Author Topic: Vortex Optics  (Read 714 times)

Offline CzaRon

• Trade Count: (0)
Vortex Optics
« on: January 05, 2008, 05:12:13 AM »
Looking for a new scope for my Ruger #1 .300WinMag. Been looking at several different models on line and was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Vortex products. Would especially like to know where they are manufactured. Don't have much confidence in Chinese products.

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
Re: Vortex Optics
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 01:29:08 PM »
I am not sure about their scopes, as I haven't seen any up close yet. But they make some good Bino's. Good glass.

-Aaron

Offline Willie496

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 05:21:56 PM »
I am not sure where they are  manufactured. I have been trying to find out who makes Cabela's scopes and have not had any luck..
Willie.

Offline flyboy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 05:03:51 AM »
Vortex is likely made in the same factories that makes many of the other brands of binocular.

My family got me a set of 10X40s for Christmas.  Beautiful, tack sharp, and light weight.  I used them, but  they caused headaches after only a short time, and there was too much image movement, due to my unsteadiness.   

I returned them to the local rep., who ordered another pair, which Vortex didn't have in stock.   They then offered me a binocular, which is at least two quaity levels above the one I was gifted with, and much more expen$ive that the 8X Nikon Monarchs I have been coveting,  for the "inconvenience", and, at the same price!  As soon as I get them, I intend to give them a work out, but, I would say that I will probably not be disappointed.

They are a relatively new company in the optics market, and they are having to establish themselves in a very aggressive and competitive field. Their products that I have seen and used seem to be of good quaity, and well made.    The quality and service will have to match or exceed the competition's, at least for the foreseeable future, if they want to prosper. And that is good for the consumer.   :)

Offline Catfish

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 08:33:05 AM »
Why would you spend the money on a Ruger #1 and then even think of putting a Chinese scope on it.  ??? ??? Put a Leupold on it. I would have alot more confidence in an NEF with a Leupold scope than a Ruger #1 with a junk scope.

Offline CzaRon

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 09:01:58 AM »
Catfish, right now Leupold is a bit beyond my means and their Rifleman line is unimpressive in my opinion. What I'd really like to put on my #1 is a Ziess or Swarovski but that's not in my future either, and I'm trying to avoid Chinese made products of any nature. Right now I'd like to find something in the$200 price range and what look like some good deals are available on a lot of "better" quality scopes if you take time to seach for them. Vortex just looked interesting and I would like to get some first hand experiences with them. By the way, when I bought my #1 I only paid $335 (mid 1980's)and that was a special order by the dealer, so I don't see it as the now $1000+ rifle that it is today, but that's just me. Thanks for your input.

Offline EsoxLucius

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 09:15:51 AM »
Looking for a new scope for my Ruger #1 .300WinMag. Been looking at several different models on line and was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Vortex products. Would especially like to know where they are manufactured. Don't have much confidence in Chinese products.
Why don't you call them and ask them?  (800) 426-0048 They are great people and I'm sure will disclose where each model is manufactured. Vortex Optics are a great value, but I do believe some of their models are manufactured in China, to their specifications and under their supervision.
We learn something new everyday whether we want to or not.