,a large melting pot is needed,a propane heater ,and a 5 gal.bucket of water with an old towel in the bottom filled with water.
Heat your mold up on the propane heater,melt your lead,and the object is keep the mold hot.pour the lead into the mold ,wait a second,then open the mold into the bucket allowing the ball to fall out into the water.
You will get it down ,then you know just what to do,and you have a perfect ball.
Some guys are now using cement,this works fine but you have got to let the Cement cure. so you get one ball a day.
Some use cans,i use cans for reasons i will not go into,they work much better for that.

Well the rule of thumb for windage is 1/40 of bore diameter. It's a rule of thumb, not a law and can be worked with.  I am relieved to see you are using a low powder charge of Cannon grade with tight lead balls and patches.  That helps to keep the pressure down.  Again you will find Switlik saying avoid lead and patches in cannons.  They are recipes for increasing pressure.  It always desirable to try and duplicate the weight of the original projectiles. 

Your 3 Inch Ordnance rifle of course used shell and bolt and not round ball. But I do understand using Round ball as an expedient.  I dearly would love to see some one post on making bolts or shells.   A 3 inch WW lead ball should weigh around 5.6 pounds. This   is lighter than the original. George's Spherical Shot Weight Calculator  A 3 inch Iron ball would weigh 3.6 lbs and one of zinc would go 3.4 lbs. Have you considered casting you ball of zinc?

For your Napoleon, Zinc balls would be great.  The original Napoleon’s were 12 PD or 4.62 bore and shot a ball 4.52 in.  That is almost exactly 1/40 windage.  Your 3.5 inch bore gun using  1/40 windage(3.5/40 x 39=3.4125) should use 3.4 inch ball that weighs 8.23 lbs in WW, or 5.3 lbs in iron or 5.0 in zinc. Using the lighter ball of the correct diameter on a wooden sabot should give you good accuracy with less equipment stress from recoil due to the higher pressure.

Upon loading you slide the foil packet into the bore seating it,then take your ball and i wrap it in an industrial paper towel,really.
Slide it in and packing isn't necessary ,just seat it,and you are good to go,the towel seems to improve accuracy.
Use a brass vent pick,Pierce the foil,and use your Fuse or friction primer.
I know some have already gone over this, but i got a PM asking me to post it. it is just the way i do it.

Instead of patching the ball have you tried a sabot? It would do wonders to reducing pressure and lessening the chances of a hang up.  Several fellows here have posted on this subject.  I think Evil Dog wrote a series of post showing how to make them.  They are high on my list of projects when I get home this spring.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 01:31:33 AM »
Excellent discussion.  I'll not elaborate on any of the points, but simply add a note from my perspective.

One can 'get away with' practices for quite some time until the critical line is crossed.  At that moment your life changes.

For this reason I/we tend to look to the practices established by many years of experience with bunches of folks and public scrutiny - as mentioned of note N-SSA, AAA and Switlick's books.

I am one of the folks here that has seen, up close and personally, a cannon explode.  There were 5 of us, most fortunately, standing 10 to 15' BEHIND it.  When we lit the fuse we thought, as a hundred times before that it was a cannon; it was a bomb that time. 

Some things we do because it has worked before - perhaps many times;  let me 'suggest' that we learn from the folks that have established general rules of thumb that work for many many people and have done so for many many years.

That's not to say that I haven't done the occasional stupid thing from time to time over the course of my lifetime; but exposure of our practices to public scrutiny is a very healty review - at least it has been for me.

Henry Ford is oft quoted as having said, "failure is merely the starting point to begin again intelligently."

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 05:14:16 AM »
I would like to add this, If you own more than one artillery piece, keep a log book for each one, keep loading data, the dates, charges & # of rounds fired, look to this log when loading for that gun, keep ammo box's named for that gun so they don't get mixed up, when loading charges also date them on the foil.  there will be less chance of an issue or an accident if running more than one gun on the same day!
 Also this is a special case....... I know some one who does demonstrations and reenactments with a registered WW I Krupp field gun, he had in his caisson one tray with special loads for night firing, they contained steel wool , he thinks they look more impressive, the thing is he grabbed this tray at a reenactment on a dry day and set the field on fire.
it was put out with no problem, but if you insist on having special loadings color code the box's so there is no confusion. (steel wool...I am not recommending or condoning this practice.just stating an observation)
keeping a log book also helps if God forbid there is ever an accident, it may save you some grief if investigators have it to go by, for it shows how the gun was being used and charges used.
you may even wish to include powder make and lot number for each loading depending on how technical you want to get.
The log book also helps as we don't do this every day, it a hobby, so referring to the log is better than relying on memory of what we did a month or 6 months ago.
Allen <><
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline phalanx

