Author Topic: Model 70 Value  (Read 1759 times)

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Model 70 Value
« on: January 23, 2008, 09:45:21 AM »
I've been offered an older Model 70.  It has a 54xxx serial number and do not know when it was made.  I also have a M70 with a G107xxxx serial number purchased new in 1971 so I am curious as to when the older one was made. 

This rifle has been cutomized.  The stock is a heavy bench rest affair.  The rifle has been re-barrelled with a Hart Rifle Barrel in 30-06.  The barrel is a bull barrel with a recessed crown and it has a target trigger.  I can count the number of shots fired through this barrel, as the previous owner kept meticulous records, and they aren't that many............. There are a couple of different sets of sights for it and it has been drilled and tapped for a scope.

What would this be worth????  Thanks for your help.  Mikey.

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: Model 70 Value
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 01:57:44 PM »
The older M70 was made in 1945-46, right after the end of WWII, when Winchester resumed commercial production, wholesale.

Since it's been extensively altered from it's original configuration, guide books and auction prices are of not much use in determining the value - which is what someone will pay for customized target rifle, built on a pre-64 M70 action.

I know where there's a totally original Pre-64 M70 Gopher Special .220 Swift, that's had no takers in the last six months it's been F/S in a gun store for the mid teens.  Yes, the action has a couple of old side scope mount screws holes that would have doubled the gun's value if they weren't there - but still, it is what it is.
There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 01:35:32 AM »
Rangr44 - Sorry, I never thanked you for the information you provided but I do appreciate the input.

The issue of the stripper clip guides kinda throws me.  The barrel maker, HART, who barreled the rifle identified the rifle as a pre-war M70 but I wonder why????

Would those stripper clip guides indicate a war-time production rifle destined for military service and if so, what service??  Were Winchesters used for sniper rifles???? 

What good would stripper clip guides have been with a scoped sniper rifle???  Thanks. Mikey.

Offline Rangr44

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 05:34:54 AM »
Ya didn't mention the clip slots, before, Mikey - IMHO, that makes it an early M70 Target.

BTW - I know I mentioned immediately Post-war earlier, but it's easier to tell by the top rear tang of the rifle - as it could be Pre-war, since M70's were made since ca.1937, IIRC.

If it has what's referred to as a "cloverleaf" tang, it's Pre-war, IIRC - the tang tapers down from the action sides to just ahead of the tang screw, where it straightens out & goes rearward to wrap the tang screw.

Later, M70's tangs were a straight, arcing, taper from the action sides to past the rear of the tang screw.

Does it have the early, bolt-top "wing" safety, or has it been changed with the trigger ?
There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 01:51:57 AM »
Rangr44:  Nope!  She's still got the wing safety, which also makes it look neat. 

When I looked more closely at the bolt for a take-down approach I noticed a small screw that I am assuming is an upgrade from the Mauser plunger system for bolt body disassembly.  I am going to assume this is a factory design, not something aftermarket - Yes???

Offline Rangr44

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 02:36:26 AM »
I've never disassembled a Pre-war M-70 bolt, but I would presume it comes apart after being cocked & the safety applied.

Some bolt designs do require pressure against the sear face, to slightly withdraw it from engagement with the cocking cam in the bolt body, to screw it out.

Offline bustedknee

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 07:50:30 PM »
What would this be worth????  Thanks for your help.  Mikey.

This site may be of interest:

http://aaa-webs.com/aaa/webs/homestead/courses/win70/default.htm

Offline Keith L

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 09:18:00 PM »
I was going to add this to the stickies until I got to the end of the appraisal process and found there is a charge for the service. 
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Benjamin Franklin