Author Topic: What Happened to IBHA/Blackpowder Hunting Magazine???  (Read 1611 times)

Offline BDINPGH

• Trade Count: (0)
What Happened to IBHA/Blackpowder Hunting Magazine???
« on: January 06, 2008, 05:39:57 AM »
Hi Everyone - I recently wanted to start receiving the magazine "Blackpowder Huning", a publication of the International Blackpowder Hunting Association.  I Had been a subscriber for years and then let my subscription lapse in 2006.

When I tried to navigate to their website, I can no longer find it.  Searches for "IBHA"  "Blackpowder Hunting Magazine" and " International Blackpowder Hunting Association" don't return anything relevant.

Do any of you know what happened to this magazine, whether it is still published, and whether IBHA is still in existence????

Thanks.

BDINPGH ???

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: What Happened to IBHA/Blackpowder Hunting Magazine???
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 06:16:03 AM »
I think they went belly up, seems to me I got a note saying they were no longer publishing when my subscription ended. Here's their address and phone number.

Tim

International Blackpowder Hunting Association
P.O. Box 1180
Glenrock, WY 82637

(307) 436-9817

www.blackpowderhunting.org
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Idaho Ron

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 03:45:30 PM »
That one is done, and it is too bad I enjoyed the magazine.  Someone from the magazine saw my buck from last year and asked me to write a story. I did and sent it to them. I never heard back from them.  Ron

Offline captchee

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 10:33:11 AM »
 i seem to recall that Toby bridges was going to pick this up  and do an online read .
 but frankly i dont follow any more of his info then i have to so i cant tell you if he ever did or not

Offline Idaho Ron

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 12:06:46 PM »
I don't care for Toby, I won't read his stuff.  Ron

Offline slayer

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 04:27:55 PM »
Oh man that stinks!! I was about 1 year into my 3 year re-up on my subscription. That was a great organization. I wonder what happened? No Tony Bridges for me either.

Jack

Offline BDINPGH

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 05:34:33 PM »
Thanks for the responses.  I will miss that Magazine.  It was pretty decent. :'(

Offline simonkenton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 08:27:28 AM »
That is sad to hear. I subscribed to that magazine for 3 years and I really enjoyed it.
I join in the non Toby club, am not interested in what he has to say. I would tell you why but the subject is censored on this forum.
Aim small don't miss.

Offline Gemsbok

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 06:28:14 AM »
I suppose this is where it has lead to.

http://www.hpmuzzleloading.com/

Offline Lawful Larry

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 01:46:09 PM »
The guys writting for this mag seem to think that all ML are in the primitive category.  Not even close.  If they truely want a primitive season then go with a patched round ball in either a flint or cap lock gun.  Now that would be a true primitive season, along with primitive bows (not the high tech things they hunt with today).

I agree with a lot on the problems in Montana.  The beareaunazis are a difficult bunch.  Sometimes I think they go out of their way to find the biggest morons they can to run those offices. 

I noticed one of the people working for this new rag is this Toby dude.  I keep hearing negative comments about this guy, who is he? 
Just another voice in the crowd!!!

Offline kevthebassman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 02:18:39 PM »
He's a clown who used an inadequate caliber for the game he was hunting once and then declared the patched round ball an inadequate projectile.  He's one of those who use ft/lbs of energy (or "knockdown power" as he calls it) as the sole indicator of a projectile's killing power.

Here's a fine example of his BS:

My load consisted of 110-grains of FFFg GOEX black powder and a tightly patched 180-grain .495" soft lead ball.

For the first time, I had actually chronographed a load, and found that the 32-inch barrel produced 2,071 f.p.s., generating 1,712 f.p.e.  It was the hottest round ball load I had shot up to then, and I felt that if I could get within 100 yards of an elk, I'd have no problem harvesting game that could top 800 pounds.

On the third day of that hunt, while hunting just above timberline, I spotted the tips of a bull's rack sticking above the waist high brush of a small pocket of heavy growth.  Keeping the wind in my face, I inched up to the edge of the cover and saw the bull was bedded. But almost as soon as I looked into the pocket, the bull spotted me and jumped to it's feet - offering a perfect broadside shot at just 60 or so yards.  My shot was good, and as the elk ran up out of the pocket, I could see the hit, which looked as if it should have centered both lungs.   

I watched in disbelief as the elk ran nearly a mile across the open, rocky ground to another larger pocket of heavy cover.  I could see every exit out of that heavy growth, and after 30 minutes, the bull had not left that cover.  I wiped the bore and reloaded.  More than 30 minutes later, I was once again crawling up on the same bull, standing back in the heaviest brush.  From just 40 yards, I hit the elk again, in nearly the same spot.  And once again, the bull took off at a dead run - to disappear into the dark timber a half-mile below.

This time, the elk had stumbled a few times, so I quickly reloaded and went right to where I had last seen the 5x5 bull.  Immediately, I spotted the elk standing back in the stunted tree growth, just 40 or so yards away.  I crawled another five or six yards closer, until I could see the elk's entire chest cavity.  As I sighted in again, I could see the holes of both my earlier hits. The two shots had impacted less than 3 inches apart, and were as perfectly placed lung shots as anyone could make.  This time, I held a little lower and little closer to the rear of the leg.  At the shot, the bull headed down into a deep valley, where I heard him crash.  I knew it was over.

