Author Topic: .17 RemingtonFireball?  (Read 1039 times)

Offline MISSEDSHOT

• Trade Count: (0)
.17 RemingtonFireball?
« on: January 25, 2008, 04:58:33 PM »
Should this be even more of a possibility since new ownership is Remington? Is it a reality already and I just missed it? .17 Fireball in a Handi !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline dumgunny

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
Re: .17 RemingtonFireball?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 05:02:11 PM »
The old owner was Marlin....but no love for the .308 Marlin handi...............=(

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 05:15:26 PM »
Sure would like to have a .17 Remington Fireball.  .17 HMR just don't have the oomph for a shot over 200 yards. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 08:13:32 PM »
Easy to have, a reamer and a .17 HMR barrel and you have got one.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 10:15:22 PM »
Was thinking the same thing.  Get a .17 HMR barrel fitted to my Ultra and then have it reamed to .17 Remington Fireball.  But would the rate of twist be correct?
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline saltydog

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 02:00:08 AM »
Centerfire cartridge in a rimfire proofed barrel - interesting concept.

Offline NAM70

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 03:39:21 AM »
Just woke up so I might not be thinking straight yet-but would the firing pin even hit the primer? I'm new year but have been lurking for some time. I'm getting ready to get my first Handi-a 204. I have a scope laying around that needs a rifle. I've been looking at these handis for some time and really liked them. Dave

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 06:16:47 AM »
The use of the rimfire barrel for a centerfire rechamber would require an SB2 frame, the rimfire SS1 frame wouldn't work even if it was made for centerfire pressures. Some have questioned the use of the 1137 steel rimfire barrel in a centerfire chambering, but those that have actually done rechambers have had no problems so far, but there haven't been many of them either. Centerfire barrels are 4140 alloy.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 08:33:18 AM »
I was told by a person at Green Mountian they made the 17 barrels for NEF and that they were 4140.  Could not prove it either way, but my 17 remington barrel didn't blow up. NEF 17 barrels are a 1 in 9 twist, so they are good up to 30gr bullets in a CF, and the barrel blanks GM sell are also a 1 in 9 twist and made with 4140, check their web site.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 08:43:40 AM »
They were at one time made by GM, but all current production rimfire barrels are made by Marlin of 1137.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline navylawdog

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 12:18:33 PM »
I wish they would make one in .17 fireball. I would buy that in a heart beat. Then coyotes beware! The .22-250 will work for that job until then.

Navylawdog

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2008, 04:06:17 PM »
This would be a good choice in a Handi, it should shoot well & I hope they chamber it.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline darat100

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (79)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 09:45:38 AM »
Please excuse my stupidity in never playing with any of the .17 centerfires.  Are there any advantages to the .17 over the 204?

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 01:49:39 PM »
Please excuse my stupidity in never playing with any of the .17 centerfires.  Are there any advantages to the .17 over the 204?

My thoughts also.  Plus it seems the .17 Fireball is less of a cartridge than the .17 Remington.  I have been reading and trying to learn.  Then I saw velocities for a .17 K-Hornet not very far behind the .17 Fireball.  I have a barrel and would like to try a project but still uncertain which way to head.
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline kevthebassman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2008, 01:56:19 PM »
.17 Fireball is a little brother to the .17 Remington, performance wise.  It's a nice little cartridge to have, but I don't think it does anything that you can't do with a .17 Rem.

Offline navylawdog

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2008, 02:48:38 PM »
Probably the only advantage it would have over the .204 is smaller bullet smaller hole. The advantage sure isn't range because the .204 has it beat there but it is just a matter of preference. I would like to have a .204 as well, but a centerfire .17 would be nice to have too and I would rather have the new round as opposed to the old one.

Navylawdog

Offline kevthebassman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2008, 02:36:01 AM »
a centerfire .17 would be nice to have too and I would rather have the new round as opposed to the old one.

Why is that?  Just because it's new?

Offline eskimo36

• Trade Count: (156)
    • Adventure Rider
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2008, 02:49:09 AM »
I have been shooting a 17 Remington for 20 years using 20 and 25 grain bullets at about 3950 fps.  I like seeing the bullet strike the target/coyote.  The 17's let you do that.  It is less effected by wind at moderate ranges than you might think due to quick time of flight.  It is bad in the rain at any range and bad in the wind past 250 yds.  The 17 fireball should be about the same with 20 grain bullets.

Seeing bang/flop in the scope is great entertainment and caps off a good calling session.
"one shot is usually enough"

Offline kevthebassman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2008, 03:02:36 AM »
I shoot the 25 grain Berger match bullets.  At normal calling ranges of 15 to 150 yards, they're deadly.  A solid hit usually results in no exit.  Little hole in, no hole out.  If you get a bad shot on them, you get the occasional spinner or runner, but most times they fall asleep in the scope without much ceremony or drama.

Offline navylawdog

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2008, 12:41:11 PM »
a centerfire .17 would be nice to have too and I would rather have the new round as opposed to the old one.

Why is that?  Just because it's new?

Not so much because it is new but more because it is different. I always buy guns that not everyone has. The few that I have that are normal are bought more for a certain purpose than just to shoot. Then I try to customize them in some way to set them apart.

Navylawdog

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2008, 06:55:12 PM »
Navylawdog, I like your logic.  It makes sense to me.
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline kevthebassman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2008, 02:55:38 AM »
I read you.  I'm one more for the classics, myself.