Author Topic: lab retriever in my trash, challenged me  (Read 3471 times)

Offline bluebayou

• Trade Count: (0)
lab retriever in my trash, challenged me
« on: January 25, 2008, 08:28:03 AM »
There is a full grown yellow lab that has been getting in my trash for a YEAR now.  I use bungee cord on trashcan to keep him out most of time.  Dog is a nuisance.  Gets in everyone's trash on our cul-de-sac.  Dog lives in next neighborhood over and cuts through field into our neighborhood every afternoon.

Dog started challenging me in my yard last week.  If I make eye contact with him now he charges to......say 20 feet and barks then circles off.  He growls and lunges at me when I open the back door to chase him off my deck. 

I have a 6 year old and a 2 year old. 

When should I shoot this dog?  I am working in Texas now so I am gone 5 days a week.  I am going to Animal Control today after I get the boy from Kindergarten to ask them what the legal answer is.

I live in town.  Is a small town.  Dog's probable owner is grandmother of nextdoor neighbor, so I would have to be..........discreet.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: lab retriever in my trash, challenged me
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 09:37:33 AM »
why not just throw away something that might be bad if the dog went in the trash and got it?  not like you would be doing anything illegal, you would just be throwning out your garbage.
   something to think about.   be smart.

Offline NONYA

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 09:52:19 AM »
Shoot it and put it in that trash can.
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 10:14:41 AM »
LOL

I went to the police station today after getting kid at school.  I asked the cops to come look for him on Monday when the Animal Control guy comes back.

I asked the policeman what would happen if I shot the dog.  He said that the worst case scenario is that the owners would want restitution and that he would have to file on me for discharging a firearm in the city limits.

Reading between the lines he didn't seem too concerned unless the owners found out. 

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 10:20:39 AM »
i hate it for ANY dog or anything else for that matter that mistakenly thinks it is going to bully me at my house.   just be careful whatever action you take doesnt get you into trouble.

Offline Hammerspur

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 10:55:40 AM »
I think if you know who owns the dog you should inform them of the danger they're allowing this animal to present... or at least let the authorities know who owns it and ask them to address this with them.

Yellow labs are usually pretty d'-ed nice dogs but if the owner is irresponsible enough to let it run free doing whatever it wants they ought to get served notice loud and clear... it's THEIR fault!
Steve
Of course guns are dangerous... if they weren't they wouldn't be good for anything!

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 02:21:37 PM »
Is there a leash law in your town?  If so call animal control to have it picked up.  The owner will have to pay a hefty fine to get it back.  When the owner gets tiered of posting bail they either leave the dog at the pound or make sure it is tied up.  Either way problem solved.  Animal control could probably provide you with a loaner "have a heart" trap to catch it.   I've gone that route before myself.     
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 02:37:14 PM »
There have been some good points made here. I can tell you from expericence that shooting it is not the answer. Long story short I about went to jail for shooting a neibhbors cat that loved to run around on my new truck. It left a lot of scratches. I think you should try to talk to the owner. If that does not work consider packing rat poison in some ground meat. That way you are rid of your problem and you were just throwing out your trash. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline Beers

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 04:20:03 PM »
When should I shoot this dog?

If not for your unique predicament, my answer would have been "last year".

Because of where you live, and the likelihood that the neighbor is the owner's grandmother, the poisoned burger gets the nod from me. No sense taking the risk of shooting the damn thing in city limits, getting in trouble for disposing of this animal would definitely be adding injury to injury.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 04:59:46 PM »
I've shot many dogs and cats, sometimes with no problems, other times it got quite interesting.  Talking to the owner is not the answer in my opinion, they never would believe that their dog would act like that.  If it does it's your fault, you have probably done something to make it like that. 

Had a buddy that had a problem with his neighbor's German Shepard.  Neighbor said his dog would never threaten anyone, even though the dog had grabbed Lou twice, but was unable to bite through his heavy clothing.  I suggested that Lou needed to check his Anti-freeze one evening.  Over the weekend Lou put his truck in the garage and started the drain on his radiator late one night.  When someone called he went inside the house to talk to his caller.  When he returned to the garage the dog was lapping up the Anti-freeze from the pan under the truck.  Lou ran the dog out and closed his garage door.  The next morning the neighbors found their dog dead on the back porch where it usually slept.

Ethelyn Glycol type Anti-freeze is a sweet tasting poison, that will kill a dog.  So will Rat Poison. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2008, 05:12:41 PM »
Seems like some of us agree. To be honest I love my dogs and would be real pissed off if someone killed them. The thing is I never put my dogs in that place. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

Offline shooter

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2008, 09:21:10 PM »
Bluebayou ,

