Author Topic: Field Report on Acorn Rage  (Read 623 times)

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
Field Report on Acorn Rage
« on: January 21, 2008, 06:05:22 PM »
Just thought I would give a field report on this product by Wildgame Innovations. I used it for only the second time this last weekend. First time it didn't seem to do much in terms of attracting deer on the property. But last Saturday although there is a food crop planted there, which the deer have hit pretty hard all season, plus a corn feeder on the property, these deer made a beeline for two short rows of the Acorn Rage product I put out. it is supposed to be ground acorns plus other soybean nutrients, and I could not smell any thing, but those deer certainly did. I had four deer come into the field and head straight for the Acorn product. Usually these deer skirt the field and go to the corn just before last light in the afternoon but this time the Acorn was the draw. Definitely worth a try again next season.

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Re: Field Report on Acorn Rage
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 11:07:57 PM »
Jal, if you "could not smell anything", how do you know you didn't just get water?  Or, how do you know when you get some on your hands or clothes?  Were these does or bucks and does?

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 05:51:02 PM »
the product is in powder form not liquid so you just pour it out on the ground in rows or in a pile- I did the rows thinking it might attract more.  I saw 4 deer that evening, two large mature does one of which I shot over with the bow, and the other was a medium size doe plus the button buck I shot with the cross bow.  It is supposed to be composed of ground acorns plus soybean I think. Wind direction was cross wind to my stand so it blew across the field where the product was poured out but the deer came in from the opposite side, upwind of the product.

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 12:29:20 AM »
Interesting.  Product may be worth a casual try.  Are acorns falling in your area this season?  You put Rage down wind from the direction the deer entered the field and still they went straight for it?  My guess is they would have entered the field from the opposite direction, smelled the product and skirted the field to investigate.  Finding "no danger" in "their yard" they beelined to the smell.  I think you succeeded by using line too.  Scent dispersal is best when laid linearly.  Too bad on two counts though...you missed the larger doe (lotta meat) and shot the button buck (Let Him Go so He Can Grow).  There must be a lot of mature shootable bucks in your area then, right?  I suffer from too few bucks but a boat load of does.

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 02:57:11 AM »
We do have a fair number of mature bucks but very nocturnal seen on the camera or during gun season running very fast :D

Don't know how I missed that big doe but that does happen!  I thought the one I took was a doe, the scope on the xbow isn't very good glass and its hard to pick out those very small buttons.  Nearly the last week of the season and with my mistakes and poor luck this year I am calling it the jinx year in my notes.

Will definitely try the Rage again next year and see what happens. We do have mature hardwoods adjacent to this field, not a great acorn crop this year but fair I guess.

Joe