Author Topic: the 357mag hunting??  (Read 1729 times)

Offline jamaldog87

• Trade Count: (0)
the 357mag hunting??
« on: January 11, 2008, 05:40:49 AM »
i have hear that the 357mag is no good for hunting deer or pigs and it 50 pound or less hunting gun? is this true? cause deer and hogs(probably bigger things too) have been kill before they had bigger mags.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline Dave in WV

Re: the 357mag hunting??
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 01:17:52 PM »
I have got one deer with my .357. IMHO the .357 is enough for deer hunting used at ranges 50 yards or less . If I used it again I would use full power loads with H110 or W296 powder and bullets of 158gr or heavier.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Wynn

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 01:31:33 PM »
Jamaldog,  you claim to shoot all yours with a 380. I guess all the hogs I shot with a .357 were just scared to death. :( :o  I better trade my Ruger for a Bersa
American by birth; Southern by the Grace of God

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 02:05:26 PM »
Yes and If you shot one with a .380 I don't know why your asking?
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline Jerry Lester

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 06:55:27 PM »
 Naw, the 357 magnum would never do for that. What I'd do is put a .177" pellet through their eye socket.

Actually, what I'd trust better on bigger deer, and them tough mean old hogs is a steel ball bearing fired from my wrist rocket slingshot. I figure if I could catch him facing away, and slip one of them steelies up his rear at about 250 fps, it'd follow the curvature of his big intestine riding along that bumpy wall causing him to quiver so hard he'd shake his vitals loose. I'm pretty sure he'd simply fall over from the shock of it.

Of course before I attempted any shot that precise, I'd have to practice up hitting gnats on the wing first. It's been a while since I did any jump shooting for gnats with my slingshot, but I'd say I'd be back in shape pretty quick if I set my mind to it.

Couldn't help it Mikey!

;D  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 05:31:09 AM »
I am still wondering why you would shoot a deer with a 380? What were you doing?
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 08:02:49 AM »
I am still wondering why you would shoot a deer with a 380? What were you doing?

i have NEVER shot a deer with a 380(i don't think it's lawful). It's just that my girlfriend got a 357mag Rossi cause she want to come hunting with me. It has a red dot on it and i don't know of any good loads for it and also what are the limits for a 6"' barrel gun like this?
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 08:39:19 AM »
Let me give you a suggestion about something depending on how old you are and how old the girl that is going hunting with you is you both probably need adults with you since you are hunting with a pistol. I suggest that you find your local laws on you as in minors to hunt with a pistol. In most states its not and if it is not in your state then no I won't suggest anything because its not legal. I suggest you go with a adult and use a rifle because shooting a pistol is a lot harder than a rifle.

Rick

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 09:53:32 AM »
Let me give you a suggestion about something depending on how old you are and how old the girl that is going hunting with you is you both probably need adults with you since you are hunting with a pistol. I suggest that you find your local laws on you as in minors to hunt with a pistol. In most states its not and if it is not in your state then no I won't suggest anything because its not legal. I suggest you go with a adult and use a rifle because shooting a pistol is a lot harder than a rifle.

she 25 and she got the gun on CHRISTmas. I mostly hunt alone with my .22LR rifle or with my 1934(yes i know the law about that) but she wants to come, you know do what i  like to do.  Well she got that 357mag and a scope base for it and a red dot scope and told me she want to squirrel hunting with me next time. She was very ant-hunting but she wants to try it once for me and i found a good place to try our hands at hogs.  Is the 158gr soft point all right for this or is  a CastCore or JHP better?

Offline The Gamemaster

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2008, 12:52:08 PM »
My dad has a Smith and Wesson .357 Magnum with a 8 inch barrel and a Simmons Stainless Steel Scope to match.  I believe that it is a 1 - 4 power scope.

We had a tree stand near the camp that was only 6 feet off the ground, in the middle of a bedding area that deer frequented often.

Dad would sit in that little tree stand - it wasn't 24 inches by 24 inches and always had a doe by lunchtime.

