Author Topic: Nipple Wrench  (Read 1022 times)

Offline jjamna

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Nipple Wrench
« on: January 18, 2008, 10:44:52 AM »
I have a Spiller and Burr Replica 36 cal revolver and it hasn't been shot in some time. I am trying to get the nipples out for cleaning but not having a lot of luck. I have gotten 3 of them out and have 3 to go. Problem is finding a nipple wrench that is worth a hoot. I have an old one I have had for years but the end is chewed up so i bought a Traditions and after getting the 3 out it to is chewed up. I have bought another Traditions but I am not to optimistic about it holding up. Can any one tell me a good nipple wrench for revolvers. One that will hold up to a little torque.
Thanks

Offline .50cal

• Trade Count: (12)
Re: Nipple Wrench
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 06:03:48 PM »
Here's what I had to do found cheap 1/4 inch socket in my tool box that would just bearly fit over the end of the nipple then used a dremmel tool and cut the notches in the sides almost like the store bought ones ,an use ratchet or nut driver handle also helps to soak the cylinder in automatic trans fluid for a day or two.... Let me know if this helps

Offline mykeal

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 02:23:26 AM »
Nipple wrenches are one of the darker sides to c&b revolver shooting. There are two solutions: a wrench that fits the nipple perfectly or a hardened wrench.

The key, like with screwdrivers, is getting the wrench to fit the nipple perfectly. The wrench is always softer than the nipple, so any misalignment that causes local stresses will invariably damage the wrench. However, finding such a wrench is a crap shoot; you end up with half a dozen at $6 each, most of which you'll never use again. I have no advice on which wrench to buy for which gun; I've bought several and generally found ones that fit my various guns, but I can't remember which ones I bought from where.

Another option is to buy some Kasenite and harden the wrench yourself; this is not difficult but daunting if you've never used it as it involves heating the wrench to a high temperature.

Finally, modifying a socket as suggested above works if you have the tool to cut the slots. The problem with a modified socket is that it has fairly thick walls and won't fit on many guns. However, for those that it will fit, it's a good cheap solution.

Offline lrrice

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
    • Rice Custom Knives
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 06:07:01 PM »
I have one similar to this http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(yv20ii455ee5ppilrft1vk45))/CATEGORIES/PARTDETAIL.ASPX?CATID=15&SUBID=87&STYLEID=316&PARTNUM=NW-140 (but not the same).  I don't know where I got it, but I have to keep a close eye on it or jealous friends would steal it.  It is the best wrench I have ever owned.  Actually it is more like this one.  http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=7624

Offline yooper

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 09:12:26 AM »
Back in the day when I was a machinist I'd make nipple wrenches out of old allen wrenches.Center drill a hole to fit over the nipple then snag a slot to catch the flats on the nipple...

Offline jjamna

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 10:43:19 AM »
Thanks Guy's I tried the socket and no luck. I finally put the cyl on a drill press and drilled them out. Just drilled small hole then used small ez out to remove them. I did this without damage to my traditions wrench so I still have it. I now antiseeze the nipples. I like the Idea of the allen wrench drilled out I may try that in the future. My next wrench I buy will come from track Wolf or Dixie.
 Many Thanks  again guy's