Author Topic: lab retriever in my trash, challenged me  (Read 3480 times)

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: lab retriever in my trash, challenged me
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2008, 02:22:52 PM »
I recommend making friends with the dog. Food is a good start. Then perhaps a long drive in the country. Might even take a gun, in case you want to take'em huntin.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline bluebayou

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2008, 02:28:30 PM »
You sir, are a sly old rascal.

Offline Dee

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2008, 03:57:37 PM »
Old rascal yes. Sly? Does that rhyme with sneaky. I'm almost 60, and I have yet to find a cooperative dog owner that lets his dog roam. He lets the dog roam because he (the owner) the owner is lazy, and doesn't care about it (the dog) bothering his neighbors. If you contact the police, most of the time the owner either promises cooperation, and doesn't mean it, or he gets mad. Either way, YOU get mad, because you tried to do the right thing, and the dog owner basically said screw you, and blames you for being a jerk.
SO! DON'T CALL ANYONE. Go quietly about your business, and take care of it. Know one will ever know the difference if you keep your mouth shut. This by the way works equally well on cats, except I use a trap. I just don't tell anyone. They know it's against the law, and THEY DON'T CARE.
Cat or dog goes missing. Problem solved.
I once had a slightly larger than normal Miniature Pincher whom I swear had a trash pick schedule, and could read it. I caught him going thru my trash, and tried to run him off. He in turn, tried to run me off. I'm a retired K9 trainer, and I don't run easily from dogs. Besides, I'm old. I simply introduced him to Huff. Huff is my Jack Russell, and Huff does not play well with others. A month later the Pincher had healed and came back for dinner on trash day. I let Huff play a little longer this time, and he hasn't been back. Did I mention that Huff doesn't play well with others. ;)

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2008, 04:48:24 AM »
Non of my remarks were directed at you nor anyone for that matter.  I just didn't agree with some of the suggestioned solutions made by some of the posters.
I think Dee hit it on the head. Slob pet owners, like slob parents and slob anythings are gonna keep on doing what they do as long as they can get away with it.  And probably laugh at you behind your back and tell stories about their weinie neighbors at work.  This is why, after a couple of attempts at being a nice guy, you might as well forget about that course of action. 
If the dog is aggravating the other neighbors but they're sitting back and letting you be the point man, I'd stop that too and get them involved. 
I really like the idea of sending him home with a couple of bright red splats of paint on his privates. Does that stuff wash off?

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2008, 05:47:26 AM »
I think i would ck back with the animal control to see what they are doing, every time i saw the dog running loose. It is one thing to try and be a good neighbor ( you have to live with them) but is another thing to be held captive in your own house because they won't
control their dog, when a child gets bit or worse, the police will say we were trying, the owner will say i am so sorry. The child will never forget it, maybe have nitemares for a long
time. What happens when you are out of town?
SORRY i know what i would do and would not even tell my wife.
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline plumberroy

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2008, 07:57:33 AM »
Wrist rocket slingshot + .440 roundball  [I would have said flipjack but last time I used that term there where several post guessing what a flipjack was] solid thump to center mass usually convinces dogs that your yard ain't the place to be. I once told the cheif of police that since I have called the dog warden and he didn't seen to want to do his job the next time A certain problem dog showed up I was going to put an arrow through it dog warden was there in about 20 minutes with a trap
Every breath I take as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2008, 08:05:37 AM »
like was said,  your kid's safety comes first.   like de said, irresponsible owners are just that and aint likely to change.  take the trash out, and dont feel bad.   

it really is that simple.

Offline gypsyman

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2008, 11:56:04 AM »
Wrist rocket and BB gun is how I cured that problem a couple times. In the mean time, until you actually teach the dog a lesson, just to keep from having to pick up trash, a pump spray bottle mixed 50/50 with ammonia and water, sprayed all over the trash cans usually slows down a pesky critter from helping themselves to dinner. I carried one in my early teens once, as there was a German sheperd that lived at this one house and use to chase us kids on bicycle's. A face full of 50/50 mix, and all he ever did after that was run about half way out to the street and bark. It's all about attitude adjustment!!  gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline plumberroy

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2008, 01:17:39 PM »
Wrist rocket and BB gun is how I cured that problem a couple times. In the mean time, until you actually teach the dog a lesson, just to keep from having to pick up trash, a pump spray bottle mixed 50/50 with ammonia and water, sprayed all over the trash cans usually slows down a pesky critter from helping themselves to dinner. I carried one in my early teens once, as there was a German sheperd that lived at this one house and use to chase us kids on bicycle's. A face full of 50/50 mix, and all he ever did after that was run about half way out to the street and bark. It's all about attitude adjustment!!  gypsyman
A spray bottle with some serious hot sauce and water and a dab of dish liquid aso works well to keep critters out
Roy
Every breath I take as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier

Offline kevthebassman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2008, 01:50:22 PM »
I'd stay away from anything like pepper spray or paintballs that leave obvious evidence that the animal has had an encounter, as well as poison.  Basically I'd stay away from anything that leaves any evidence that anything has happened. The wrist rocket would work, as well as a BB gun, but I wouldn't use a pellet gun as that could lead to a vet visit for the dog where a pellet would be discovered in an x-ray, and that along with your complaints could lead to a finger pointing at you.

