Author Topic: 20 ga w/screw in chokes  (Read 560 times)

Offline greg916

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • was mich nicht tötet, bildet mich stärker
20 ga w/screw in chokes
« on: January 11, 2008, 07:18:17 AM »
is there a 20 ga barrel that accepts screw in chokes other than the vent rib?

Does anyone have opinions on the vent rib barrel as far as handling? I have heard that is excessively heavy.

My goal is a 20 ga turkey gun. I am open to ideas and suggestions.
OSTENDO NON OSTENDO

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Re: 20 ga w/screw in chokes
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 12:53:03 PM »
If I was going to build a 20ga turkey gun I'd get a sb1-25c . 22" 20ga barrel threaded for choke tubes. the gun comes with a 12 1/2" stock so I'd change that out. The barrel is not listed in the accessory program on the website but if you give CS a call they'll give you the part#.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 12:56:00 PM »
Check this out...I think it is just what you are looking for.

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/pardnerScrewIn.aspx 

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline greg916

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 02:02:34 PM »
Thanks, Cookiemann, Markus. That is exactly what I was looking for!! Might just order the whole gun. What is the difference yardage wise between the extra full and the turkey choke? Do you think I can make a 45 yard turkey gun out of a 20? 
OSTENDO NON OSTENDO

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 04:49:50 AM »
Thanks, Cookiemann, Markus. That is exactly what I was looking for!! Might just order the whole gun. What is the difference yardage wise between the extra full and the turkey choke? Do you think I can make a 45 yard turkey gun out of a 20? 

There would be no difference "yardage" wise, the pellets will travel the same distance.  The difference would be in the pattern. And which one would have the tighter pattern at 45yrds depends on many factors including your particular gun, the choke you use, and the loads you choose .  If the lead pellets are too soft a too tight choke restriction could actually deform the pellets causing a more open pattern than a less restrictive choke.  So what it boils down to is you've got to try different loads and different chokes in your gun to find out what works best for you.

Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline greg916

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 02:06:14 AM »
Brett, you are correct on the yardage. What I am trying to get is a 80% plus pattern at 40 yards, with 50% plus, of the pellets inside a central 15"circle.

Even if I can achieve this, will the 20 ga have enough pellets to do the job? I figure at 50% there will only be about 45 pellets in that 15" circle (assuming #6 shot). I'm sure the 12 is the way to go, but I have become recoil sensitive after a recent injury.

I will pattern my gun to find the tightest shooting combo, just have no experience trying to tighten up a pattern. thanks!!
OSTENDO NON OSTENDO

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 02:25:07 AM »
If you've got an injury keep in mind that a high brass 3" turkey load out of a light 20ga isn't gonna be really shoulder friendly.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun