Author Topic: Sears Model 53 30-06  (Read 2405 times)

Offline bigjeepman

• Trade Count: (0)
Sears Model 53 30-06
« on: January 20, 2008, 05:33:32 AM »
A friend of mine just purchased a Sears Model 53 with serial number 141xxx in a gun shop yesterday. I am thinking this is a Winchester Model 70 possibly made in the 1950's. Can anyone help us with this?

The rifle is in pretty good condition but he will work on refinishing the stock.

bjm
5 Rules for Happiness
free your heart from hatred ... free your mind from worries ... live simply ... give more ... expect less

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
Re: Sears Model 53 30-06
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 06:05:42 AM »
I'm pretty sure the Sears 53 was made by Winchester as you say.  A college chum had one in .30-06 when I was at UA Fairbanks in the mid '60s.

-WH-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 06:44:17 AM »
[I am thinking this is a Winchester Model 70 possibly made in the 1950's.]

Sears/Roebuck marketed that gun, and the fancier Ted Williams version, right into the late 60's,
IIRC.

Sears guns are valued on their shootability, not collectability  - as there is none.

Scope mounts are the same as the M-70, and I believe the trigger was the same adjustable M-70 trigger. Any aftermarket stock for the standard action M-70 should fit, if you elect to go that way.
There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline wink_man

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 05:51:11 AM »
A friend of mine just purchased a Sears Model 53 with serial number 141xxx in a gun shop yesterday. I am thinking this is a Winchester Model 70 possibly made in the 1950's. Can anyone help us with this?

The rifle is in pretty good condition but he will work on refinishing the stock.

bjm

The Sears model 53 is a Winchester Model 70, I had one in the 80's, it was a good gun. It uses model 70 bases.
Here is a cross reference chart verifying that it's a model 70, just scroll down:

http://www.hoosiergunworks.com/catalog/cross_reference.html
Garry
'Life is to short to hang with an ugly woman, or hunt with an ugly gun' - Garry
'It's not that our liberal friends are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't' Ronald Reagan
Just ask an American Indian what happens when you let immigration get out of hand.

Offline bigjeepman

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 04:14:44 PM »
Thanks a lot guys. He has refinished the rough stock and has scoped it with a Bushnell. He loves it and the history that goes with it.

bjm
5 Rules for Happiness
free your heart from hatred ... free your mind from worries ... live simply ... give more ... expect less