Author Topic: What's so great about the .357?  (Read 2797 times)

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
What's so great about the .357?
« on: January 10, 2008, 12:03:13 AM »
Well, I'm considering getting another barrel, and I'm leaning toward getting either a .357 or .223.

It will be used as a walk around gun/plinker, and I'm looking for one that has pretty easy to get ammo, and not all that expensive to shoot.

Don't want a .22 or .17 since there is a pretty good chance of encountering feral hogs.

I'm not locked in to just those calibers, but I'm intrigued by the .357 because of the low recoil, and other options such as the .38.

Just curious about the .357 mainly as to the pros and cons.

Anyone with experience with the cartridge, just let ur rip!
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
Re: What's so great about the .357?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 02:19:53 AM »

Jimbo47, I have a 357, It is great First thing I did was reamed it to 357 Maximnm.
 The reaming improved the accurce a bunch, even with 38 and 357 mag ammo.
 Take care Marv.

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 03:00:01 AM »
Well for one it is very efficient.Loaded ammo is readily available,in weights from 110grain to 180grain.You can, of course shoot 38 Special in it, and if you reload it can be very inexpensive.At the top of the loadings it comes very close, or exceeds the original 30-30 load, with less recoil and noise.  just my2c   Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline eskimo36

• Trade Count: (156)
    • Adventure Rider
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 03:13:57 AM »
If you don't reload or even if you do, commercial reloads will let you shoot more and availability is great. 38 specials are cheap and 357 mags are potent.  Great choice in my book.
"one shot is usually enough"

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 03:44:50 AM »
IMHO there is nothing great about the .357 and that is what's great about it. It doesn't go over 4,000 fps, barely half that. It doesn't throw 500 grains of lead, 200 is about as heavy as I'd go. It isn't a .17 nor a .50. It doesn't shoot flat to 500 yards, barely flat enough for 150. It won't decorate the landscape with pieces of the game shot. What it is, is about the lightest kicking rifle that can be considered reliable on deer within iron sight range. With .38 specials it will take small game reliably without ruining edible meat, and is the cheapest centerfire round to shoot either factory or handloads. You can load the .357 for very little more than the .38 special, making the .357 about the second cheapest. In something like a T/C Contender carbine it can weigh less than five pounds and still not hammer the shooter. There really is nothing great about the .357 and to me, that is just great. ;D
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline WILD_WEASEL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 04:14:58 AM »
My Buffalo Carbine frame is back at the factory as we speak getting fitted with a 357mag barrel and a 12ga.  My primary motivation for getting it was to have something other than 22 Long Rife to shoot at the indoor range near my home, Southern California here so visiting an outdoor range is not practical.  I've been developing loads while I wait using my Ruger GP-100 4".  So far the following loads look promising.  For the indoor range; 158gr LSWC, CCI500 primer, 6gr Unique, W-W brass 357 mag case When I make it to an outdoor range; 158gr Speer UCSP, CCI550 primer, 14.5gr 2400, W-W brass case and 158gr Speer UCSP, CCI550 primer, 15.5gr H110, W-W brass case.  All these loads can be found in the Speer #14 Reloading Manual.  While heavier bullets are available the 158gr soft points are probalbly the choice for doul purpose revolver/ rifle loads.  2400 may be the best powder for dual purpose loads while H110 may give the best performance in longer rifle barrels.  If your brave the Speer #10 Reloading Manual has a rifle/Contender only load using their 180gr semi spitzer/flatpoint intended for the 35 Remington that looks like it would be fun to experiment with in a single shot carbine like the Handi.

Offline Awf Hand

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 07:23:16 AM »
What CoyoteJoe said  !!!

I use my Handi to practice my off-hand shooting for Schuetzen.  I have nearly 4500 rounds through it.  Doesn't heat up with repeated firing, and provides recoil similar to my "real" rifle.

The only con that I can think of is the DEEP chamber.  This doesn't make for good accuracy with lead bullets esp .38sp rounds
Just my Awf Hand comments...