If the wrist rocket doesn't get the message across, I'd make friends and take the dog for a little ride in the country followed by a dirtnap.

Offline plumberroy

• Contributor
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2008, 04:37:23 PM »
the mixture I gave is to spray on the trash to keep the dog out. can be sprayed on most plants also to keep critters from eating them spray it on the ground for cats to make them find a new restroom  find some hot sauce at 3/4 of a million S.U. or more   of heat put 1-2 teaspoons of it in a spray bottle a tablespoon of dawn dish liquid [makes the pepper sauce stick]  fill the bottle with water  spray trash, plants, etc. that you don't  want animals to bother  I have used it  to keep dogs and cats out of the garbage  and squirrels out of the the flower beds

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2008, 01:32:23 AM »
Do what you have to do.....but do it covertly......

Remember, dogs have more rights than people now days........just ask Mike Vick!
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2008, 03:45:43 AM »
Do what you have to do.....but do it covertly......

Remember, dogs have more rights than people now days...

Exactly!
Here's a story that proves just that: http://wweek.com/___ALL_OLD_HTML/law100400.html
The story is highly biased in favor of the dog owner in this case and omits the frustration of the "dog killer" dealing with these dogs day in and day out, as the owner let the dogs run freely throughout the area.
In Oregon it's the SSS method now used. If you have called animal control, the sheriff or the owner complaining about the dogs and something dreadful happens to the dog, you have automatically put yourself as suspect #1.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2008, 04:56:49 AM »
Even here in the "Heart of Dixie" aka Alabama things have gotten so bad that they made it a felony NOT a misdemenor to harm or kill dogs and cats. That's why I stay out of these kinda discussions these days. It has become quite a serious matter around here to even think of messing with them. Plus I have a neighbor who althou they've killed their share of cats and a few dogs since we moved here now have taken to reporting me as the culprit regardless of who might be at fault.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2008, 04:13:03 PM »
I think that I will mail a letter to the police captain that I talked to about the dog saying that I want the dog taken care of.

It might not mean anything, but at least there will be some footprints showing that I have tried other means to deal with this dog.

I am glad that I posted this question, not just for the MEANS of how to get rid of the dog, but I honestly never considered the LEGALITY of killing the dog.  I was concerned about discharging a rifle in the city, but I didn't consider it being illegal to kill the dog...........if that makes sense.

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2008, 04:22:10 PM »
I think that I will mail a letter to the police captain that I talked to about the dog saying that I want the dog taken care of.

It might not mean anything, but at least there will be some footprints showing that I have tried other means to deal with this dog.

I am glad that I posted this question, not just for the MEANS of how to get rid of the dog, but I honestly never considered the LEGALITY of killing the dog.  I was concerned about discharging a rifle in the city, but I didn't consider it being illegal to kill the dog...........if that makes sense.
It makes perfect sense. If you were to shoot the dog please refer the section of the forum that asks is a slingshot adequate for deer. You need to do this quietly!!!!!!! Shoot, shovel, shut up. That would be all the better for you. Just don't be stupid about this. Like I said in the beginning of the post. I about went to jail for shooting a cat off the hood of my truck. Please don't go through that. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2008, 04:23:34 PM »
http://www.animallaw.info/

I found this website which purports to list all animal related laws in US.

Like Bill mentioned in the Heart of Dixie, it is apparently a felony to "This Oklahoma statute provides that anyone who willfully or maliciously overdrives, overloads, tortures, destroys or kills, or cruelly beats or injures, maims or mutilates any animal "

Strangely it defines a "potentially dangerous dog" as one that has ALREADY bitten a person or other dog without being provoked.  What the crap?  So the dog has to bite one of us first?

It is apparently illegal to let it run free too.  Good thing.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2008, 06:10:53 PM »
I hate to say it but you need to do what you need to do.  I am a Lab lover and hate to see you get rid of it but I have never known one to be hostile.  Well I would try the bitter Apple spray on the trash cans first and a spray bottle of cayenne pepper water.  Second is I would let the people know that the dog has been growling.
We had a dog that was growling at my neighbors kids that came from some other house  when the hot water gun did not work  I grabbed the dog stuck a note on it that said "I have been growling at kids and If I do it again I will not return"  I wrote it out folded it in 3rds and stapled it over the collar.
I saw the dog the next day and 2 .22 Mag shots ended the problem.  Mailed the collar back to the tag address with another note.  Sorry you did not listen.