I would give the owner a polite heads up that you're concerned that this dog will bite one of your kids since it doesn't mind being aggressive with you.Remain calm when speaking with the owner.Some dog owners value their dogs more than their neighbors and might start something with you.I'd also consider writing him a letter and keeping a copy of it for yourself.In the meantime they have neat little gadgets out there to control pests such as deer /coons.Some of these things hook to your garden hose and are motion activated.When the dog breaks the beam,he gets startled with a blast of water.Some of these gadgets hook to a can of compressed air or a loud horn such as they bring to football games.Just go on line and search under pest control then if you find something you think might work,try to find it locally at a hardware store or Tractor supply.I was researching these things for a friend who's having bear/trash problems and ended up solving my chipmunk in the garden problem by buying a product called ratzapper 2000.It uses 4 AA batteries and shocks the rat/mouse/chipmunk/squirrel stopping its heart instantly.I took 9 chippies out of my wife's flower garden.The final straw was when they chewed wires on my truck while it sat idle for my one week vacation to Florida.
Shooter
Shooter

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2008, 02:36:16 AM »
Pepper spray?  Dog first, owner as needed?
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline Chilachuck

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2008, 05:05:15 AM »
He is starting to treat your yard as his territory or he does not have a sense of territory. You can try to teach him otherwise, your (or maybe one of the neighbors' kids) can get bit, the dog gets tied up, or the dog dies.

That last might be the best choice as the territory instinct is genetic. You don't want any pups around that cannot behave.

Offline Sheila

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2008, 06:01:01 AM »
If there is a leash law where you live, you have the right to kill that dog. I came very close last summer to killing a few dogs. Anti-freeze, rat poison, or chocolate  would work. But if that dog is attacking you, grab him by throat chock, or spread his front legs and break his sternum.
[

United we stand against Ovomit.

Offline Brett

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2008, 01:13:23 PM »
Pepper spray?  Dog first, owner as needed?

:D

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2008, 02:10:46 PM »
I appreciate everyone's input.  There was a lot of things mentioned that I did not consider.  I don't think that I will invest in any motion sensitive kind of stuff.  Pepper spray is something that I have been meaning to buy anyway, so I will definately try that.

That being said my take on the bigger issue of loose dogs is this: 
there is a leash law
I don't like dogs
it is my yard
they are my kids

I am sick of everyone's irresponisble behavior.  This is a large aggressive dog that is let loose twice a day.  I have spoken to the neighbors about the dog before (about a year ago).  I have spoken to the cops, so I think that my bases are covered.  As aggressive as most people in McCurtain County seem to be, I don't really want to go to the probable owners' house. 

I do lean toward the tainted meat/ethylene glycol theory.  My FIL said to shoot him with this Gamo pellet gun (in the gut). 

I might have fired some Super Colibri 22's in town a few months ago and go a ricochet that scared the crap out of me.  They work well on raccoons, by the way.

I am going with pepper spray, I think.  My karma won't be polluted by another death.  Maybe this stupid dog just needs to learn territory like Chilachuck says.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2008, 02:28:56 PM »
I appreciate everyone's input.  There was a lot of things mentioned that I did not consider.  I don't think that I will invest in any motion sensitive kind of stuff.  Pepper spray is something that I have been meaning to buy anyway, so I will definately try that.

That being said my take on the bigger issue of loose dogs is this: 
there is a leash law
I don't like dogs
it is my yard
they are my kids

I am sick of everyone's irresponisble behavior.  This is a large aggressive dog that is let loose twice a day.  I have spoken to the neighbors about the dog before (about a year ago).  I have spoken to the cops, so I think that my bases are covered.  As aggressive as most people in McCurtain County seem to be, I don't really want to go to the probable owners' house. 

I do lean toward the tainted meat/ethylene glycol theory.  My FIL said to shoot him with this Gamo pellet gun (in the gut). 

I might have fired some Super Colibri 22's in town a few months ago and go a ricochet that scared the crap out of me.  They work well on raccoons, by the way.

I am going with pepper spray, I think.  My karma won't be polluted by another death.  Maybe this stupid dog just needs to learn territory like Chilachuck says.
I have never heard of this term. Who is? My FIL said to shoot him with this Gamo pellet gun (in the gut). 
Thanks Dale

Offline Brett

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2008, 02:38:19 PM »
FIL = father-in-law I believe 

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2008, 02:40:35 PM »
Thanks Dale

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2008, 02:41:23 PM »
Shoot at the lab. It should scare it away or use the pellet rifle.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline robert4570

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2008, 02:44:59 PM »
Shoot it and put it in that trash can.

LMFAO , Thats the first thing I thought of when I read the topic.

Buddy of mine had the same problem , he lives in suburb so a firearm was not an option.
However , he remembered one time playing paint ball combat games with his kid and remember the VERY painful welts he received while on his loosing streak . Next time the dog came by starting trouble he lit his a$$ up with the semi-auto paint ball gun. The dog  let out the loudest yelp he ever heard and before he could back on his feet he was covered in blue and red spots all over , and especially around  nuts as he ran away.

