Author Topic: .327 Federal Magnum  (Read 1276 times)

Offline XD9

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • Match Grade Makes A Difference!
.327 Federal Magnum
« on: January 14, 2008, 03:43:05 AM »
Anyone own the Ruger SP101 chambered in the new .327 Federal Magnum?  There's a review of it in my new Shooting Times magazine but they didn't have any range results for it...mainly ballistics, which were impressive.  Just wondering how it performed on the range.
I'm an accountant and I carry a gun...'nuff said

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
Re: .327 Federal Magnum
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 05:58:18 AM »
I have one order and as soon as I can I will   post a  range report.   Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 06:07:46 AM »
Cool.  I got the same Shooting Times and the ballistics are impressive for sure.

Offline XD9

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 07:08:39 AM »
Looking forward to reading what you find.  My next pistol will probably be a small framed revolver for CCW purposes.  I carry my Springfield XD9 3" daily and love it but, with t-shirts, it doesn't work so well.  I like the fact that this .327 magnum can chamber 6 rounds instead of 5 because of it's smaller size.  I'll have to check out the price of ammunition for the .327 magnum.  I love shooting my 9mm cause their so cheap! :)

Offline Savage

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 03:01:36 PM »
Not sure what niche the .327 fills, but I'm sure a few will sell. Can't think of anything it might do that hasn't already been done. It might be good to own one "Just Because" and, if it sells a few more guns, it's a good thing.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline XD9

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 02:37:24 AM »
Not sure what niche the .327 fills

According to the Shooting Times magazine, the .327 doubles the ballistics of the .38 +P and rivals the ballistics of the .357 mag, with less recoil than the .38 +P.  I don't have the magazine with me right now so I can't quote the exact ballistics but they made for a very interesting read.  I wouldn't say that I'm one to shy away from recoil but, if you can have the same results, with less recoil, why not? :)  And I would never turn down an extra round in the chamber!!

I went to my local gun shop yesterday to talk to them about one and they hadn't heard of it yet.  They said it usually takes four to five months when a new cartridge comes out before they start getting them...guess I'll have to wait.

Offline Savage

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 04:16:18 AM »
Yep, read the article. More power less recoil, hmmmmmmm. As charge weight is a factor in the calculation of recoil, we'll have to wait and see the data on that.  Not that I don't believe everything I read! As skeptical as I might sound, I still welcome any new caliber, and gun on the market. I don't usually run out and buy one based on a gun magazine review, but who knows! When they are out long enough to learn a little about them, I just may have to have one! Let us hear your impressions when you have had yours for a while.
Good Shooting!
Savage

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 04:33:17 AM »
no niche really , they ( the industry ) have been on a roll trying to get new rounds out to get business ! my first thought is its a 32 , and i sway that way still .
its like the 30 carbine , looks good on paper , up with 357 mag. but in reality not many make it a first choice .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 12:07:34 PM »
If it'll send a 115 gr. pill down range at 1300 fps it'll fly for sure.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline scout34

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 05:48:51 PM »
Saw one at E-Town Gun in Elizabethtown KY.  They had Hornady ammo there as well.  Velocity listed was a 100gr bullet at 1500fps.  Pretty smokin.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 01:02:02 AM »
check the 30 carbine in a ruger blackhawk , been doing it for years and not many noticed , but get a new ctg. a little sales promotion and bang a new round , at least till it turns in some field reports !
the way folks talk guess there is demand for a mag. squirrel gun !

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 01:15:46 AM »
For that matter check out the 7.62x25mm Tokarev round - it's over 100 years old (originally the 1896 C96 Mauser pistol cartridge) and runs in the same velocity categories as the new 327 is supposed to.  As for bullets - you can load anything you want into a bottle necked cartridge design and it will probably chamber better and faster than a revolver. 

If you want to see what the 7.62 cartridge will do check out Ron Reed's site for cartridge specs for both the Tokarev and the CZ52.  JMTCW.  Mikey.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 01:18:33 AM »
mikey isn't that the round that gives the bullet proof vest builders a hard time ?

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 04:03:47 PM »
First  the gunshop that had my Ruger SP101 on order, didn't( :-[) but thanks to scout34( thanks ) I called Etown guns, really nice people to deal with and it arrived today.I had a set of Hogues waiting.I have very little ammo riight now so most of the shooting will be with 32H&R.I will try to get a range report as soon as I can .   Doug

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 01:36:00 AM »
SHOOTALL:  you are absolutely correct.  The 7.62x25mm round has been giving bullet proof vest makers a very difficult time for quite a while.  The Chinese felt it was powerful enough to design their own 'quilted' look body armor jackets for that round. 

It is known for its penetration in ball configuration but at the same time I have heard from Russian immigrants that even when fired from a PPSH41 and the like, the bullet would hang up in the multiple layers of heavy winter clothing the Russians wore during colder times.  One fella said they would laugh at the Russian Police who were trying to hit them at 75 yds or so and then shake the bullets out of their clothing when they got home.  But that still doesn't stop the bullet from penetrating softer targets or even heavily clad targets at closer ranges (self defense ranges). 

It is interesting to note that during penetration comparisons of the new FN 5.7x28 round, the 7.62x25 even out penetrated the 06 in water tests.  I think it went about 26" and that was way more than anything else compared. 

I can also tell you that loaded with a functional hollow-point (one that expands), or a soft nosed bullet they can be dang devastating.  They also chamber and work fine with wadcutter/semi-wadcutter slugs as the bottleneck design reduces jamming possibilities.  I like my Tokarev but I have always hoped someone would design a more modern pistol in that chambering.  JMTCW.  Mikey.

Offline S.S.

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2008, 06:20:02 AM »
it won't last I do not think..
kind or like the 9mm Federal..
An interesting Idea that probably will not catch on...
If you buy one, get lots of brass for reloading
when the round stops being produced...
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline Savage

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2008, 11:09:50 AM »
Well we know they sold two of these revolvers. Canon6 and Shootall bought them. Either one of you guys got your hands on the loaded .327 rounds? Haven't seen any myself, and no one is making brass for reloading that I can find. Looks like ammo and brass may be hard to find for quite some time.
Savage

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2008, 03:52:57 PM »
A short answer, Savage, no ammo at this time I am on waiting lists all over the country.    >:(   Doug

Offline S.S.

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2008, 05:25:05 PM »
will probably be $30.00 a box too.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2008, 05:59:18 AM »
no !
or brass !