Author Topic: Using a drill press for a mill  (Read 743 times)

Offline oldandslow

• Trade Count: (0)
Using a drill press for a mill
« on: January 08, 2008, 05:37:08 AM »
I seem to remember a topic about this somewhere on here and it generated quite a bit of discussion. In the Dec.2007-Jan.2008 copy of Machinest's Workshop magazine is an article devoted to this subject. This issue also contains an article about lineboring a Ruger to .45 Colt.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Using a drill press for a mill
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 06:00:15 AM »
I use mine as a primitive mill when I can, I've seriously thought of buying a mini-mill, but so far I've been able to get by with the drill press. Machinist's Workshop has an interactive website, but parts of it don't work and they have no online articles that I could find. When you go to their "store", it's closed and they provide an 800 phone number. If you click on "Back Issues" in Features, you get a page that is a dead end. Maybe they're just shut down for the holidays, will try later, I'd like to order some of their back issues, their "Article Index" in "Features" shows the back issue topics, many that are very interesting to me.

thx,

Tim

http://www.homeshopmachinist.net/
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 02:34:24 PM »
I picked up the magazine yesterday at Hastings just to see what the guy had rigged up. I always like to see other people's ideas. Just between you and me, I would choose the minimill over his rig. I kept my big Jet milling and drilling machine and 12 x 36 Craftsman(Atlas) lathe from back when I had my own business. Pretty nice toys.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 02:39:02 PM »
I just haven't been able to justify the $600 for the mini-mill for a hobby......yet!!! ;D I almost talked myself into one for Christmas after reading the mini-mill info below, Harbor Freight had a 15% off coupon and the mill was on sale for $490, wifey even said get it, but I held off. ::)

Tim

http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_mill/Main/mini-mill.htm

http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_summary.php

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 03:02:08 PM »
You need to jump on all the deals your wife approves of. Don't walk, run before she changes her mind.

Don't forget, the cost of the machine is the tip of the iceberg. A bunch of my endmills are worn out and the good ones are expensive.

I'm glad I bought this stuff when I had a business and it paid for it's self. I couldn't afford it now that I'm retired.

Offline panhandle

• Avid Poster
    • panhandlepr@vierizion.net
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 04:18:37 AM »
One thing that I would like to add to this thread.  Spent most of my working life in the tool shop and machine shops.  The bearings on a drill press are made for top load stress and not side stress and the single spindle milling machine has bearing that are designed for side load as that's where the cutting pressure is.  It would be fairly easy to ruin a good drill press using it to function as a mill.  I personally wouldn't feel very safe using a drill press in this manner.  But, this is just me.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 05:21:30 AM »
While that's very possible ultimately, I've been using mine for light hobby work and gunsmithing for 10yrs, paid $70 for it, the bearings are still tight, no lateral movement at all. I figure I got my money's worth long ago, if it breaks, I'll just buy another and will still be money ahead for my purposes compared to buying an actual mill or drill/mill machine. ;)

Tim