Author Topic: Sako vs. Tikka  (Read 4345 times)

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Sako vs. Tikka
« on: January 12, 2008, 08:16:25 AM »
I just bought a new Tikka S.S. Lite this past week and saw a used Sake 75 IV that I held and looked over. These two rifles are amazingly similar. Of course the price tags were much different, but the basic designs are all there. I did notice that many areas were Tikka cuts corners involves the use of synthetics instead of stainless steel parts. For instance the floor plate, magazine release and the magazine itself. On the Tikka they are all synthetic, but Sako is all S.S. The parts were so similar that I got to wondering if the parts would swap out?
Don

Offline Old English

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Re: Sako vs. Tikka
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 12:41:42 AM »
Tikka rifles use Sako barrels on the T3 action. If you look at the barrel there is no mention of Tikka, just the caliber, made in Finland and the Beretta stuff. At least, they say that they use Sako barrels.......

Offline wareagleguy

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 02:31:32 PM »
Only difference is the action.  Same trigger and barrel.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Offline oldelkhunter

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 04:52:55 AM »
Only similiarity is the barrel everything else is different. The trigger on a Tikka is alum/steel as opposed to all stainless.
"Be thankful that we're not getting all the government that we're paying for." Will Rogers

Offline ccoker

• A Real Regular
    • www.tacticalgunreview.com
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 05:39:42 AM »
I have an older '59 Sako in a 243, a Tikka stainless lite in 308 and just got a 75 greywolf in 308

one difference not mentioned is that the Tikka has the same length action for all calibers, for shorter calibers (like the 308) it's blocked internally

the Sako 308 uses a true short action and has a shorter overall length for the same barrel length and stock LOP and of course a shorter bolt throw

how big of a deal is that?
not much really

like the others said, same barrel, just a different action, same great trigger
they basically offer the same accuracy but use some measures to cut production costs down

I will admit that I have a weakness for a "true Sako"  perhaps it's just ego....

my Tikka is a one holer at 100 yards
I am probably going to sell it because I don't need both, but part of me says "keep it", but I should probably sell it

Offline oldelkhunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 07:10:10 AM »
like the others said, same barrel, just a different action, same great trigger
they basically offer the same accuracy but use some measures to cut production costs down

different barrel contour different finishing methods, different stock and 5 different action lengths, 3 lug bolt and a different trigger. The only similiarities are they are made in the same factory and that is it. Sako is 5 into an inch Tikka is 3 into an inch
"Be thankful that we're not getting all the government that we're paying for." Will Rogers

Offline mildot

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 10:20:25 PM »
As above the barrel contours are different the tikka has a very very slim profile, where as the sako is thicker. Actions, triggers, bolts, infact theres not one bit on em that is the same from what i have seen.   The only sako part is as others have said the barrels are make by sako.

Offline ccoker

• A Real Regular
    • www.tacticalgunreview.com
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 11:01:18 AM »
update:
I sold the Sako 75 greywolf as my Tikka shoots better

I have subsequently bought a Sako 85 Finlight 270
I am still working on trying to get the Sako to shoot as consistently tight of groups as the Tikka

as it's my first 270, I am not sure of what is reasonable to expect for group sizes
I know the 308 is inherently a very accurate cartridge

While I think the Sako is a "nicer"gun, the Tikka is one helluva shooter and a lot less coin
both are plenty accurate for hunting big game but I expect one ragged hole at 100 yards off a bench

Offline CBM

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 02:20:44 AM »
I have a Tikka T3 and a Sako 75 greywolf. I think the Sako is a much nicer rifle as far as quality. The Tikka is a heck of a deal in a rifle though and mine shoots awesome. But my Sako is definately more accurate .........although both shoot under MOA with factory loads. My Sako is extremely forgiving of different brands of ammo and bullet weights(150-180's). I have gotten many groups of 1/2" 3 shots at 100 yrds and around 2" +/- at 300 yrds with the Sako . My Tikka will shoot close to that but not quite that good and I had to try 4-5 different loads to find "one" that would shoot that good !

The Tikka is a T3 lite stainless .270 WSM and likes Winchester 140 Accubonds. The Sako is a 75 Greywolf .30-06 and will shoot everything I have ran through it under MOA but seems to prefer Winchester Ballistic Silver tip 168's and Rem. Corelock 165's the best.

Offline Old English

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 04:24:17 AM »
I would like a Sako, but.... They are both mass produced with all that entails, ie. Tolerances produced by their QA departments. I have 3 Tikkas, the 308 is sub MOA, the 223 is 1/2 MOA and the 243 is beyond good, awesome I believe is the word used in the US. I could buy three more in the same calibers and situations could be reversed, IE, the 243 could just be sub MOA. I think there is a certain luck of the draw when guying any mass produced article. I believe, just my opinion, that Tikka's represent a great value for money option in a saturated market, I am not willing to have 1 Sako instead of 2 Tikka's. I have a friend with a Sako that cannot match the accuracy of 2 of my Tikka's, it is just luck of the draw.