Offline Dee

« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2008, 03:55:35 AM »
I hate to say it but you need to do what you need to do.  I am a Lab lover and hate to see you get rid of it but I have never known one to be hostile.  Well I would try the bitter Apple spray on the trash cans first and a spray bottle of cayenne pepper water.  Second is I would let the people know that the dog has been growling.
We had a dog that was growling at my neighbors kids that came from some other house  when the hot water gun did not work  I grabbed the dog stuck a note on it that said "I have been growling at kids and If I do it again I will not return"  I wrote it out folded it in 3rds and stapled it over the collar.
I saw the dog the next day and 2 .22 Mag shots ended the problem.  Mailed the collar back to the tag address with another note.  Sorry you did not listen.

mcwoodduck, I like the labs also, but have seen some labs that were drug dogs, AND cross trained for handler protection, and suspect apprehension. These labs were pretty intense. Dogs of ANY breed have their own personaliity, and many times BREED has nothing to do with behavior.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2008, 04:11:37 AM »
get animal control to leave a trap in your yard and call when the trap is full of lab .
or catch and duct tape a note to it that the owner should keep it at home , use alot of duct tape ( so note will stay on )
!
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Dee

« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2008, 04:18:59 AM »
get animal control to leave a trap in your yard and call when the trap is full of lab .
or catch and duct tape a note to it that the owner should keep it at home , use alot of duct tape ( so note will stay on )
!

LOL! SHOOTALL, with all due respect, I believe he stated the dog is aggressive. Are you volunteering to attach the note? I would but, the dog would have to be assisted back home. Clandestinely of course. ;D

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2008, 04:35:42 AM »
Clandestinely of course. ;D

Dee, you are a simple fellow, yet a complex fellow all at the same time. And I do enjoy reading your post.

GB...it's ashame that you get reported for being the one who is harming the cats even if your not the one who is doing it. Well, only one solution to that. Since your going to deny it anyway, may as well get the barrel dirty.  :o

Dave

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2008, 04:45:44 AM »
you will love my other idea , block of a sheet of metal off the ground with wood blocks and attach the neutral side of an extension cord to it !
Then set a trash can on some wood blocks on the sheet of metal , attach the positive wire of the cord to the can !
and plug in !
don't forget to un-plug before putting trash in can !

Offline Dee

« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2008, 05:18:45 AM »
Now your injecting ENTERTAIMENT, into problem solving. Is that allowed, or even moral? Hell yes!! Let's do it! ;D

Offline Dee

« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2008, 05:28:29 AM »
Clandestinely of course. ;D

Dee, you are a simple fellow, yet a complex fellow all at the same time. And I do enjoy reading your post.

Do you mean "simple" or "simpleton"? There is a difference, and at times I could be both. ;D The truth of the matter, is my 20 years in L.E. was actually a "crash course on life", and common sense, almost always works, if one takes time to think about the goal we are trying to attain.
In this particular case, the dog owner ALREADY KNOWS the rules on dogs a large, and has CHOSEN to ignore them. Solution? Strive for finality on solving the problem with the LEAST amount of turbulence in the community. Given this scenario I have found CLANDESTINE to be the solution. ;)

GB...it's ashame that you get reported for being the one who is harming the cats even if your not the one who is doing it. Well, only one solution to that. Since your going to deny it anyway, may as well get the barrel dirty.  :o

Dave

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2008, 05:38:59 AM »
knew ya'll would like it !

Offline unspellable

• A Real Regular
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2008, 08:33:39 AM »
Used to shoot one with a one of those primer propelled plastic bullets.  He'd stay away for about two weeks then be back in the trash again so it was a regular routine.

For poison, I'd consider a big dose of chocolate.  Nobody can complain if you leave it in the trash.  It generally will not kill a dog, but will cause "explosive decompression".  With a little luck, this might occur in the owner's living room

Offline Dee

« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2008, 08:37:29 AM »
Depends on if it is milk chocolate, or bakers chocolate. The milk chocolate will simple give him more energy, to scatter trash. The other may be fatal.

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2008, 09:00:32 AM »
Do you mean "simple" or "simpleton"? There is a difference, and at times I could be both.

Dee, I'm pretty choosy with the words that I use....or at least I try to be. If I meant to say "simpleton", I would have said it. However, I chose "simple". That didn't imply that you were a simple man or that your thoughts were simple. Anyone who reads your post can figure that out. No, "simple" meant you would choose the "most obvious, and least agitating path" to get the job done.

Dave

Offline Dee

« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2008, 09:05:17 AM »
Do you mean "simple" or "simpleton"? There is a difference, and at times I could be both.

Dee, I'm pretty choosy with the words that I use....or at least I try to be. If I meant to say "simpleton", I would have said it. However, I chose "simple". That didn't imply that you were a simple man or that your thoughts were simple. Anyone who reads your post can figure that out. No, "simple" meant you would choose the "most obvious, and least agitating path" to get the job done.

Dave

Yea, I know what ya meant, Davemuzz, I was just jackin wich ya. :D