Author Topic: So is it just H&R from now on?  (Read 1372 times)

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
So is it just H&R from now on?
« on: January 20, 2008, 06:14:18 PM »
Just curious, as I see not many mention of NEF on the updated website. Does this mean with all the changes going on that they have dropped the New England Firearms name in favor of just H&R- Harrington and Richardson?
http://www.hr1871.com/Default.aspx

-Aaron

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: So is it just H&R from now on?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 06:24:07 PM »
Looks the same to me, the 2008 catalog .pdf version has NEF on it as well as H&R.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 06:29:52 PM »
I wonder if the change in ownership to Remington will eventually lead to just the H&R...or for that matter, NEF, name only?
Not that it really matters, just curious thats all. To simplify and all.

Offline jdwolf

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 10:46:20 PM »
Why did H&R 1871 continue making rifles and shotguns under both names after purchasing the company from New England Firearms in 1991?  ???
Help support concealed carry in Illinois,  show your support.  http://www.cafepress.com/sicc

Offline crimsontalon

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 02:47:54 AM »
Why did H&R 1871 continue making rifles and shotguns under both names after purchasing the company from New England Firearms in 1991?  ???

I have often wondered that myself.My uneducated guess is that both NEF & H&R were so well known they figured they might make more sales by having both names associated with the product instead of just one.
Roll Tide!

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 02:49:42 AM »
They did so to have a "Lincoln" and "Mercury" line of guns..    ...One costing a little more than the other with a couple minor upgrades.

Not sure either what is going on with the NEF line though.   ???
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline jdwolf

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 10:51:08 AM »
They did so to have a "Lincoln" and "Mercury" line of guns..    ...One costing a little more than the other with a couple minor upgrades.

Not sure either what is going on with the NEF line though.   ???
Which is the Lincoln and what upgrades did they make?
Help support concealed carry in Illinois,  show your support.  http://www.cafepress.com/sicc

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 10:54:12 AM »
H&Rs are the Ultras, BC and Toppers, = Lincolns.  Handis and Pardners are NEF = Mercurys.
Tim

Offline jdwolf

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 11:13:31 AM »
H&Rs are the Ultras, BC and Toppers, = Lincolns.  Handis and Pardners are NEF = Mercurys.
Tim
My rifle (as you can see in the photo) is an H&R 223 w/black synthetic stock and heavy/contour barrel. Is it a BC or Topper? What's the difference in the two and what does BC stand for?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 11:22:01 AM »
It's neither, it's a Handirifle. See H&R's website, then you can see all the models, BC is a Buffalo Classic. Traditionally, Handirifles have New England Firearms marked on the left side of the frame, the nicer products like the BC, Toppers and Ultras have Harrington & Richardson marked on the left side.

Tim

www.hr1871.com

Offline jdwolf

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 11:30:06 AM »
It's neither, it's a Handirifle. See H&R's website, then you can see all the models, BC is a Buffalo Classic. Traditionally, Handirifles have New England Firearms marked on the left side of the frame, the nicer products like the BC, Toppers and Ultras have Harrington & Richardson marked on the left side.

Tim

www.hr1871.com
The left side of my rifle is marked "Harrington & Richardson," not NEF or New England.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 11:56:34 AM »
That's not surprising, that's why I said "traditionally", I've seen at least one exception to that rule on a 2007 .444 Handi that was marked H&R. I've got 41 H&R frames, they're all 2006 and older except one 2007 Ultra, none have deviated from that rule so far, but I have no doubt that it may be changing, for what reason I don't know, could be they just had more H&R marked frames made and started using them on all rifles, or they're changing their practices. :D

Tim

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 04:48:24 AM »
Hi Tim!

Interesting that Topper is now a "deluxe" model.  Back when I was first interested in them, H&R called the break open single shot the Topper, as opposed to the Ultra bolt action rifle.  If you can find a '65 or so Shooter's Bible it showed in up there.  I'm going by memory now, my collection of Shooter's Bibles disappeared many years ago, darn it!

