Author Topic: new shotgun  (Read 655 times)

Offline Illhunter

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
new shotgun
« on: January 19, 2008, 07:48:30 AM »
got the new pardner today will be my all purpose gun am actually going to take it out this weekend for late season deer have a few slugs winchester silverbox slugs for it. I have a question about slugs though who makes slugs for a smoothbore. have some cash to get some slugs and a shell holder for the butt or a belt holder.

Terry 

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: new shotgun
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 08:11:43 AM »
Just about all major ammo manufacturers make slugs for smoothbores, they range in cost from about $!.75 on sale for foster style slugs to $15.00 for Remington Buckhammers (to expensive and a waste of money I think for what you get) a box of 5. I liked Brenneke slugs best but since they have discontinued the European Brennekes and only Brenneke America slugs are available they have not been as accurate as the European manufactured Brennekes and have only been about equal to some american slugs for accuracy. Remington Sluggers are good, and inexpensive also. Winchester, Federal and Hornady also make slugs for smoothbores. For special, tough, and dangerous game (large hogs, bears and such) Dixie Slugs are among the very best. Their Tri-Ball loads are great also when needed for special applications. The beauty of smoothbore slugs are they are cheap and more than accurate enough out to about 75 yards for deer sized game. Try different ones in YOUR gun to see which slugs it shoots best. Good luck....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Jack Pine Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 08:45:16 AM »
I just bought a wood-stocked 20 gauge Pardner with a modified choke 26" barrel. I was planning on making it my all-round shotgun - shot and slugs. Past posts have indicated the Brenneke slugs shot well out of a modified choke as I recall. Now it sounds like there has been a change in this ammo. Any other choices you recommend I try out?

I'm also sending it in for a Tracker 1 barrel next week. I thought I should get one while it's still possible. They're saving one of the "found" barrels for me. Should I have a new fore end fitted to my gun or just switch it back and forth - any drawbacks to that?

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 09:23:01 AM »
Your forend will fit both barrels fine and it will match your stock so I say stay with it, there are no drawbacks to using one forend on a couple of barrels. The Brennekes may still shoot great from your gun so for the $2.00 to $4.00 for them for a box of 5 I say definitely try them. For a only a couple of bucks a box I also suggest you try the Remington sluggers and some Winchesters and Federals, the Hornadys would also be a good bet. If you don't mind spending cash you might want to try the Remington Buckhammers but they are not any better than the Brennekes as far as knock down power and much more expensive, as a matter of fact the jury is still out on if they work better in Rifled barrels or smoothboes, I do not think they are particularly good in smoothbores. The modified choke will be great for shooting slugs...The Tracker 1 barrels are wonderful for slugs out to about 75 yards and perhaps a bit more as well depending on how yours likes a particular brand of slug.....<><....:) 

P.S. - VERY IMPORTANT!!!...I suggest you only buy and use 2 3/4" slugs, unless you are hunting elephants or dinosaurs. I prefer 2 3/4" standard slugs over 2 3/4" magnum slug loadings. I and others have found they group better, are usually cheaper, and the recoil is less punishing. I am not recoil shy and although it doesn't bother me why take it if all you get is less accuracy, for more money, and wasted energy you do not need. There are some who suffer from that dreaded malady I call "Magnumitis" that will tell you bigger and badder is always better, do not believe it. Any deer hit in the proper place with a 12, 16, or 20 gauge 2 3/4" slug is "meat on the pole" in any deer camp....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline JamesIII

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 11:58:02 AM »
I patterned my 20 GA. Pardner modified choke shotgun last month with Remington Sluggers 2 3/4"-5/8oz.. At 50 yards POI was 14 inches low but a group of 3 touched one another. At 25 yards POI was 6 inches low and a group of 3 made 1 large hole. This was shooting off a bench rest, I did shoot the rest of the shells off hand. Let's just say the little gun is far more accurate than I am. I just purchased a box of Winchester silver box 2 3/4"-3/4 oz. to try when it gets warmer. A tracker I barrel would give a guy some adjustable sights to work with but I will either use what I have or wait for the new Ultragon barrel. By the way, the sluggers were $2.79/5 and the Winchesters were $7.29/15. Oh yes, I did pattern a 2 3/4 shell of #5 shot at 25 yards at the same time. Basically an 18" circle with target center in the middle. VERY happy!! JamesIII

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 12:56:32 PM »
Congrats on the new gun. Which model did you get?
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Illhunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 04:14:54 PM »
I got a pardner 20ga with mod choke going to be great walk around gun along with being able to shoot slugs for deer hunting. need to find some slugs it likes during off season will hunt with it in the fall next yr for deer.

Terry

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 04:25:04 PM »
If you decide to dedicate that gun to slugs do not rule out bending the barrel to change the POI. It is an old remedy that works and has been discussed here before. You might do a search for it if you are interested....<><....:)

Offline Illhunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 05:19:35 PM »
It will be a do all if i decide to go with a dedicated slug will send back for new barrel or or just buy a ush or a slug barreled gun like the tracker II. This will shoot slugs and i will go out and buy a bunch of different ones to try and see which ones shoot the best. Going to take it out tomorrow afternoon for some shooting and maybe a slug or two if any deer are moving.

Terry

Offline Jack Pine Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2008, 07:10:37 PM »
Thanks for the helpful information MSP. It's 7 degrees and snowing here so I'll be waiting for better weather to shoot some slugs and pattern some shot loads out of it. I haven't shot it yet so I'm not sure how the recoil will be. I may add a recoil pad. For several years I hunted birds and rabbit with an Ithaca Featherweight 12 gauge pump (It had a recoil pad as I recall) and was never bothered by the kick of it. I'm not sure how it would compare to the 20 gauge Pardner. They must weigh about the same. Anyone tried the slip on version Pachmyr or Decelerator makes? Is it advisable to forget the slip-on style and just trim a bit off the butt-stock to keep the length of pull about the same and use a screw on type?  Any advantage to one over the other?

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 04:32:04 AM »
I have a 20 ga. Pardner youth model that has been my all purpose "go to" gun. It shoots Rem. Sluggers POA at 50 yds. It is QUICK on flushing birds and pass shooting doves, takes squirrels out of the trees, takes rabbits either jumped or in front of dogs. It will pattern well enough for turkeys at 25 yds.. It stands watch in the corner beside my bed. I don't baby it but it never fails me. If it was prettier I would give it a name :)

Offline Illhunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 05:50:59 AM »
I am going to shoot it without the recoil pad first just to see how it does and if needed will get a recoil pad like the limbsaver but will look around and see what is available. I will probably use it for everything but turkey have an old ithaca m-66 20ga with full choke that will make good turkey gun is actually a good gun just couldn't shot slugs through it so in steps the pardner as the new gun for everything can't wait to shoot ithopefully today if not for deer will see some rabbit, squirrel, or something else.

Terry