Dad claimed that if he had it all over to do again, he would have bought the .44 Magnum.

But my one Uncle - Sonny owned a 44 Magnum - back about 1970 - pre Dirty Harry, and he brought it to the camp and they all took turns shooting it. 
My Uncle Sonny was the one that turned my dad on to reloading his own ammo.

When you shot it, the loads he used were so hot that it kicked over his head.

My dad thought that it was just a flinch, so he loaded the gun, but didn't put one in the cylinder -chamber and when my Uncle squeezed the trigger, he automatically threw the gun over his head, the same as if it had a loaded shell and discharged.

So recoil vs. accuracy - I would take the .357 over the .44 Magnum.

Here is an article for you to read.

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ammunition/fabulous_44_mag/

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 06:19:36 AM »
I am going with the 158gr PG and 180gr cast cores cause that what we have been shooting mostly so she could get used to the gun.

i know such notables as Major Doug Wesson, who has taken elk, antelope, and even moose and grizzly bear with this round, all taken with one shot, except the antelope which took 2 shots, but then this antelope was standing at 200 yards distance..... or Sasha Siemel, who took 6 tigers with it...or Walter Sykes, who used the .357 Magnum in 1938 to take an African Wildebeest with one shot. so i guess  the .357 Magnum is  powerful enough to take deer and hogs with... Now, keep in mind that in 1935 when the .357 Magnum was introduced, it was the most powerful commercial handgun cartridge in the world. And even today it is considered as one of the (if not the) top "man-stoppers" in a handgun cartridge...and compare the weight of an average deer or hog and the weight of an average man......... However, today, with all the much more powerful handgun cartridges out there, and more being introduced every day it seems, the .357 Mag is considered "less than ideal" by many... And, to be honest, with all of the more powerful handgun cartridges out today, the .357 Magnum would not be my first choice for the above named animals, particularly past about 50 yards, but, like the grand old .30-30 Winchester cartridge, it is still out there doing the job it was designed to do when it first appeared those many years ago. In the hands of a competent hand-gunner, the .357 Magnum, loaded with the right bullet, will do the job on any deer or hog that walks.

we met at a animal shelter that i volunteer at and she liked that i loved animals.

Offline Jerry Lester

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 12:50:13 PM »
Well, looks like the copy, and paste worked... 

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 05:54:29 AM »
yesterday after my girl got of work we when out to the orange grove we are going to hunt to test out some loads. The guys been have hogs messing up his trees some anyone that will shoot can.  there was one lone hog coming across the dirt road and i put a 158gr  into  him and he went down but i think the 180gr will work better for the hunt.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 07:17:56 AM »
you nailed it.  the grammer, punctuation, and spelling was just too good.  lol.   

didnt i tell you guys a while back, wait until he discovers girls?   he is entertaining, though. 

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 08:58:40 AM »
she been my girl for a few years now. there was no reason to talk about her before because she had nothing to do with my posts before.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2008, 10:35:18 AM »
again,  ???

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2008, 10:37:15 AM »

didnt i tell you guys a while back, wait until he discovers girls?   he is entertaining, though. 

Yeah sure is. Kinda lacking some common sense though. Did you stop shooting the 380 and .22 in the house?

Rick

Offline Jerry Lester

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2008, 06:38:46 PM »
  [/quote]

Yeah sure is. Kinda lacking some common sense though. Did you stop shooting the 380 and .22 in the house?
[/quote]

You would have to bring up shooting in the house not 24 hours after I "somehow" managed to rack off several rounds inside my little re-loading building on full auto with my paintball gun. Nice pink splotches all up one wall, and splatters pretty much everywhere. So much for having it fixed up as nice as a room inside the house. Thank goodness it's far enough away from the house that my wife didn't hear it. I'd have never lived it down! LOL!!

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2008, 03:18:31 AM »
Still paint balls are a different story.

