Author Topic: New Gun  (Read 797 times)

Offline Steve Pennington

• Trade Count: (2)
New Gun
« on: January 30, 2008, 03:52:46 AM »
I just bought an Optima Elite with 308 barrel.  It has fiber optic sights.  It says it has a 1:10 twist rate.  I have a few of questions.

1)  Can you buy a thumbhole stock for it reasonably?

2)  Was $250.00 too much to pay?

3)  I use Weaver bases on my Encores, I can't find a listing for Optima elite will bases for an Optima muzzleloader work?

Offline Tunaman

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
Re: New Gun
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 04:27:30 AM »
Congrats on your new gun, I am sure that you will be more than happy with it. CVA sells the thumb-hole stocks, I am not sure how much as mine came with one. he best bases for the OE are the Durasight 1 piece. You will notice that the mounting holes are a bit too close for 2 piece. Your price sounds right in the ball park.
Have Fun,
Tuna

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 06:48:57 AM »
Congrats on the OE!! ;) See the scope base sticky for sources of the Durasight base. The synthetic thumbhole is available from CVA for $55, they also list a laminate, but dunno if it's available. You won't like the any 2-pc base, as Tunaman said, they're too close together, get the Durasight 1-pc.

Tim

http://cva.com/products/access_stocks.htm
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline texashooter

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 04:06:48 AM »
Heck in looking at that stock , they must think people have a really big thumb ! looks more like a arm hole than a thumb hole

Offline Ol JohnnyBoy

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 07:24:16 PM »
I just bought an Optima Elite with 308 barrel.  It has fiber optic sights.  It says it has a 1:10 twist rate.  I have a few of questions.

1)  Can you buy a thumbhole stock for it reasonably?

2)  Was $250.00 too much to pay?

3)  I use Weaver bases on my Encores, I can't find a listing for Optima elite will bases for an Optima muzzleloader work?

I haven't found one for under $290.00. Where'd you find one for $250.00? Sounds like a sweet deal to me.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 08:37:46 PM »
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Steve Pennington

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 06:24:38 PM »
I found it used on a local Internet Classifieds site. 
I am waiting on Midway to send my Durasight base and sights.  Can't wait to shoot my new rifle.  Thanks for the advice on scope bases.

Offline youthpastorjon

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 08:51:50 AM »
Dick's Sporting Goods was running a sale on the OE's.  I bought my two weeks ago for $400.  It was blued with the thumbhole and included a 209x50 barrel and I also got a 45-70 barrel.  Not bad for $400.  My encore frame alone has about $400 into it.  I couldn't believe that I could get all of that for such an awesome price. I would say that you got a great deal for $250.  I just wanted everyone else to be aware of the opportunity through dicks.  They just have you mail in a form and they send your barrel via ups in about 2 weeks.

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 04:24:58 PM »
Sounds good. The price is about right since they went up this year.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick