Author Topic: MODEL 12 12GA STOCK QUESTION  (Read 808 times)

Offline cipher

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
MODEL 12 12GA STOCK QUESTION
« on: January 07, 2008, 05:05:32 PM »
Has anyone made or does anyone still make a synthetic stock to fit a Model 12?  The stock that was on the gun when my dad gave it to me is in pretty bad shape and it's been cut down at an odd angle.  I'd like to replace it with something that will be relatively maintenance free.  Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Keith L

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: MODEL 12 12GA STOCK QUESTION
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 10:09:40 AM »
I don't know.  My bet is that there isn't a lot of call for that.  I guess I wouldn't want anything but wood on a fine old shotgun like a Model 12.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline cipher

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 02:46:30 PM »
I was pretty sure no one still made a synthetic stock for the model 12 if they ever did.  The gun my dad left me was one he bought sometime before WW2.   The bore is still without defect, surprisingly, but the outside of it shows the wear and pitting you might expect on a gun that was used for duck and goose on the Chesapeake for many years.   I roused out its innards last night, cleaned them and set them back to rights and it's still perfectly functional   But, it's not blue, it's not smooth and it's not pretty.

Offline Keith L

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 03:12:19 PM »
Those are beauty marks.  Your father gave his gun character.

Check Gunstocks Inc.  http://www.gunstocksinc.com/web%20pages/Win%20Shotgun%20stocks.htm for a nice selection of replacement Model 12 Walnut stocks.  They are good people to work with and a GBO sponsor.  Follow their instructions enclosed with the stock to finish it.  Wipe it dry when you get it back home from the Bay and it will last forever.

Every Model 12 posts reminds me of my Dad's shotgun that I learned to hunt with.  Some day one will follow me home.  He sold his when I was in the service years ago.

Offline cipher

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 03:40:36 PM »
Thanks Keith.  I checked their site and Boyd's last night and that's probably the way I'll go.  I've been using the Birchwood Casey line now for some time and have been pleased with the results.

I live in Idaho now, so I won't be plugging any ducks on the Bay any time soon.  On the other hand there's not a lot of salt water to rust that shotgun here in the desert.

My dad was shooting trap with some buddies in the fifties.  The fellow operating the trap was behind a wooden backstop.  My dad shot his the clay pigeon but didn't take his finger off the trigger before he racked in the next shell.  The Winchester sprayed the backstop with shot and there was a very small gap between two of the boards.  His buddy behind the backstop ended up with a line of shot across his back and my dad never shot the gun again.

I'm thinking of putting two or three lasers, four or five flashlights and maybe a couple of bayonets on it for Homeland Defense.  What do you think? ::)

Offline Keith L

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 03:57:02 PM »
Doesn't seem period correct to me...

Offline cipher

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 04:58:59 PM »
Just one more note:  I checked at old guns .net...   It was made in 1922.  I'm not even sure they MADE flashlights then.  Guess I better stick with walnut.

Thanks for your help

Offline just bill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 04:10:27 AM »
At times you can find genuine Model 12 stocks on the gun auction sites such as G. Broker

Offline model12man

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 01:32:33 PM »
Hello, Winchester did make a plastic wood grain looking stock and a ivory looking plastic stock for the Model 12's. They were called hydro-coil stock. Fact the fore arm piece for the ivory looking one is on a listing on e-bay. I have seen the complete stock and forearm set for the hydro-coil sell well over $150.00. But they are kind of hard to find. Nice good used take off stocks are out there and you can get good deals on them Thanks, Tim