Never seen him again , till this day doesn't know if it worked or the dog got run over while running for his life.
Worth a try , humane solution and wont get you arrested like shooting city limits can.
Good Luck
NRA BENEFACTOR
United Sportsmen of America

Offline Brett

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2008, 03:27:14 PM »
The dog is just doing pretty much what dogs do naturally i.e., defending what it thinks is his territory.  It's the dog's owners who I blame for letting the dog run loose and unattended.  Personally, I would try Animal Control or the Sheriff's Dept. first.  Then if they fail to do their job do what you got to do... Mace it, poison it, whatever.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2008, 03:37:50 PM »
  There used to be a very aggressive pit bull living in my neighborhood. The dog was fenced but was working on digging his way out. I had heard there was a rumor in the neighborhood that someone tied up a fist sized piece of sponge and soaked it in bacon grease and threw it in the yard. All I know is that dog is no longer around. Sad part of it all is , is that the owner is the one at fault not the dog.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2008, 03:42:14 PM »
We had a pit bull that kept coming around here. He tried to attack me and did about kill another one of my beagles. I grabbed the 45-70 and shot him once. Never had any problems since.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2008, 06:20:46 PM »
Reminds me of that line in Lonesome Dove about a how a plank wall won't stop a buffalo rifle............but a dentist will.

45/70 would probably do the trick

Offline Hammerspur

• A Real Regular
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2008, 02:42:55 AM »
To this dog lover it's good to see many reasoned and humane suggestions, as stated this problem is the OWNER'S doing. Poor dog doesn't know any better on his own... he may be a helluva' good dog if not running loose and having to revert to his instincts for "survival" as he's able to see it.

I found a sick abandoned Bull Mastiff years back, left out in the woods of my Rod & Gun Club. With veterinary help ($$$$) we nursed him back. Called him "Bronson".
Since we were usually not home working we decided another big dog, female, would be humane for his company... dogs aren't meant to be loners.
Ended up adopting a St. Bernard from a neighboring animal shelter we named "Gretchen". This young dog had been reported for several months running loose around the farms in nearby MA, apparently homeless and living off the land. She was cornered by 5 or 6 men, animal rescue guys who couldn't get anywhere near to collar/leash her... but the female supervisor of the Dept. was able to calm her and bring her in safely.

Always struck me she must have been abused by some jerk who originally owned the dog, who may have dumped her somewhere far from home... or maybe things were bad enough she simply ran off.

She was the finest dog I've ever owned: loyal, sweet, gentle, attentive and SMART! Awesome watch dog, easily taught and learned how to let herself out my back storm door AND the cap on the back of my pickup if some stranger was lurking about. She never hurt anyone but made it clear they'd better get lost if she didn't know them!

I've had more dogs since then, all adopted, three right now. But I do miss those two hulks to this day.

My latest bunch: L to R, Jelly, Dondi, Buie:
Steve
Of course guns are dangerous... if they weren't they wouldn't be good for anything!

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2008, 03:09:23 AM »
Is the dog getting into ONLY your garbage? How is your garbage secured? Does the dog growl at you AFTER you show aggression toward him? Labs are pretty easy going.  How about your neighbors? Does he get in their trash?  Have you complained to the cops? Have you told them it is not only a nuisance but a peril? If so, you shouldn't have to confront the owner, they should. Have your complained to the animal control people?  If there is a leash law, they should be enforcing it. If the dog doesn't have a collar and tags then it's a stray and a rabies threat. If it does have tags, they can trace it thru them.  I'd be on the phone every time it came onto my property.
Me personally, I don't hold with poisoning dogs or putting out antifreeze or any of the other underhanded tricks people talk about. I do like the idea of a pellet gun in the ass or a paint ball in the nuts but if you're gonna kill the dog, have enough balls to stand up and blow his brains out.  Why make him suffer because his owner is a jerk. 

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2008, 05:21:50 AM »
Dude, you misunderstand a few things.  I am not and animal hater or a dog hater.  I just don't like dogs.  We never had one as kids.  It is no big deal either way.  My inlaws have 2 great dogs.  I, personally, just don't dig dogs.  Second, I know that you are a cut to the chase kind of guy, but it isn't a question of not having the balls to kill a dog.  You are entitled to your opinion, but I am not go to list my prior confrontations with neighbors or animals.  If I say that I don't want a richocet then I don't want a ricochet.

I am kind of uneasy about poisoning an animal and that is why I will use the pepper spray first.  The animal control guys are going to try a trap first, so that is good.

And, no, I am not challenging this dog.  I am a live and let live kind of guy.  All that I have done is to make eyecontact with the dog.  I understand that this can be interpreted as aggression.  But the dog is different now.  On my deck growling at me and charging across the street at me when I went to my mailbox are escalations.  My kids WILL run from this dog.  They aren't scared of dogs due to the inlaws, bu this dog is aggressive.

Offline 351 power

• A Real Regular
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2008, 12:48:59 PM »
first priority: kids
second priority:personal safety
third priority:public safety
fourth priority: dog's wellbeing
if the animal control people don't imediately take charge you need to take action
the owners who would leave a dog to it's own will are not going to listen to polite talk and take action
i think pepper spray may only make an agressive/territorial dog worse...but it is worth trying
just be prepared to use some antifreeze burger if the dog keeps coming back
i wouldn't fire a firearm in town either; too much at stake
every day is a gift. use it well

colour is a symbol of where you are from and not of who you are