Author Topic: Choke tube for H&R turkey gun  (Read 1741 times)

Offline 870MAN

• Trade Count: (1)
Choke tube for H&R turkey gun
« on: January 20, 2008, 04:24:15 AM »
Hello, I'm new to H&R shotguns and I've got a question. I got a great deal on a used H&R 12 GA. shotgun that I will use for turkey hunting. I want to shoot hevi-shot out of it and want to try some different choke tubes.  The shotgun came with a turkey choke tube. What type of choke tube "system" does H&R use? Can I shot hevi-shot out of a H&R turkey tube? Thanks in advance for your help.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: Choke tube for H&R turkey gun
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 04:44:51 AM »
H&R uses the Winchoke system and that info is in the FAQ's. I am not sure about the Turkey choke being OK with Hevi Shot but many here have found other less expensive ammo that pattern better and work better for Turkey. Perhaps they will answer up here and get that info to you. Each gun and choke tube is an individual as far as how it patterns but remember, just paying more does not always equate to getting better performance. I suggest you do some research on the site and try several loads and combinations of choke tubes. Congratulations and best of luck....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline 870MAN

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 10:51:38 AM »
Thanks for the reply. The shotgun came with a scope rail mounted so I'm going to mount a Bushnell red dot I have on it. What type of pattern are you guys getting with the x-full  turkey H&R choke and various shot shells?

Thanks.  This forum is very informative.

Offline 870MAN

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 10:52:50 AM »
Thanks also for pointing out the FAQ section.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 12:42:33 PM »
There is a post on the top of this shotgun section about patterning and different shells that might interest you, I don't have much info on turkey loads, good luck....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 05:38:06 PM »
I get good patterns with 3" Remington Nitro Turkey #5 shot out of the factory X-full choke.
I got a nice 19 lb Tom with one last year.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline just bill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 12:15:39 PM »
All the Remington Nitro has patterned well from my full choke Pardner be it #2 standard Nitro for predators or #4 Nitro Turkey loads for Turkey.

Good stuff for these guns at a good price.

Truly hardened non plated lead & buffered quality loads at a fair price.

Pick your length its all good stuff in these guns.