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 07:10:14 AM »
DD,you are right on target about measuring and weighing out the charge . You caught me in one of my short cuts i was using because i knew the charge was light. DD is correct , And just because i have done it awhile still doesn't mean i cant mess up.
Yes the 1861 uses bolts ,i buy them off the web from Stevenson Mach. out of Nevada. Sure i could boost the charges i am using ,I know that ,but a lot of times i just want to enjoy shooting the guns and not stress things. Cat ,the cannon i saw explode was a bronze tube ,it had been shot lots of times .
It didn't fragment but swelled to the point it ripped down the side ,tearing itself away from the trunnion caps. No one was hurt ,but it wasn't a good day.
DD you have the weight of the balls correct , and i have used sabots . around here the oil field uses things called pigs in high pressure gas lines ,they are plentiful and work well for this.
Zinc ? i have never tried that ,i had a friend who made balls out of Aluminum , but they were very inaccurate.
He made me some bolts once similar to the ones Sea Coast was showing,but they were labor intensive for him to turn out.
A lot of people think i am cheap on my charges ,and on the range some guy always tells you to hot it up ,if he wants hot go buy his own gun.
I don't use fuse much anymore, I like the friction igniter's ,and get them by the 100 count from LTD.
I really like that set up Dom Carpenter is using on his guns ,I have seen those at the Dixie web page ,but i never have used one.
Can someone who has used one of these hammer, nipple set ups tell me which is the best to get ?  The 22 blank ,percussion cap,
or the shot gun primers.
Constantine III

Offline Double D

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 07:43:50 AM »
Tell us more about the pigs?  Got pictures?

Offline phalanx

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 08:32:05 AM »
I will get some and mail them to kabar . The pigs are flat plates used for separating different fluids going down a pipeline together,or stacked up and sent to push out crud ,or clean the line. They are made out of almost a bakeolight material ,differant diameters and thickness depending what is needed. They can be stacked ,glued together ,what ever you want .Then i would just tape the ball onto them. They shatter when they reach the end of the bore . others i have used are some made of nylon ,eather a pig ,or the valve disk from a triplex pump .These are a heavy material ,all diameters ,and are usually 3/8ths to 1/2 thick. In a pump they are a wearable item and a pump shop is more than happy to have you haul them off. Of course these head downrange with your ball,but being light they only make it about 20 yards ,pick them up and use them again ;D No risk of fire ,and they are good for about 3 shots .Pick up the balls ,remelt them also.
With the Napoleon we used this ,and destroyed a Dell computer 300 yards away. AAHHH that was fun ,how many times have you wanted to do that to your computer ?
Plywood works well ,cut them out with a hole saw then glue them  together.
Constantine III

Offline Double D

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 04:34:01 PM »
Now there is an idea I will have to look into. 

An advantage to Zinc ball is unless you shoot them into a rock pile, you can pick them up and shoot them again if they still run through your guage.  Save teh cost of remelting and recasting.

Offline phalanx

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 05:33:23 PM »
DD do you cast a Zinc ball? and will a lead melting pot do it ?
Constantine III

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 06:01:20 PM »
... will a lead melting pot do it?

Most electric lead melters will not effectively melt zinc.  In any event, melting zinc in them contaminates them such that they should no longer be used to melt lead for bullets.  A propane burner and cast iron pot (and good ventilation) are more effective.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008, 06:15:47 PM »
Here's my first attempt at zinc melting and my mould.

There is only one thing different casting zinc over lead.  More heat.     

I  have a project when I get home -- to build a dedicated zinc melter.   Just for those who feel a need I have found a mould for 1.68 inch ball...anybody interested in 1.68 inch diameter ball?  Start saving zinc wheel weights.   Lets see.  How's this sound. You send me your zinc. I cast  you 1.68 ball.  I keep one ball and send you one ball.  You pay freight both ways. 