-WH-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2008, 05:57:09 AM »
Hi Tim!

Interesting that Topper is now a "deluxe" model.  Back when I was first interested in them, H&R called the break open single shot the Topper, as opposed to the Ultra bolt action rifle.  If you can find a '65 or so Shooter's Bible it showed in up there.  I'm going by memory now, my collection of Shooter's Bibles disappeared many years ago, darn it!

-WH-

I remember, as well.  My guess is that since NEF/H&R is an entirely different company and does not "recognize" anything from the original H&R, anything goes with the model names. 

I am glad they continued to use.  Although I'd bet it had something to do with name recognition and marketing.  ;)  :)

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2008, 08:12:33 AM »
I have seen several H&R/NEF "hodge podge" rifles over the last year or so. Most were of the Handi variety with H&R receivers and NEF Limited Edition stocks. Some of them were with NEF receivers and H&R medallion stocks. These are generally found at dealers that belong to a buyers group that buys special order rifles and were equipped with the gray laminate stocks without checkering.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline no.country

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2008, 06:41:51 PM »

Howdy folks I am new on forum, If I may I would like to toss in my 2cents worth. I am calling on my
fading memory but at one time H & R under went some law suites  at that time they quite adding any
extra barrels to  H &R frames and would only do NEF frames so I am assuming right or wrong that
the suite had something to do with that aspect. Then sale and re-organizing I have literature that
says you can only have barrels fitted to NEF frames hope that might shed some new light.
Cheers No.Country

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2008, 07:14:20 PM »
Welcome no country! That doesn't help much, the orginal H&R went out of business in 1986, you can read their history on the wiki link below.

Tim

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H_&_R_Firearms

H & R Firearms (Harrington & Richardson) is a Marlin Firearms-owned manufacturer of firearms, especially single-shot shotguns . They manufacture firearms under the New England Firearms and Harrington & Richardson trademarks. Currently they do business as H&R 1871 at their factory in Gardner, Massachusetts.

History
The original H&R firm was in business for over a century from 1871 to 1986.[1] Its roots are deep in the mid-19th Century Connecticut Valley firearms industry where the Wesson brothers loom large in the history of American firearms innovation. Edward Wesson was a noted maker of fine percussion rifles. Daniel B. Wesson was the co founder of Smith & Wesson, and design genius behind many of their break-through innovations.

Baby brother Frank Wesson started his own firearms manufacturing firm in 1859, sharing an early patent with Nathan Harrington. Wesson produced his famous two trigger rifles and spur trigger pistols and pocket rifles. He shared a brief partnership with his nephew Gilbert Harrington, as Wesson and Harrington. In 1875 Harrington and another former Wesson employee, William Richardson formed the new H&R company. Both Richardson and Harrington died in 1897.

In 1893 the company opened a new facility in Massachusetts to respond to customer demand for their products.[1] H&R was enjoying such success that the factory was expanded again after only a few years.

In the 1960s it was owned by the Rowe family, and warranty cards were sent to 'Industrial Rowe'. The old H&R company went out of business in 1986, and the building, which was located at the corner of Park Avenue and Chandler Street in Worcester, Massachusetts, was demolished. A Walgreens pharmacy now stands at this location.[2]

A new company, H&R 1871, Inc., was formed in 1991 and started production of revolvers, single shot rifles and shotguns using old H&R designs. H&R 1871, Inc. assets were sold to H&R 1871, LLC, a Connecticut LLC owned by Marlin Firearms in 2000.[1] Unfortunately for owners of old H&R firearms, neither Marlin nor H&R 1871 will have anything to do with the older H&R guns as regards to parts and information.

H&R was located on Hermon Street from 1877 until 1894. The current production of H&R 1871 LLC includes single shot shotguns and rifles, pump shotguns, double barrel shotguns, and dog training blank revolvers.[1] They also import self-loading 12-gauge shotguns sold under their name. According to noted web firearms author Chuck Hawks they are "These are simple, accurate, and reasonably reliable rifles."[7] They have some of the least expensive rifles and shotguns available.[8]