Offline trail trol

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 09:58:17 AM »
versatility,,, it is the most fun center-fire rifle i own.  it is nearly silent with 2.5 of clays under a 148. i think it is quieter than walmart hv-hp bulk ammo out of a 22. when loaded hot it is a good woods range deer gun that won't break your shoulder or your budget shooting it. then there is the 357 max route which will brig it to near 35 remington levels. i am running 360 dan wesson brass in mine now without any reaming or trimming at all. and as far as accuracy, with the 148 loads anyway, it will cut clover leafs at 25 yards.

it is the go to round for me in a revolver, and being able to fire it out of the rifle makes it better.

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 11:20:46 AM »
Man, you guys are great!

This is what I was looking for, and I've seen very few reviews about the .357, but the few that I've read have been very positive with most of those being range reports.

I've got several 22's, a couple varmint caliber guns, and about five deer rifles, but I need a pistol cartridge rifle to help balance my arsenal out, and I think you guys probably convinced me that I made the right decision!

Thanks for the informative replies!
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 01:13:16 PM »
I love my .357

Cheap to shoot.
My very recoil shy 9 year old daughter has no problem shooting .38's out of it.
Very versatile - squirrels with .38's up to deer with good .357's.
No recoil.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 11:46:59 AM »
They are fun, I liked mine so much I bought another one. Its been reamed out to the max. along with my GP 100 I am well armed.
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline lrs

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2008, 06:32:39 AM »
I think some of you have had the .357 reamed out to a .35 Remington.  Is the twist rate on the .357 enough to stabilize some of the heavier bullets?
" we are screwed "

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2008, 06:46:00 AM »
I've shot 240gr FNGC cast bullets in my 35 Rem, others have shot 250gr RN cast bullets, expect  1"-1¼" 100yd groups with properly sized bullets.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline lrs

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2008, 05:48:58 AM »
Been thinking about getting the .357, and having a gunsmith rechamber this to a .35 remington.  How much do gunsmith's normally charge for something like this.
Thanks in Advance
" we are screwed "

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2008, 06:42:56 AM »
$50 t $100, since you'll be getting an extractor barrel, the conversion will just involve changing the extractor claw from 357 to 30-06.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline MISSEDSHOT

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 03:32:42 PM »
What kind of decibles, how loud, is the .357 with commercial cowboy loads?.22 long-rifle, .22 mag.???Give me some comparison please.

Offline dumgunny

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2008, 04:02:15 PM »
Feral Hog.....200 pounds of gristle with teeth and a bad attitude....

.223....maximum bullet weight about 70gr

.357 magnum.....bullet weights up to 300gr

do the math!............................. :D

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2008, 04:44:42 PM »
Comparison in decibels I couldn't accurately say, but I know for certain that you can buy .22 lr. in the sub-sonic rounds and it shoots at about l,075 ft.per. sec. which would make it just a little louder than your average high powered pellet gun, and much quieter than the 22 mag. or .38 special.

Wearing ear plugs it won't make much difference, and also if you are shooting a .22 mag. or a .357 the noise difference to bystanders or neighbors, isn't going to be that great that either would be more, or less distinguishable.

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2008, 12:17:46 AM »
Well Jimbo,

I have both the  223 bull barrel and the regular contour barreled 357 mag, Bought the 357 mag for the other half (i had a deerfield 44 mag once that was accurate as hell and very little recoil) and she loves it..Cheap to shoot (alot)Accurate ,and when you are talking about a 357 caliber softpoint hitting in the same energy band as a 223 it has the punch to seal the deal ... But like most carbines it has its limits ,I wouldnt exceed the 100 yard mark... Not that i dont think it wouldnt hit where i wanted at 150 , just that i want to do my part to not lose my game... Still havent fielded it hunting yet though ,The missus opted for the 223 on our first hunt together

The 223 is a potent little monster too ,like wise it has its limitation too..  But it impressed the crap outta me on my last hunt (with the missus) I had it sited in with the Hornady TAP 75 grain rounds (claims are that this round will put a 200 pound man on the gound with one shot, something to the effect of nervous system crashing from the rounds energy transfer) Well for the record ,It will put a 257 pound Big Pig on its back too heh ..Posted my Oklahoma hunt in the H&R Centerfire rifles area if you would like to read details about how the 223 did ,since me and the missus both took game with it, with this round ....I was very impressed !