While skinning and dressing out that bull, I found that both of my first two shots had penetrated into the left lung...but had not had the power to reach the right lung. My last shot had caught the top of the heart and the bottom of both lungs.  Had I not actually had the opportunity to visually watch that bull run to different cover each time, I doubt seriously if I would have recovered that elk.  And it was right then I began to question the effectiveness of the round ball as a big game hunting projectile - especially for game as large as elk.  I never again headed West on a muzzleloading big game hunt on which I used the patched round ball.
(Bolded by me for emphasis)

http://www.hpmuzzleloading.com/TraditionalHPML2.html

As you can see, even though he was a fool and used not enough gun for the job, the first shot still caught lung.  After the elk ran a mile and laid down for an hour, it still had the fight in it to run another half mile after being lungshot shot again, then run again when it was shot a third time.  If that story sounds plausible to you, I've got a bridge for sale in New York that I'd like you to see.

Offline captchee

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 11:44:27 AM »
 you know the real funny part about his story is that  many of us that have hunted elk all our lives " not just some  pay to play  once "
 can relate stories of them doing the very same thing with 300 H&H or weatherby's . even magnum centerfires .
 elk are tuff thats all there is to it . but i dont think you will read him prining any of those guns are inadequate calibers LOL

Offline kevthebassman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 02:24:31 PM »
On Sunday, I had a chance to run my .54 flintlock over a chronograph.  The .530 ball averaged 1820 fps. This speed at the muzzle puts the .530 ball on track to be doing 1300 fps (840 Ft/lbs) at 50 yards, and 1030 fps (530 ft/lbs) at 100 yards according to a roundball ballistics program I downloaded. For those curious, the 100 yard energy of the roundball is better than a full power .357 Magnum (1145 fps 524 ft/lbs with 8 inch barrel) at the muzzle.  At 100 yards, the .530 roundball is the ballistic twin of a 240 grain .44 magnum from a 4 inch barrel.

So much for the myth of the ineffective roundball.

Offline Gemsbok

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 02:54:05 AM »
I've only elk hunted a couple times and of course went home with an unfilled tag both times, but I'm wondering if 530 ft. lb's is enough at 100 yds on an elk.  I'm not a round ball shooter, what is the reaction of a round ball on an elk at that distance?

Offline captchee

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 06:38:11 AM »
I've only elk hunted a couple times and of course went home with an unfilled tag both times, but I'm wondering if 530 ft. lb's is enough at 100 yds on an elk.  I'm not a round ball shooter, what is the reaction of a round ball on an elk at that distance?

Well that depend on the caliber .
 Also shot placement is the key  and closer is always better .
  That being said , I have taken bull elk at  close to 100 yards with  a 50 caliber .
 With the ball place right behind the shoulder .  The  ball went through both lungs and  off side shoulder , lodging under the skin .The bull don’t go right down . But he also didn’t go more then approximately 100 yards .

But remember that’s with  what IMO is proper shot placement for the soft RB .
 Basically you  want to use the same  bullet path that you would use with an arrow
 However If you try plowing through a shoulder  to get to the H&L  at 100 yards , your still going to get to the off side . With a Hard RB you may even go all the way through.

The key to that however is to not spook them . You  get their adrenalin pumping and your going to chase for a very long ways   to the point the just cant go on any more .
 That happens I don’t care what you use.
 I have killed bulls with a 30.30 at 175 yards  and not had them go farther then 75 yards  but I have witnessed them go a better part of a mile  in some of the most god offal places  with their shoulder broken  and 1 lung from  large caliber center fires.

Again we can take lessons from archers  here . Place your shot . And let things rest for a while . If they don’t think they are being pressured , they will lay down  stiffen up , bleed out . Then the work starts .
 But if they think they are being pressured,  you can hit them again and again . They will keep moving tell no spark of life is left  and sometimes I think they can do that even when dead on their feet    

Now that all being said . I would have to say in my lifetime of hunting elk every year and filling my tag just about every year . I would have to say 95 % of my shots have been well under 75 yards  . Most in the 25 to 50 range .
At that range , with a properly placed shot , I have never had a problem not getting complete pass through with a RB  using  a charge of 80 grains in my 54 .

Offline kevthebassman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 01:32:33 PM »
But remember that’s with  what IMO is proper shot placement for the soft RB .
 Basically you  want to use the same  bullet path that you would use with an arrow
 However If you try plowing through a shoulder  to get to the H&L  at 100 yards , your still going to get to the off side . With a Hard RB you may even go all the way through.

I think that this is a very key point to remember.  Hunt your roundball gun like you would hunt a bow and arrow.  IMHO, traditional muzzleloader hunting is more akin to bowhunting than hunting with a centerfire.

I've never laid eyes on elk in the wild, so I couldn't say.  I would have a hard time believing that you couldn't lay one low if you picked your shot well.  If you haven't got the patience required to wait for an unobstructed shot to the lungs, you probably haven't got the patience required to sit behind a flinter and find the perfect patch/ball/powder/lube combination.  You're better off buying an inline where the variables are narrowed down for you.