Author Topic: lab retriever in my trash, challenged me  (Read 3472 times)

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: lab retriever in my trash, challenged me
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2008, 10:57:30 AM »
 ;) ;D :o

Offline toysoldier

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2008, 02:31:17 PM »
We had a problem with two aggressive labs in my little subdivision. They once came up as I parked in my drive, barking fiercely. I thought I'd have to shoot them just to get out of my truck, but they took off. Some of the neighbors had similar problems, but the dogs belonged to a deputy sheriff who didn't seem too concerned. Fortunately, one of the neighbors was friends with the sheriff, and had a little talk with him. The dogs were given to a neighbor who has a good fence. They're 200 yards away, but still bark every time I come home.

For non-lethal options, I like a wrist rocket slingshot, with special ammo. If you have clay soil, make up balls about the size of a shooter marble, and let them dry. They are light, shoot fast and straight, loose velocity before going very far, and never ricochet. They explode if they hit something, like a garbage can, dog, or cat. Most important, they leave no evidence.  ;)

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2008, 03:19:33 AM »
I like the paint ball deal. That would be a hoot! Clandestinely of course. ;D
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline panhandle

• Avid Poster
    • panhandlepr@vierizion.net
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2008, 04:32:00 AM »
Interesting thread.  I had a similar situation when I lived in Colorado.  Except I was the owner of the dog.  My neighbor came over one morning and told me my Irish Setter had been getting into their trash and had been doing it for some time.  We lived in the country and my setter wasn't restricted.  He said everyday when I left for work (swingshift supervisor) my dog would watch me leave and then head for their place.  So the next day I took off for work a little early and turned around up the road and watched.  About 5 minuites later she crossed the road and headed for the neighbors and and so did I.  With her it just took a good butt chewing from me and the problem went away.  Guess what I'm really trying to say here is that the owner needs to know before you spend alot of time and effort on this problem.  Right now you have taken ownership for the problem and it isn't your problem.  The owner needs to take that responsibility of owning the problem but can't do it unless they know they have a problem to begin with.  I think I would do everything I could so not to end up in some stupid court paying for a defense that you shouldn't even be involved in.  Everyone is sue happy today.  I would go find where that dog calls home as the first step.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2008, 03:40:08 PM »
Panhandle,

I agree with your approach to the situation being discussed. However, I have a question for you.  Why do you feel that it is okay to allow your dog to roam unrestricted just because you live in the country?

I live in the county myself and I can assure you that I don't care to step in your dogs crap any more than a city slicker would.  Nor do I like to clean up trash scattered by your pet any more than a city slicker.  And my flower beds and vegetable gardens are just as important to me as I'm sure those of a city slicker are to him.  I would also feel just as bad about running over your child's pet in the road as any city slicker would feel about doing the same. 

I'm sure your dog is a wonderful and loving pet, but consider her comfort and safety as well as that of your neighbors. 
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2008, 04:49:37 PM »
Blue;

One way to deter the dog is to make it so your trash is not palatable to him. Put a little bleach or ammonia in the closed garbage can or bag..he will soon decide that
   your garbage has no charms for him.

I lived in a rural neighborhood where neighbors were 1/3 to 1/2 mile apart..but these neighbors found they could get purebred, nice looking German Shepherds for free,
  ..they were police training flunk outs. They were big and bad..and of course ran up and down our unpaved road. I paid little attention, until one of them threatened my son ..in front of our house.
   Drawing on my childhood experience, I decided it was time to get back into Airedales..I did, and soon the German shepherds that wanted to go up and down the road were seen to be "detouring" our place by going way over in the field across the road.

I do find it humorous however, that..some of our folks in another thread, thought a Mr White should be allowed to shoot a teenager that was drunk and annoying him on his own property...yet where a dog does the same thing, ...then these same folks advise you to call the dog warden or sheriff.. :D   Kinda funny, I thought...LOL
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2008, 05:04:29 PM »
Panhandle,

I agree with your approach to the situation being discussed. However, I have a question for you.  Why do you feel that it is okay to allow your dog to roam unrestricted just because you live in the country?

I live in the county myself and I can assure you that I don't care to step in your dogs crap any more than a city slicker would.  Nor do I like to clean up trash scattered by your pet any more than a city slicker.  And my flower beds and vegetable gardens are just as important to me as I'm sure those of a city slicker are to him.  I would also feel just as bad about running over your child's pet in the road as any city slicker would feel about doing the same. 

I'm sure your dog is a wonderful and loving pet, but consider her comfort and safety as well as that of your neighbors. 