Rick

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2008, 05:01:11 AM »
take a lady hog hunting with a 357 , on her first hunt , might just cement those anti feelings !
then ya might get lucky .
by the way in Va. as long as you hunt private land and land owner gives permission 16 is the age to hunt solo , anytime with adult .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Chilachuck

• A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2008, 05:10:48 AM »
"Full auto paintball" eh? Do we have another demented Whiteboard fan here?

http://www.the-whiteboard.com/

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2008, 05:37:52 AM »

the .22shorts are only going 600FPs and that the same speed of my 2200mag airgun. the 380 i shoot with fragmenting rounds which if you miss(i shoot in front of a cement wall  and the rounds disintegrates when it hits hard targets such as many interior walls) the only thing in back of this very hard wall is lake tarpon and it's 1 mile across i think and even after that there 3 miles of open wools. I did stop with the 380 because i found out what i needed and American ammo rounds cost a lot. here a link to there site  http://www.a-merc.com/

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2008, 06:08:32 AM »
its what you breath with indoor shooting !

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2008, 09:17:34 AM »
I don't care what the FPS are and what type of bullet the plain and simple fact is it is stupid no matter what. And its the air also.  What if the 380 hit the wall and and it didn't come apart? Yeah I know and I suggest you stop that. But I guess if you aren't your just another hard headed teen that won't listen to a word of experience. Its just plain and simple don't shoot inside its not safe and its very stupid. I won't be the one injured and on the news. It will give the antis another reason to try to ban guns. They will claim were not safe as they have before. Who taught you how to shoot safely. They obviously missed some stuff.

Rick

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2008, 10:12:49 AM »
could win a DARWIN AWARD !

Offline Jerry Lester

• A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2008, 05:40:02 PM »

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out when I get a little time.

I'm not really a die hard paintball freak or nothing. I just get together with a fairly mixed bunch of guys that range from full out tournament players to guys that might play woodsball twice a year. Myself, I have a Tippman Custom Pro with the electronics I installed, a Cyclone feeder, and CO2. This summer I'll be switching to compressed air. I'm tired of freezing my gun up at the worst moments! I've never played an actual tournament. I just like hunting each other in varied enviroments. I've done everything from woodsball, and open feild war to urban settings. I absolutely love this kind of stuff, and when I get invited, I rarely miss a chance to bust somebody! LOL!

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2008, 09:02:46 AM »

I'm not really a die hard paintball freak or nothing. I just get together with a fairly mixed bunch of guys that range from full out tournament players to guys that might play woodsball twice a year. Myself, I have a Tippman Custom Pro with the electronics I installed, a Cyclone feeder, and CO2. This summer I'll be switching to compressed air. I'm tired of freezing my gun up at the worst moments! I've never played an actual tournament. I just like hunting each other in varied enviroments. I've done everything from woodsball, and open feild war to urban settings. I absolutely love this kind of stuff, and when I get invited, I rarely miss a chance to bust somebody! LOL!

you ever try air soft? my friends and i used  play a little but we stop because someone would always called the cops on us because the look real.

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2008, 03:06:30 PM »

you ever try air soft? my friends and i used  play a little but we stop because someone would always called the cops on us because the look real.

Well see that's what the plastic (orange) thing is for on the barrel. What did you do take it off?  Where do you do this in a open public field? Tell the people around you. If it looks too real then you know NOT to do that.

Rick

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2008, 06:33:20 AM »
Well see that's what the plastic (orange) thing is for on the barrel. What did you do take it off?  Where do you do this in a open public field? Tell the people around you. If it looks too real then you know NOT to do that.
[/quote]

the one we had didn't come with  those and it was also how we were dress. We put up signs saying a paintball game was being played in this area but it was just some people didn't read them or didn't care. We have found a new area and it's looks like the game is no( not this weekend because of rain). we they cops came they just told us we could not do that there and to leave.

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2008, 06:36:32 AM »

the one we had didn't come with those and it was also how we were dress. We put up signs saying a paintball game was being played in this area but it was just some people didn't read them or didn't care. We have found a new area and it's looks like the game is no( not this weekend because of rain). we they cops came they just told us we could not do that there and to leave.

Well at least you listen to the cops.

Rick