So based on what i know and what i have seen  ..... GET BOTH hehehe  you can never have to many toys ;)
  Seriously though .. both are good little rifles to have in ones collection you have quite a bit more room to play with the 357 mag as far as it goes for reloading and reaming to the 357 max bad boy... If your wants are for a reach out and getcha rifle then the 223 might be the better choice due to its flatter shooting varmint killer nature , Just wanted to point out though that it can do a good job on bigger things to..My guide for my other halves and mines hunt told me he used his 223 survivor this last deer season in Oklahoma  ,Used the 55 grain winnie supremes and had to toss one shoulder due to damage the little round did

hope all that helps ya a bit ..  Regards

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2008, 12:22:17 AM »
get the 357, then max it. The funnest gun I own, cheap to shoot  Very little recoil
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline hellacatcher

• A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2008, 12:27:16 PM »
The Max is great for deer with the right ammo.
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2008, 02:52:15 PM »
Yep, I pretty much have decided on the .357 mag.

I've got two Handi rifles, one in .243, and the other a 7mm-08, so I'm pretty well covered for anything from deer to varmints.

Sure like the idea of a good light weight handi walk around gun, and the .357 seems to be the right choice.

I like the fact that it is a pistol caliber, and I can carry my .357 pistol and rifle with only one box of shells when I hit the brush!

Open sights, and short rifle, and just enough umph to get any type close range job done!

I like it!   

Thanks for all the input guys! ;)

Offline WILD_WEASEL

• Avid Poster
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2008, 03:23:19 PM »
I started out with a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible in 45 Colt/45ACP and bought the BC Carbine in 45 colt to go with it.  There was a problem with the hammer transfer bar and I had to send the Carbine in for repair, while it was there I had 357mag and 12ga barrels fitted.  While it was back being repaired and the barrels fitted I ordered a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible in 357mag/9mm to go with that.  Now I have one rifle that can shoot 45 colt or 38 Special/357mag and two revolvers that can handle 38Special, 357mag,45Colt, and 45ACP. 

Offline alan in ga

• Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
I found one in a local shop [357 Mag]...love it...
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2008, 06:22:23 PM »
I've owned about 5 or 7 Handi Rifles. Sent one back for extra barrels. Something about these inexpensive little rifles that keeps me ALWAYS wanting at least ONE in the house. I had been Handi'less' for about 5 years until 2 years ago when I saw a green/blond laminated stocked Handi in the local gunshop. This one has an emblem with "Limited Edition" in the side of the butt stock. When I was examining the rifle I thought about my ACCUMULATION of 38 Spl and 357 Mag ammo back at the house. Seemed like a GREAT way to USE all that ammo. I put a Leupold 2.5-8X Matt on this rifle {I like it that well~!}. It shoots great and as expected the 38 ammo is like the "CB caps" of the 35 bore.
I already have a suppressed 22LR rifle. THIS HANDI in 357 Mag seems like a candidate for a suppressor also. Not that I want to spend another $200 for another Fed Tax Stamp, but the 38 Spl ammo is mostly subsonic, and I've already considered the 250 grain RN bullet from Hornady loaded subsonic in the 357 case. Hmmm. I guess I'd have to think about the .357/358" bore difference but if loaded up gradually that may not make a lot of difference.
It does seem that I have never been able to be totally WITHOUT a Handi Rifle of some sort in the house.
Now I'm wanting to try one of the new thumbhole laminate buttstocks. Might make eye/scope alignment better??

Offline georgeld

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2008, 07:39:29 PM »
Great thread, perfect timing.

Sent a .223 action back for repairs. Got a letter yesterday from Jennifer Harding on the barrels offered for it.

Sent an e'mail to go ahead and fit:  .223, .357, and .45 Colt, do a trigger job and let me know the total.

Just came online to see if anyone had something to say about .357's.  I've got nearly a 5 gallon bucket full
of cast SWC's in 38's that both me and a girl friend burn up by the hundreds everytime we go out. She'll love
this barrel with it.

Am looking forward to this set up, but, I've got two or three actions and no barrels so these will make complete
rifle's out of them again.

George
LM: NRA, NAHC, NAFC, NWTF
"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
It's about Control, join the NRA today!!"

Offline WILD_WEASEL

• Avid Poster
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2008, 07:12:21 AM »
I've been having a great time with my 357 barrel that was just fitted to my BC Carbine.  It shoots Winchester White Box 38 Special great and heavy bullet (180gr) 357 loads even better.