Offline phalanx

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 07:28:51 PM »
Zinc wheel weights ,i have never heard of that. I was about to ask you where in the world do you get Zinc.
Allen i am still up ,digging through these books so i don't screw up and post something from a reporter that lived in the 1800s and most likely went on to write western novels. It was nice to know what was on those ships though.
DD i can tell you Aluminum is not a good choice ,the balls fly all over the place.
I have seen guys use cement though , it worked well but i wondered if it was scratching up the bores.
Babbitt is another choice ,it is half the weight of lead ,and mostly tin ,and it is cheap.
PVC rotary balls would be great ,but i have only seen them in 1, 1/2 in.
Tell me what size bore you have and i will send you some pigs ,and some pump valve disk.
The disk work best for me ,but you experiment and tell me what you think.
How thick does a sabot need to be ? I only used a couple of 1/2 in. Disk.
Constantine III

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2008, 08:03:22 PM »
I would like to add this, If you own more than one artillery piece, keep a log book for each one, keep loading data, the dates, charges & # of rounds fired, look to this log when loading for that gun, keep ammo box's named for that gun so they don't get mixed up, when loading charges also date them on the foil.  there will be less chance of an issue or an accident if running more than one gun on the same day!
 Also this is a special case....... I know some one who does demonstrations and reenactments with a registered WW I Krupp field gun, he had in his caisson one tray with special loads for night firing, they contained steel wool , he thinks they look more impressive, the thing is he grabbed this tray at a reenactment on a dry day and set the field on fire.
it was put out with no problem, but if you insist on having special loadings color code the box's so there is no confusion. (steel wool...I am not recommending or condoning this practice.just stating an observation)
keeping a log book also helps if God forbid there is ever an accident, it may save you some grief if investigators have it to go by, for it shows how the gun was being used and charges used.
you may even wish to include powder make and lot number for each loading depending on how technical you want to get.
The log book also helps as we don't do this every day, it a hobby, so referring to the log is better than relying on memory of what we did a month or 6 months ago.
Allen <><

A log book and identifying pre-made charges is a good idea KABAR. Most of us probably do this when reloading centerfire stuff, but I wonder how many do it with their cannons? I don't do much documentation myself.

Cannon loads are not nearly as critical as smokeless cartridges, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to do some documentation - Even if only to show law enforcement (or a jury) that you were not just "shooting by the seat of your pants" in the event that you have to answer for an accident some day.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Double D

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2008, 08:42:37 PM »
Zinc wheel weights ,i have never heard of that. I was about to ask you where in the world do you get Zinc.

Something to keep in mind. 

Clip on wheel weights are lead antimony.

Tape on wheel weights pare for the most part pure lead.  Separate them from the clip on.  Save them for muzzleloading and BPCR alloy bullets.

Zinc will look and feel lighter, ofter have a rivetted clip and may be marked  ZN.  If you keep your temperature down smelting  WW, Zinc weights will float to the top.  More and more  WW are zinc and to keep from contaminating your lead WW you need use a thermometer and keep temperature down during smelting.  Pull the zinc out and save them.   Don't melt them into you lead it will be contaminated.  Don't use moulds or pots used for melt zinc to melt lead, it will contaminate the lead.

My mould is for a 6 PDR.  I am also looking a getting a  2.3 PDR "popcan" ball mould. 

Other places I have found Zinc.  Ebay, sold as anodes for boats and structures that go in water, especially salt water.  I have also got zinc from bullet casters who salvage wheel weights.  Keep you ears open and you will run onto Zinc. 

Yes the 1861 uses bolts ,i buy them off the web from Stevenson Mach. out of Nevada.

I like the friction igniter's ,and get them by the 100 count from LTD.

How about supplying the contact info for these parties.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2008, 09:05:13 PM »
Phalanx will have to help you with Stevenson Machine, I couldn't find a web site,

And most should have seen this address before.

http://www.cannonltd.com/index2.html
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Double D

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2008, 11:32:11 PM »
I thought he might have meant Cannon LTD, but wasn't sure.

Offline phalanx

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2008, 10:00:04 AM »
Sorry on a site like this i just thought everyone knew what LTD meant , or SB , and on another site your sponsor is even being called SCA .
Hay man we are just Bubbas in the field ,Don't get us thinking to much. ;D
Constantine III

Offline Double D

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2008, 04:50:22 PM »
Never assume...you know about that.  When you say SB or LTD  the best thing to do is say the full name the first time and use the intials later in the post.  You keep saying other siite, say the other sites name, its not poison.  If you don't say the name we don't know what you are talking about. Don't go posting a great big fancy linked URL to some other forum like an advertisement however.  We all have other forums we visit.

Just so you know here we say GBO and GBO Cannons for the board.  You'll catch me saying M&T for the Seacoast Guys. 