Around here the strays come from the people in the city. Many people come and figure just cause were out here in the country we love dogs. I have seen this more times than many and I have caught many people coming and letting their dogs loose on my land and then having to call the pound which takes them days to get out. If you can get the dog out of your trash without committing any crimes than that is what I would do and you can't do anything else about it unless you want to be sued in this sue crazy world. So many people today will sue you if you just make a mistake but if they find out you have done something on purpose you will be considered scum and you might as well not even try. Just try something like the sling shot or BB gun. I know there are some products you can buy to keep or repel animals away but I don't think many of them work.
 Just my 2 cents. :-\
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2008, 01:35:51 AM »
Dave;
   BTW..the ammonia works best..I think we all know what a jolt to the senses ammonia is to our nose..and of course, a dog's nose is about a million times better, so he may not even touch the garbage container...and move on to "greener pastures"..
  I raised dogs for years in a very rural area, and never let them "free roam". My dogs were all pure bred Airedales and Jack Russells and I used them for hunting as well as competition. They did not "free roam" because I didn't want them "trashing".. 
Then too; folks drove to my house to buy pups..I didn't want them driving by places that had some 1/2 Airedales and 1/2 Jack Russells running around..not good for a kennel's reputation..

Also, any sizeable dog allowed to roam will sooner or later be chasing deer..most often with "casual friends."
    Some folks actually think that if Rover is sleeping by the garage when they turn the lights out and they find him there in the morning..he has slept there all night...that's
    not necessarily so !
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline kevthebassman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2008, 02:30:19 AM »
Dave;
   BTW..the ammonia works best..I think we all know what a jolt to the senses ammonia is to our nose..and of course, a dog's nose is about a million times better, so he may not even touch the garbage container...and move on to "greener pastures"..
  I raised dogs for years in a very rural area, and never let them "free roam". My dogs were all pure bred Airedales and Jack Russells and I used them for hunting as well as competition. They did not "free roam" because I didn't want them "trashing".. 
Then too; folks drove to my house to buy pups..I didn't want them driving by places that had some 1/2 Airedales and 1/2 Jack Russells running around..not good for a kennel's reputation..

Also, any sizeable dog allowed to roam will sooner or later be chasing deer..most often with "casual friends."
    Some folks actually think that if Rover is sleeping by the garage when they turn the lights out and they find him there in the morning..he has slept there all night...that's
    not necessarily so !

How did JRT's and Airedales get along?  The Airedales I know don't distinguish between one small, furry critter and another.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #69 on: February 02, 2008, 02:38:50 AM »
   I do find it humorous however, that..some of our folks in another thread, thought a Mr White should be allowed to shoot a teenager that was drunk and annoying him on his own property...yet where a dog does the same thing, ...then these same folks advise you to call the dog warden or sheriff.. :D   Kinda funny, I thought...LOL

That's comparing apples to oranges.     Humans are supposed to know right from wrong and make intelligent decisions.  Dogs just do their thing.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #70 on: February 02, 2008, 03:45:48 AM »

That's comparing apples to oranges.     Humans are supposed to know right from wrong and make intelligent decisions.  Dogs just do their thing.

Actually, I bet Mr. White wishes he would have let the police handle it......

While I'm a strong proponent of self defense, I also understand there are repercussions that always occur after the use of deadly force.

It's always cheaper to run away if possible.........my home owners has a $1000 deductible.........and I can't put a lawyer on retainer for that......
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Ranger J

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #71 on: February 02, 2008, 04:38:03 AM »
Wait until the dog has its head in the can and then sneak up and give it a shove into the can and then slam the lid on it.  Then take a stick and beat the dickens out of the can for about a minute or two.  Let the dog out and I bet its rear end will pass its front end leaving the yard and probably never come back.  If it doesn't work on dog, try on owner.

Rj

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #72 on: February 02, 2008, 04:53:22 AM »
"dogs just do their thing"  Sad but true. getting in your garbage is doing their thing, barking 24/7 is doing their thing, chasing deer is doing their thing, and so forth is doing their thing. Socializing them and training them to not do these things is being a good neighbor.  If you're not willing to spend the time to teach the dogs how to be good neighbors and citizens, you shouldn't have a dog.

Same thing can be said about kids.  >:(  

Ammonia does work very well.  I had forgetten but when I was a kid, we used ammonia in a squirt bottle to train dogs to not chase us while we were delivering papers.  It was a really stupid dog that needed a second lesson.   ;D

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #73 on: February 02, 2008, 05:33:04 AM »
Ahhh yes, my youth as a newsboy.  I always remember the cry "He won't bite!" while the %&$### latched onto my ankle as I was trying to pedal away on my bike.
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #74 on: February 02, 2008, 06:50:47 AM »
  I understand what you're aiming at Brett..but with so many consarned, greedy, look for a problem lawyers around..that complicates things for our homes and our dogs..in fact in every aspect of life.

The fellow that was sitting in for Rush on Friday made a funny statement about such stuff, he said:

" Is that an ambulance I hear ?...Oh, it's not ?...Then why is John Edwards running ?" ;D

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2008, 04:37:52 PM »

I don't want to get into that Mr White shooting the kid discussion, but I will flip your arguement over here:

It is apples to oranges.  A dog is just a.........dog.  I don't like dogs, but I don't hate them either.  In any event it is a non-reasoning ANIMAL with no soul.  At least that is what Sister Geraldine told me in the 5th grade.  A dog is a dog, killing an animal might be a crime but I am not taking away father/son/brother.   