Offline kombi1976

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2008, 03:56:07 AM »
I think the one thing agreed on with T3s is that almost all of them have top shelf accuracy out of the box.
I'm yet to meet or chat with someone who actually owns one that has had more issues than a broken bolt shroud.
Most of the criticism seems to lie with the "anti-plastic" crowd who never have owned or used one and probably never will.
People who do own them seem to be able to get them to shoot at least MOA without any fuss at all and there seems to be far less "luck-of-the-draw" with T3s than other rifles.
In fact it makes me wonder why people are accepting new rifles that cost up to double the price of a T3 and then require bedding, trigger work, action truing and the like to do what many T3s seem to do with simple load testing.
I think the T3 is an illustration of how you can still make a great product when you have a low price point.
One of the coolest things I find about my own T3 is the slickness of the action.
Never having had the money for a SAKO I can't comment except to say that the ones I've handled are very nice.
8)

Cheers & God Bless

.22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 NE 3"

Offline Calgarynorm

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 06:28:41 PM »
I have met a few people with sakos who love them. All the Tikka people smile and "love their smooth bolt action". Does it get any better?
I was fighting with my daughters Marlin bolt 22 this wekend and then my son swapped the Tikka and I was back in heaven, putting a round on target (a 1" grouping at that fire rate) at 100m about every 10 seconds with a bolt action...better than Harvey Oswald and his Texas School Book Depository story.

Offline oldelkhunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 03:35:29 AM »
I just bought a new Tikka S.S. Lite this past week and saw a used Sake 75 IV that I held and looked over. These two rifles are amazingly similar. Of course the price tags were much different, but the basic designs are all there. I did notice that many areas were Tikka cuts corners involves the use of synthetics instead of stainless steel parts. For instance the floor plate, magazine release and the magazine itself. On the Tikka they are all synthetic, but Sako is all S.S. The parts were so similar that I got to wondering if the parts would swap out?
Don

The only part that will swap out is the barrel maybe..and the ring part of the optilock ring assembly. There are vasts difference between the 2

Offline oldelkhunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 03:39:52 AM »
update:
I sold the Sako 75 greywolf as my Tikka shoots better

I have subsequently bought a Sako 85 Finlight 270
I am still working on trying to get the Sako to shoot as consistently tight of groups as the Tikka

as it's my first 270, I am not sure of what is reasonable to expect for group sizes
I know the 308 is inherently a very accurate cartridge

While I think the Sako is a "nicer"gun, the Tikka is one helluva shooter and a lot less coin
both are plenty accurate for hunting big game but I expect one ragged hole at 100 yards off a bench

I have both and the Tikka is extremely accurate but not as accurate as the 75 no way shape or form. One is a 300 wsm (Sako) and the other is a 308 win Tikka.  Here are the differences

• large magazine opening on top of reciever instead of a slit , try putting a cartridge in that chamber with gloves on or unloading
    3 position safety
    3 lug action with less lift
    All SS parts
    Better Quality Wood and Synthetic stock assemblies
    Field strippable
The Tikka is accurate because it is a stiff sleeve threaded for a barrel. For 90% of the hunting out there it is fine. Just realize there are differences. This will be my last Tikka but certainly not my last Sako.

Offline BigBamBoo

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 12:50:39 PM »
I have owned three Tikka T3's....two Lite models and one Tactical. I have never owned a Sako 75 or 85, but I do own a Sako TRG-22. All my Tikka's will out shoot my TRG. My TRG is a solid 1/2" five shot group at 100yrds rifle. The Tikka's will shoot sub 1/2" five shot groups at 100yrds when I do my part.

As far as the receiver having only a "slit" for ejection....that makes for a much stronger action then a open top receiver...again...look at the TRG-22 action..very similar to the T3 action.

I have owned and built some top in rifles (see pics below) and hands down...my Tikka's will/have out shot them all. And as you can see from my humble collection I am not just saying that cause I only own a Tikka.

Just my input.

Take care,Stan

Offline oldelkhunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2009, 09:55:40 AM »
As far as the receiver having only a "slit" for ejection....that makes for a much stronger action then a open top receiver...again...look at the TRG-22 action..very similar to the T3 action.

That is all and fine if all your doing is shooting at targets and strength is relative to usability in the field.  On a subzero day with heavy gloves on try throwing some cartridges into the "slit" to reload. I might add this is probably the worst feature I find about Tikkas. 

Offline BigBamBoo

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2009, 05:30:05 PM »
Each to their own....but there are many "operators" who use the TRG (same design as the Tikka) who would disagree with you. And they are mag fed so why would you need to throw cartridges in via the receiver? I have a couple of spare mags I carry loaded and I do hunt in the cold with gloves and have never had a issue. WIth 5 or 6 in the mag (depending on what rifle I have...223 or the .243) and one in the chamber...if you can't get it done with that you have bigger issues then worrying about reloading.

Take care,Stan