Offline phalanx

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2008, 05:02:23 PM »
I can see how it may be confusing.
Some of the other sites ,including some Cannon sites ,use language that would not be tolerated here.
Some very Knowledgeable people post on these sites ,and you can learn a great deal.
But perhaps it isn't proper of me to quote from something someone said on them ,if a member here goes there and becomes offended.
So i will leave them out of any further discussion.
Also some of them dealing with Black Powder post things i wouldn't want someone here picking up on , Things i would not even want to try.
Constantine III

Offline phalanx

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2008, 05:14:36 PM »
The History channel had a good one tonight ,History Channel east ,on the Alamo.
The Texans defending the Mission used a form of Chain shot to repel the Army of Santa Anna.
A tactic used at the time by Pirates to disable rigging ,and render a ship useless.
The damage to the crew,was horrific.
Most Navy's and Army's thought it Barbaric and it wasn't used except by those who would forgo surrender.
In seeing this ,Santa Anna became out raged,and said anyone left in the Mission would not be granted any mercy.
The Special then went on to tell the Cannon used on both sides.
Then it went on to say ,this tactic wasn't seen in wide scale again by any Army or Navy as a mutual agreement ,until the assault on Fort Wagner N.C. During the Civil War,Being a Southern fort .it was used against advancing union infantry.
This Fort never Fell.
It sounds like some nasty stuff ,i guess WW1 made this look Tame.
Constantine III

Offline Double D

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2008, 05:46:26 PM »
I can see how it may be confusing.
Some of the other sites ,including some Cannon sites ,use language that would not be tolerated here.
Some very Knowledgeable people post on these sites ,and you can learn a great deal.
But perhaps it isn't proper of me to quote from something someone said on them ,if a member here goes there and becomes offended.
So i will leave them out of any further discussion.
Also some of them dealing with Black Powder post things i wouldn't want someone here picking up on , Things i would not even want to try.

Every site has it's personality. Civility is part of this one. ( We have had our issues)  But I am sure most people here have their "other sites" they visit and understand the difference, one site to another.

Just to maintain a focus and to avoid some legal issues we have become aware off over the years we limit our focus to pre 1899 antiques.  That doesn't mean we don't have interests out side that scope. 

We all have our personal criteria for visiting a site.  If we are put off by the language and constant food fight of some boards we will stay away.  If I can learn from a site I might tolerate the language. I have found a couple of sites where the bad language would be a blessing, the academics can make a site unbearable without using bad language.   

So If you know of some other sites, discussing cannons say them.  We, each of personally will have to make the decision on whether the language is too bad or a distraction.  You can give a warning say something that the language is "rough" over on www.badmouthcannons.com .   But share the knowledge and let us make our own decision.

Offline phalanx

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2008, 06:21:01 PM »
DD that was funny ,Badmouthcannons ? you can Loosen up a little huh. i know some Pirate Wanna Bees that would love a site like that. or ,i be a taken yer Bootie .com . Anyway ,did you see my post on what the History Channel said ? That sounded really bad.
Constantine III

Offline Double D

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2008, 10:53:12 PM »
Yep saw your history post.

Unfortunatley I won't see that particular episode for a while.  I get the UK version of History Channel.

We do have our History Channel Actor here and he has provided me with some photo's from his work.

Here is bar shot.

Impact point on a car

Can you see the bar shot?

How about now?

How about Car-V-24PDR

Car loses.

Barrel full of red water

One problem with typing messages on these board.. we can't see smirks and grins or hear  snickers, sniggers or guffaws.

Something I should have did before putting  up that www.badmouthcannons.com link was check to see if the was a valid URL---you guys would have really piled on  me if had led to a porn site.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2008, 12:16:49 AM »
Bummer!

I was going to put that link ( www.badmouthcannons.com ) into the REFERENCES sticky! 

It's still a dead URL !

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2008, 12:20:24 AM »
Double D,

That link says server not found, I also tried doing a search and  came up empty.

Offline Double D

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2008, 02:51:51 AM »
Ah yes this is good because I made it up in my head.

Offline phalanx

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2008, 05:27:27 AM »
I was afraid to try , .org ,or  .net.   Years ago there was a site called  ,cannonbore .com ,but i havent seen it in years.
It was a forum ,but it never got much of a following.
Constantine III

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2008, 07:19:38 AM »
In the photo of the water barrels the little black dots are tennis balls.  Some were still coming down after all the water hit the ground.  Too bad all of the footage didn't make it to the program, especially the high speed material.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline Blaster

• A Real Regular
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2008, 02:13:34 PM »
Just curious phalanx, you indicated one ounce of cannon powder per inch of bore but no distinction of whether this load will apply to blanks/salutes AND projectile loads?  For years, I have gone by the "recommended" charge as listed in the South Bend Replicas, Inc, catalog.  In that catalog they list various charges for the various size bores,  and recommend the cutting of those charges in half when shooting projectiles.  Maybe I'm missing something in my old age.
Graduate of West Point (West Point, Iowa that is)