Author Topic: Lee factory crimp die  (Read 869 times)

Offline j two dogs

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Contributor
Lee factory crimp die
« on: January 19, 2008, 02:18:08 AM »
Spoke with Lee Representative yesterday, about my problem (the bullet I want to shoot does not have a crimp groove were I need it, to cycle through my .450) He said for $29 Lee will make me a custom factory crimp die that when used properly will so hold the bullet  (without a groove) that it will not move even under heavy recoil. Has anyone had any experience with a Lee factory crimp die?

Offline tn_junk

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • A Real Regular
  • Look to Him
Re: Lee factory crimp die
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 02:20:02 AM »
Yep. They work exactly like they are supposed to.

alan
Common Sense Ain't Very Common

Deceased May 20, 2009.  RIP Alan we miss you.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 02:24:31 AM »
yup i use them in marlin 444s and 4570s just like what you want to do and they work great.
blue lives matter

Offline jtaylor1960

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 07:52:56 AM »
 He wasn't kidding.The crimp die allows you to crimp at almost anywhere on the bullet with or without a groove.You can adjust your O.A.L. to help with feeding and accuracy.I have one for most of my calibers.

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 11:55:59 PM »
Yes they even will crimp a jacketed bullet tightly.  I use them in 30-30 and 348. And all my hand gun rounds.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 07:41:12 PM »
I use them to crimp everything I load;even the loads for my bolts.Most folks will say,you don't need them for that.They are probably correct,but makes me fell better about the round.I have never had any problems with my Lee's.........Rick
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"

Offline Kurt L

• Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 08:05:02 PM »
I have also had good luck with the lee factory crimp dies for lead and jacketed loads.
I wouldn't hesitate on the$29 you will be satisfied.
KURT LGo TO RIFLE RED RYDER SUPER MAG CARBINE

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 08:21:24 PM »
I was skeptic, but bought one for my 356Winchester, and they do work! Now I have them in all my levergun calibers as well as my handgun calibers. I use my 41mag Lee Factory Crimp Die with my 40-82Winchester. It doesn't know it's not "the right one", however, it works like a charm. The factory crimp die makes an extra step in the handload process, but it really is worth it. Never thought I'd say that. You'll not regret the purchase!

Regards,
Sweetwater

Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline efremtags

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 02:17:34 PM »
Die works well. It is great for remington 405SP which have crimp grooves useless in 45/70 or 450 marlin.

Beware of brass, as some of the hornady brass runs shorter than SAMMI spec. I experienced this with the new leverloution ammo. The crimp die can not be adjusted to work with short brass.

It also deforms brass less and you are less likely to wear brass like with a taper die.