Author Topic: Gun show disappointment  (Read 746 times)

Offline jrdudas

• Trade Count: (0)
Gun show disappointment
« on: January 23, 2008, 10:56:26 AM »
I am not a veteran gun show attender mostly because their location and dates are usually not good for me.  However, there was a rare local gun show this past weekend that I checked out.  What a disappointment; there were between 40 and 50 vendors and their prices were way too high for most things.  I am a SASS shooter and there was not even one Winchester 1897 or replica to be found.  Also no 1897 Marlin's or replicas.  There were a few SxS, but very few handguns.  I use Ruger Blackhawks in .357 in the Senior division and there were a few of those at the show.   

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
Re: Gun show disappointment
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 11:17:37 AM »
I've probably been to 5-6 gun shows over the years... maybe more... I've never found them to be particularly helpful.  They seem to me to be more geared towards low budget shooters than sportsmen.  I tend to look for nice sporting arms which often aren't well represented.  Most tables are selling cheap autos, assault rifles, gear for wanna-be swat teams, or surplus stuff.  I simply don't have a lot of interest in those things.  Each time I've gone I've been looking for (among other things) nice Model 12s, and each time I've left empty handed.

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 12:16:04 PM »
In my experience that is fairly typical.  To me a gun show is good to pick up reloading components.  The last gun show I went to I was able to purchase 3 sets of dies; 1 of them a carbide set for just a few dollars more than what a new set of carbide dies would have cost.  Every once in a great while you'll find a good deal on a particular firearm.  I've noticed the local show has really gone down hill with a lot of nick-nack vendors, jewelry, and more jerky than you can shake a stick at.  I've heard some of the Dallas shows are much better, but haven't had the opportunity.

Offline RaySendero

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 12:39:59 PM »
In my experience that is fairly typical.  To me a gun show is good to pick up reloading components.  The last gun show I went to I was able to purchase 3 sets of dies; 1 of them a carbide set for just a few dollars more than what a new set of carbide dies would have cost.  Every once in a great while you'll find a good deal on a particular firearm.  I've noticed the local show has really gone down hill with a lot of nick-nack vendors, jewelry, and more jerky than you can shake a stick at.  I've heard some of the Dallas shows are much better, but haven't had the opportunity.

DITTO!

But... would recommend the Houston Area GCA in May & October
    Ray

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 03:18:01 PM »
Thanks Ray.  I forgot about Houston having good shows and it's just about as far as Dallas is.

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 03:55:27 AM »
I have not been i about 4-5 years but they usually have a show in Ft. Worth or Dallas about
every other month, that were pretty good they have more but the ones in Market Hall
in Dallas and Will Rogers in Ft. Worth are the big ones I have been to some in Ft. Worth
that you could not see it all in one day, But don't remember any real bargins.
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 05:24:26 AM »
around here it depends on the show and who puts it on , we have about 30 close enough to go to !
anyway some shows are better than others . some are for military items etc .
if you go often you learn what vender's will be at each show often they will give out a schedule of shows they attend .
about half around here are little more than junk sales , but then we have some with several Colt dealers and Winchester dealers .
as far as prices HAGGLE !!!!!!!!!!!! and late the last day seems to be when most deal !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 05:56:34 AM »
Shootall
That is the way it was here, when i was going, some good some bad, but the last day
was usually the day to make deals. You have to remember some of these people make a living working the shows, like a mobile gun dealer some have shops.
If you run into the guys that just go to trade or sell 1-2 times a year you can maybe make a good deal. For years i would not miss a show in Ft. Worth then it just kinda got old, and i got tired
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 07:09:10 AM »
the hey day was when the cops went to autos and the revolvers hit the shows , seemed like military sup. hit about the same time . Most deals today are sellers who are hurting for cash or other guys just coming to trade or sell .

Offline toysoldier

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 03:10:36 PM »
Just got back from a small gun show in Wichita. Not a lot of interest, but I did find a LH pancake holster for my .38 snubbie, for only $5. The selection of guns was pretty disappointing. I missed the much larger show that has a very good selection of just about everything.

Offline jhm

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 03:55:54 AM »
The best deals are on Friday Night before the Saturday opener, Try to get with a local dealer and Volenteer to help him for FREE if he can get you in on FRIDAY night, There are 3 of us that go to every show we can in the area, and we go to Tulsa twice a year, I look for mostly old odd reloading equip. one looks for old black powder guns, the originals, and the other has so much money he buys anything the other 2 say is a nice unusual piece, (just kidding) he buys the higher end collectable guns.   JIM

Offline rk4570

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 07:29:04 AM »
The Shows  here in Portland have really gone down hill ! Too much Junk.

What really burns me up is the $5.00 parking & $10.00 entry fees!
Soooo I just quit going!
I spent a lot of money on Guns, Wild Horses & Wilder Women but I guess I just wasted all the rest!

Offline Foggy

• Trade Count: (40)
  • A Real Regular
  • If you die first we're going to split up your gear
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 08:59:40 AM »
I've been lucky. Last 2 shows I found 2 guns I wanted and got. But the local show had to change locations, and has went down hill. I think the amount of lookers to buys is part of it.Money is tight ,fuel is high. To some it's not worth the time ,travel and labor and expense. Buy the space, load your van, unload set up .You see where I'am going. Dealers Tend to jack up prices.and alot of newbies to gun shows don't haggle, and alot of deals won't anymore either  a ten dollar drop is alot to them . and frankly alot of people expect everything to be dirt cheap. They are a dieing venue, like the gun shop you can walk into and get a Lyman receiver sight. or a box of ammo for your 30-40Krag. I think we are going to become a big box sporting good store and mail order customers. the old time gun shops and the good gun shows will be a rare thing.
Walk softly carry a big stick and never walk away  T.R.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 09:13:01 AM »
went to a show sat. in Roanoke Va. a 3 hr. drive from home . nice show found  a few deals .
but the ATF had a booth there , people were selling candy , fruit , nuts and berries , earings and other stuff !
part of it felt like a flea-market !