Author Topic: Safety concerns for new members...  (Read 588 times)

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
Safety concerns for new members...
« on: January 13, 2008, 12:33:24 AM »
 I see that there are several new folks here recently. Some have stated that they don't have any experience with making or using cannons/mortars.

I know that there's a lot of safety info in the stickys, but it is somewhat scattered between posts, books, chatrts etc. Many will read active posts before they get too deep into the stickys (I know I have always done so in the past).

Could we do a quick and condensed recap of safety concerns? Just some "one-liners" that might help to prevent an accident such as...

Know where your projectile will impact.

Don't stand too close behind the gun when firing, gasses can eject debris from the vent at high velocity.

Make sure that there are no burning embers in your barrel before loading a new charge.

Store powder well away from the gun while firing.

Even most purchased cannons come with less safety instructions than a cell phone does. "Common" knowledge may not be so common to those new to cannons.

Just a thought...

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: Safety concerns for new members...
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 01:07:36 AM »
Victor -

Thanks for bringing this up!  Safety is the FIRST of my four rules to live by in this forum.

We need constantly to be reminded of it - and - in new and fresh ways that cause us not to just think, but to review our practices.  One has to be tough if one is stupid.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Blaster

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 02:55:59 AM »
Great idea Victor3.  I have recently sold off some of my cannon/mortars and some went to first time shooters.  I have been attempting to kinda consolidate all of the safety items that I feel/know should be passed along to the buyer but by the time I list all that I think are important, I have a long winded set of suggestions (that's suggestions, not directions) that the buyers probably get bored wading through them and probably just give them a toss.  Yes, I know that the "The Complete Cannoneer" book by Switlik is of extreme importance but most shooters will be almost too anxious to shoot their new gun and do not want to hold off shooting until they receive the book and of course this would be a foolish move.  Also of concern is attempting to cover ALL of the more important safety features in the firing of these guns, with the matter of liability in mind.  There are SO many steps that WE follow automatically and it's almost like we presume the new comers will already be aware of the majority of the bare basics.  With each sale (these sales are not "for profit" sales, just liquidating some of my shooting stock) I have the buyer sign a release of liability that would hopefully protect me somewhat.  Anyhow, I believe Victor3 has a good idea here for that CONDENSED recap of safety concerns when shooting cannon and mortars.  OK, now, I'll go back to sleep.
Graduate of West Point (West Point, Iowa that is)

Offline irishman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 09:27:44 AM »
Victor3, A great idea! I often refer new customers to GBO for additional safety, operation as well as historic info. a "one click stop" for safety would be super.

Most of my beginning buyers start with small barrels, and eventially progress to my larger, 1" bore, 24 PDR or GB which are super "transition" to full scale barrels. These addicts, when well informed become potiential Seacoast Artillary customers. Victors' idea could contribute to taking this full scale....I mean, full circle. That is a high calling as Seacoast contributes rapidly with clear concise info.

Michael

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 05:43:53 PM »
Great Idea guys.  Tim  and I have been talking some remodeling here on the board.  We are going to move the Cannon plans into the reference post and leave safe loads as a stand alone.

Couple of other things coming also.     

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 12:03:12 AM »
 For those making or considering making their own barrels, some principles (Just off the top of my head, there are others) that I believe should at the very least be skimmed to get a basic understanding before starting are:

The "one caliber rule"

Proven existing designs

Windage

Corrosion concerns in multiple-component barrel designs

Safe charge and projectile weight

Powder chambers

Pressures with black powder

Tensile strength (ultimate and yield)

Barlow's formula

Metal fatigue

Hoop stress

Weldability

Stress risers

Many of the above can be searched in Wikipedia and elsewhere. Others are in the stickys here. Companies that sell metal stock often have material property charts available on their websites.

Although some of the material above is not absolutely necessary to understand fully, it will be helpful in understanding some principles that go into a safe cannon design.

NOTE - Use any engineering formula related to pressure or other mechanical limits as only a STARTING POINT. When all safety factors are taken into account in the construction of your barrel, make it a MINIMUM of 2x AS STRONG as the information allows for what would be calculated to be "safe."
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline phalanx

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 04:16:41 AM »
In looking on the web ,about anything that became lethal or caused injury's the Media and Law Enforcement are very critical of this sport.
Although some reports will say the cannon wasn't safe ,or it wasn't meant to be shot ,all in all they have a very uninformed approach to the subject.
In the one report where the kids used smokeless powder ,the fact that they did only came up much later from an investigation ,and the initial report in the paper was never changed.
The Police only made comments about the death ,the media went wild about dangerous weapons in a neighborhood ,and how many of these weapons could be in the wrong hands.
In this time i Command ,That you take the Secular to Jerusalem .
There you rid the Holy City of the Scourge of Islam , Make the streets run red with the Blood of those who wish to wash Israel and Christianity from the face of the Earth.
Constantine III