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2008, 01:25:25 AM »
bottom line , own a pet - keep it under control !
if you let it become a neighborhood dog don't get pissed when a neighbor punishes  it for screwing up !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Dee

« Reply #77 on: February 04, 2008, 02:47:18 AM »
There ya go SHOOTALL. Or if it goes missing!

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #78 on: February 04, 2008, 07:42:02 AM »
same with kids !

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #79 on: February 04, 2008, 07:44:20 AM »
better clarify , if ya don't want them screwed up don't let um roam ,

Offline crustaceous

• Contributor
  • back for a limited engagement
« Reply #80 on: February 04, 2008, 10:10:07 AM »
I used to live in a tiny town (population 200) way up in the mountains of Colorado. The unwritten rule was that your dog was welcome to run loose (and they all did) but if it was a trouble maker someone would shoot it.
One winter day my friend was giving some guests a walking tour of the town.  They passed a trailer that had a black lab digging through the garbage cans when a man clad in his underwear comes running out of the trailer, shoots the dog, throws it in one of the garbage cans, and then runs back inside.
The visitors, after the initial shock, said " shouldn't you call the police?"
"Well we don't have a police department and I'm not sure the sheriff's department will drive all the way up here for this."
"Well then shouldn't you at least call the Mayor?"
"That was the Mayor"
Those were the good ole days!

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2008, 10:22:03 AM »
  Kev;
   I had no trouble keeping the Airedales and Jack Russells seperated...because I didn't have them at the same time. I had the Airedales for about 15 years; from '65 to '80...followed by the Russells for about 10 years.
   I did however have more than one macho male of either breed at times. Just a matter of watching them and controlling them..

As Shootall & Dee said,.. just like raising kids....LOL

Offline Dee

« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2008, 10:53:53 AM »
Huff (my Jack Russell male) is a 200 lb dog, trapped in a 20 lb body. He will tackle a Rottweiler, as quick as he would a Chihuahua. I call it Tombstone Courage. He just seems to always win. Go figure. I will no doubt eventually have to bail him out I think. When they see him coming, they expect a smelling contest FIRST, and perhaps a little growling. That ain't Huff's style. When he gets there (and trust me he IS hurrying to get there) is when the fight STARTS. Right then! No smelling, no threatening, NOTHING! I think the other dog is always in shock.
THIS attitude is why I keep him in a half acre FENCE. Oh, and by the way. Strange female dogs get the same respect as the male trespassers.

Offline kevthebassman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #83 on: February 04, 2008, 10:58:11 AM »
  Kev;
   I had no trouble keeping the Airedales and Jack Russells seperated...because I didn't have them at the same time. I had the Airedales for about 15 years; from '65 to '80...followed by the Russells for about 10 years.
   I did however have more than one macho male of either breed at times. Just a matter of watching them and controlling them..

As Shootall & Dee said,.. just like raising kids....LOL

Those Airedales are magnificent dogs but I am leery of getting one while the woman insists on keeping little yappydogs (I call them coyote snacks) around the house.  Maybe I ought to just get rid of the woman?

Offline Dee

« Reply #84 on: February 04, 2008, 11:26:09 AM »
My wife has a 4 lb male poodle. He's a wuss, but she loves him. He does his business, in the front yard. The back yard has an a@# whipping in it, so he isn't allowed back there. Wife loves'em both, but recognizes the difference.
Because of Huff, we have no copperheads, rattlers, mice, rats and neighbors cats. Of course some of the neighbors no longer have cats, but hey.  ;D

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #85 on: February 04, 2008, 01:37:41 PM »
Dee;
   It's hard to train 'em off cats...or any other "furry" thing, for that matter..LOL

Offline Dee

« Reply #86 on: February 04, 2008, 01:46:24 PM »
Dee;
   It's hard to train 'em off cats...or any other "furry" thing, for that matter..LOL

Train'em off cats! No way! I wouldn't even consider it. I hate cats. The last thing I need is cat crap in moma's flower beds. What Huff don't get the trap does.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #87 on: February 05, 2008, 12:17:23 AM »
   Dee;
     Once again, we totally agree !...LOL

I have a couple obnoxious cats that sometimes visit from the old lady up the street.
     If I didn't know she loves them so much..I might be inclined to feed them a couple CCI capsules..

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #88 on: February 05, 2008, 02:15:50 AM »
cats only usefulness is target practice !

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #89 on: February 05, 2008, 03:58:12 PM »
Dee;

Train'em off cats! No way! I wouldn't even consider it. I hate cats. The last thing I need is cat crap in moma's flower beds. What Huff don't get the trap does.

I hate cats. If you get one cat running around and you don't stop it then the next week you have 30 other stray cats running around.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick